Who will save NRL post Covid

If (C’mon, when) NRL closes the season, with out the $80 million sustainability fund they chose to spend all of it incase of keeping, and instead desperately trying to call it an essential service . What is likely to happen? NRL will likely be broke. Im wondering if a new SuperLeague will happen? Some rich person can own a new rugby league competition if NRL does collapse for fairly cheap and sell the rights. Surely the game will continue. Any other ideas?

Fox will …it is their golden goose

@Jay said in Who will save NRL post Covid:

If (C’mon, when) NRL closes the season, with out the $80 million sustainability fund they chose to spend all of it incase of keeping, and instead desperately trying to call it an essential service . What is likely to happen? NRL will likely be broke. Im wondering if a new SuperLeague will happen? Some rich person can own a new rugby league competition if NRL does collapse for fairly cheap and sell the rights. Surely the game will continue. Any other ideas?

i had the same conversation with my mate. He is of the belief the NRL will be no longer.

wouldn’t mind a reset. have sometimes hoped tigers get kicked out so i can stop re-living the heartbreaks.

I guess the biggest problem is what position Fox will be in 6 months times I guess as well

They will start losing suscribers hand over fist at the moment

Yeah Fox will be broke as well - they were already struggling, and the NRL was their cash cow.

But if the NRL will struggle, just imagine some of those European soccer competitions that pay hundred million dollar salaries. They’ll be absolutely buggered in no time at all.

That game will survive no question. The only thing being saved right now is the jobs of people who will not necessarily get the same positions in a new regime.

Come to think of it, didn’t rugby league start in the 1890s depression? (in England that is, I know it was 1908 here). Rugby league has always been the sport of those doing it tough. The sport will survive anything, even if the NRL as a competition doesn’t.

The comp will look different and hopefully smarter. Start again with new teams all with defined regions they look after. A lot of people will be out of the game but it will find a place on tv and in the public interest.

@TillLindemann said in Who will save NRL post Covid:

Come to think of it, didn’t rugby league start in the 1890s depression? (in England that is, I know it was 1908 here). Rugby league has always been the sport of those doing it tough. The sport will survive anything, even if the NRL as a competition doesn’t.

Over time NRL has become a Billion Golden $ Egg.

Foxtel without sport will disappear entirely… no need for Foxtel with the streaming services . NRL are there cash cows and there draw card .
Off course there will be a new competition but a much different one …
Imo probably a couple of multi nation corporations will own it , they will work out who will be in and out … will be what clubs have the best drawing power on Tv what supporter bases they have ?
There will be mergers if current clubs won’t to have any representation and there will be no option!
Mergers -Dragons/ Sharks … Penrith / Parra …Titans / new Brisbane club…Roosters - Souths should be but have connections… I do not see Manly surviving .
Bulldogs ? and the Tigers Reckon they will be Ok as they are and have been very marketable.
Storm - Cowboys- Broncos -knights ok -Warriors ? Depends how profitable it would be .That is 11 teams with one spot available for a 12 team comp!

last edited by Snake

Politis will buy it and the Roosters will continue to win every year and buy whoever they want as per usual.

nrl need fox now more than ever they will prop up the game they need the content .
Afl long term will be in trouble as who will bail them out i know they own a stadium etc but chanel 7 etc wont bail them out and it is a spectator game not a tv game so with tv the way it is they wont chuck in heaps.
League is built for tv foxtel will survive with it and flourish.

Dragons and sharks likely merge
manly gone
gold coast gone
warriors gone
newcastle ?
changing times if it stops but i think it will pushbtrhough like racing

@Jedi_Tiger said in Who will save NRL post Covid:

Dragons and sharks likely merge
manly gone
gold coast gone
warriors gone
newcastle ?
changing times if it stops but i think it will pushbtrhough like racing

Roosters should be the first to go, but of course they won’t be.

Gold Coast is a struggler but may survive just for being from Queensland. Sharks and Manly may not survive.

I think the 4 western Sydney teams (Wests Tigers, Parra, Penrith, Bulldogs) all bring more in terms of fans, players, and money than do the Sharks and Manly. Dragons may resist a Sharks merger given, like us, they’ve already merged. So I think St George Illawarra surviving by themselves is more likely than the mouthful of “St George Illawarra Cronulla Sutherland”

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.