The Future

So I’m hearing a few contrary reports re. Wests Tigers’ security as a club.

On one hand, we’re mentioned as one of the more vulnerable clubs. That this crisis may cause us to fold or have to relocate.
On the other hand, I hear we are one of the few clubs that has made a profit in recent years, that we haven’t stood down employees and that we are in safe hands.

Which is it? Or does nobody really know? And how do we stand compared to other clubs?

@Tiger-Tarl said in The Future:

On one hand, we’re mentioned as one of the more vulnerable clubs. That this crisis may cause us to fold or have to relocate.
On the other hand, I hear we are one of the few clubs that has made a profit in recent years, that we haven’t stood down employees and that we are in safe hands.

Which is it? Or does nobody really know? And how do we stand compared to other clubs?

Mate speculation is running rife at the moment…things are changing day to day…nobody will know how we all stand let alone the NRL until this thing is finished and we get back to as normal as possible,after we see the destruction that this caused,is when we can at least make an accessment on our future…

I had a dig through the financial statements the other day and Ashfield leagues has around $50 million in assets (which will take a hit, but still substantial) and the Wests Tigers as a club, have been running at pretty much break-even, suggesting lower than average overheads.

Yes, the leagues clubs will have to shut for a period of time. But I can’t see it eroding all their assets. Hopefully, they’ve got some fairly liquid ones (i.e. Cash) which will get them through this period.

Plus, we also have some heavy financial backers with Harry and Lee that can tip in a bit of cash.

I think we’ll be fine.

The interesting one is uncle nick at the Roosters. His fortune has been absolutely smashed recently. His stock, APE, has lost 80% of it’s value in the last few months. He’s still a rich man, but he’ll be hurting.

16 teams will need to be involved in order to maximise tv revenue. The league, as much as it may want to use this opportunity to remove some teams from Sydney and start them anew in Brisbane, NZ and the west, I don’t think would be silly enough to alienate the fans of the clubs removed. As said in another thread, there are fans of the Bears that have never returned. If a team was close to folding, then that will probably still happen, with this crisis just a speed up of the inevitable. Personally, I think we’ll be sweet.

Read this morning that if the Nrl do not play again this season Ch 9 want to walk away from the remainder of the TV rights deal ! I see this as 9 just wanting out as there business is tanking anyway
Not worried as it all will be streamed in the future anyways … Looks like that is what’s going to happen with Fox sports anyway ! If 9 walk away in the short term the game is in major trouble and I hope players have put some away for a rainy day … they certainly will not be earning the money they have been that’s for sure .
Parra /Panthers / dogs/ Manly/ Sharks are the ones Imo will be struggling :
As mentioned our club is running at a break even so if some prudent cost cutting and Sponsorship can offer something moving forward the club could survive .
I have said before there should be a few mergers probable 2 =. 4 teams in Sydney !

last edited by Snake
👍

I heard Buzz Grogfield being interviewed and I guessed before he even started that WT would be a club in trouble but surprisingly (cough cough), Cronulla were the actually one of the safest teams on his list. He also said Panthers and Eels would be fine.

I think that says it all

last edited by Swordy

Simply put if you don’t have a private backer and are relying on a leagues club support you are in strife

I can’t say this enough …we need Harry Triguboff bad …real bad

🤔👍

You would have to think, if WT are at risk of going down the gurglar, Harry would step in. Either that, or he’s not a legit supporter.

There’s a big difference between wanting to own / run the club and saving it from extinction.

👍

@hammertime said in The Future:

I had a dig through the financial statements the other day and Ashfield leagues has around $50 million in assets (which will take a hit, but still substantial) and the Wests Tigers as a club, have been running at pretty much break-even, suggesting lower than average overheads.

Yes, the leagues clubs will have to shut for a period of time. But I can’t see it eroding all their assets. Hopefully, they’ve got some fairly liquid ones (i.e. Cash) which will get them through this period.

Plus, we also have some heavy financial backers with Harry and Lee that can tip in a bit of cash.

I think we’ll be fine.

The interesting one is uncle nick at the Roosters. His fortune has been absolutely smashed recently. His stock, APE, has lost 80% of it’s value in the last few months. He’s still a rich man, but he’ll be hurting.

Roosters have Politis and a rich league’s club. Anyone hoping they won’t make it will be disappointed.

@jirskyr said in The Future:

You would have to think, if WT are at risk of going down the gurglar, Harry would step in. Either that, or he’s not a legit supporter.

There’s a big difference between wanting to own / run the club and saving it from extinction.

Just keep him away from the CV OK …we aren’t blessed with luck

I don’t get the Harry T saviour posts…

I’d be looking more at Lee Hagipantelis…we are in a good position…

@Geo said in The Future:

One is the richest man in Australia …the other isn’t …you and Hobbo share a brain don’t you …and at the moment the brain is still in the packet and in transit

🤣

@happy_tiger said in The Future:

@Geo said in The Future:

One is the richest man in Australia …the other isn’t …you and Hobbo share a brain don’t you …and at the moment the brain is still in the packet and in transit

Well when one has shown no real interest in putting his hand in his pocket apart from the odd kitchen reno and gym refit and the other has more than tripled the amount of Corporate sponsorship since he came on board I know which horse I’m backing…

@Geo said in The Future:

@Geo said in The Future:

Well when one has shown no real interest in putting his hand in his pocket apart from the odd kitchen reno and gym refit and the other has more than tripled the amount of Corporate sponsorship since he came on board I know which horse I’m backing…

Throw him in the cooler (hapster)

😂

@Geo said in The Future:

@Geo said in The Future:

The bloke from who it is barely a drop in the ocean …

You seem to think we will only need a small amount of many …has Lee got access to multiple millions he can literally write a check for on the spot and makes the problem disappear in these current times

I think Harry would see this as his way of saving the club he loves …I guess some people see the current times and question their legacy moving forward

👍

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.