Our wingers under the high ball...(new rules)

Very good article, and I have no doubt it is true that all teams are practicing for this and it will be a huge tactical change.

Looking at all the squads, us and Saints would seem to be the worst positioned. Saints won’t be able to play someone like Sailor on the wing.

Both our seemingly first choice wingers, Nofa and Cory, will be hugely exposed. To the point where every team may well simply kick at them on the 6th.

Going to be very frustrating if we defend our line well, only to have Ferguson / Daniel Toupo/ most athletic, tall wingers, simply out jump Cory and Nofa.

Not sure what we do…it may be we need to consider Jennings and Momo as wingers? Maybe Tommy?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rule-change-that-threatens-to-make-nrl-more-like-afl-20200217-p541jd.html

last edited by ElleryHanley

If you haven’t seen this, look at the highlights with the Holy Cross Ryde winger under the high ball.

https://www.facebook.com/NrlSchoolboyCup/videos/2296473067280988/

I can’t wait for the first penalty try awarded for this new rule change. A ridiculous rule change that will encourage boring play. Well done NRL.

You give away a penalty

There’ll be more penalties for block plays than ever this year I reckon. Easy tries for tall wingers

There will be so much grey area about will be deemed contesting the ball vs playing the man. It’s going to be a nightmare.

Contest the ball …pretty simple…

@Geo said in Our wingers under the high ball...(new rules):

Agreed, but the suggested ‘AFL sytle contest’ or Ink’s idea of giving away a pen, both come with repeat sets on our line.

I.e. tries will come at some point.

I have never been a Jennings fan, but one thing he ‘is’ decent at is the high ball.

I’d almost say he should be the first winger picked… (as hard as that is to write!)

@Fraze23 said in Our wingers under the high ball...(new rules):

I can’t wait for the first penalty try awarded for this new rule change. A ridiculous rule change that will encourage boring play. Well done NRL.

Agreed it is a dud rule change.

I absolutely hate it already when teams valiantly defend their line up the guts …scramble to save tries out wide…and ‘then’ concede softly on kicks. Absolutely hate it. I have always felt tries from kicks should be worth less.

This will compound all that.

Mommo and Jennings to the wing Nofo … enjoy canterbury cup

@Geo said in Our wingers under the high ball...(new rules):

And learn how to position yourself so you make it very difficult for your opponent to get a clean attempt at the ball.

@Jedi_Tiger said in Our wingers under the high ball...(new rules):

Mommo and Jennings to the wing Nofo … enjoy canterbury cup

Momo is not a winger imo he should play centre

Not only tall players or wingers it also would have suited Billy Slater and other that are good in the air

I’d have money on a rule adjustment before round 7.

@Masterton said in Our wingers under the high ball...(new rules):

I’d have money on a rule adjustment before round 7.

Unlikely, as this new change was driven by medical people.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.