Running

Any other runners on here?

I was due to run a 12k fun run today as a warm up event to a few events later in the year I was aiming for. Despite not really being into it I thought I’d get up this morning and do the distance as it was what I had planned. Ended up doing 15k.

I had a half marathon down for May and still want to try and run the distance at that time. Anyone else out here with some running goals they want to aim for while we are social distancing. Might be able to motivate each other.

@Chicken_Faced_Killa said in Running:

I was due to run a 12k fun run today as a warm up event to a few events later in the year I was aiming for. Despite not really being into it I thought I’d get up this morning and do the distance as it was what I had planned. Ended up doing 15k.

I had a half marathon down for May and still want to try and run the distance at that time. Anyone else out here with some running goals they want to aim for while we are social distancing. Might be able to motivate each other.

I used to run up until the birth of my son.

About to move somewhere temporarily for the next 12 months while my home is being built, it’s a bit flatter than where we live so I’m going to make the most of it and start running for 15 minutes a day again. Used to be able to clock 3km in under 15. Would like to try to get to the point where I’m nudging 12 minutes.

@Cultured_Bogan said in Running:

About to move somewhere temporarily for the next 12 months while my home is being built, it’s a bit flatter than where we live so I’m going to make the most of it and start running for 15 minutes a day again. Used to be able to clock 3km in under 15. Would like to try to get to the point where I’m nudging 12 minutes.

That’s a quick time for 3km. I normally aim for 5:30!kms over the distance. Enjoy getting back into running the first weeks are tough.

That’s a quick time for 3km. I normally aim for 5:30!kms over the distance. Enjoy getting back into running the first weeks are tough.

Yeah I’d like to run longer distances, but I have low iron and exercise intolerance issues. Apparently those two issues could be linked.

Yeah I’d like to run longer distances, but I have low iron and exercise intolerance issues. Apparently those two issues could be linked.

My wife has low iron. Makes exercise difficult

I’m a bit of a lapsed runner. I’ve run a marathon before but that was about 8 years ago…I started back up again yesterday because I felt like I needed to get out of the house and get moving. I broke the run up a bit with some intervals, push ups, crunches and stretching and managed to get through it ok. Stupidly I also did some bodyweight squats and lunges which made the rest of the run very uncomfortable…I recommend incorporating some intervals into your training (if you don’t already) - I find them really good mental conditioning for the longer distances.

@Nelson said in Running:

I’m a bit of a lapsed runner. I’ve run a marathon before but that was about 8 years ago…I started back up again yesterday because I felt like I needed to get out of the house and get moving. I broke the run up a bit with some intervals, push ups, crunches and stretching and managed to get through it ok. Stupidly I also did some bodyweight squats and lunges which made the rest of the run very uncomfortable…I recommend incorporating some intervals into your training (if you don’t already) - I find them really good mental conditioning for the longer distances.

Sounds like a good work out. Thanks for the tip I’m planning on doing the Sydney Marathon in September whatever that looks like now. I’ve done a half a few times and those last few kms are killer mentally. Mixing up training might help with that.

@Nelson said in Running:

Sounds like a good work out. Thanks for the tip I’m planning on doing the Sydney Marathon in September whatever that looks like now. I’ve done a half a few times and those last few kms are killer mentally. Mixing up training might help with that.

The 30k mark was the killer for me - weird pains started in the hips and lower back, my feet were a bloody mess and I hadn’t been forcing myself to take gels so my body was just eating itself very inefficiently for fuel. If you do have a go at the marathon get used to taking gels on some of your longer training runs so you’re conditioned to taking them when they’re hot and disgusting and the last thing you feel like eating…

I run for 2 reasons

1. My wellbeing is imminently at risk

2. I have explosive diarrhoea and need the porcelain pronto.

Edit.
3. Someone has taken off with my beer

last edited by Hangonaminute

@Nelson said in Running:

@Nelson said in Running:

The 30k mark was the killer for me - weird pains started in the hips and lower back, my feet were a bloody mess and I hadn’t been forcing myself to take gels so my body was just eating itself very inefficiently for fuel. If you do have a go at the marathon get used to taking gels on some of your longer training runs so you’re conditioned to taking them when they’re hot and disgusting and the last thing you feel like eating…

At mate of mine said it was the 29k mark that got him. Really want to build up to it, not fussed on time just want to finish

I was into running for a few months. Messed my knee up and gave myself tendenitis. Age is catching up.

I was once slightly fast high 11s for 100,which on a big scale isn’t fast at all lol
I made Harold Mats in 2007 played 1 game and tore an acl,came back to footy when I was 18 and tore my same acl 6 months later.played all the way up to 25.28 now with a completely wrecked knee.feels like it’s made of chalk.
I’ll never forget making the squad and the head trainer saying running 2kms anything over 8 mins is slow.ive always trained to that,but it’s becoming a struggle.my biggest advice to anyone is avoid hard surfaces like the plague,only run on grass or a treadmill.also found short sprints do wonders for long distance running 🔥

@GNR4LIFE said in Running:

I was into running for a few months. Messed my knee up and gave myself tendenitis. Age is catching up.

Wait until you get to my age “Gunner”

@GNR4LIFE said in Running:

Don’t run on concrete or asphalt mate.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.