Sports Stars and drugs...

I know we can talk different subjects on this forum,I would like to say how badly Ben Cousins has fallen from grace after a very successful AFL career …He was captain of the West Coast Eagles and a Brownlow Medalist…
Apparently the life after being on a pedestal for so long has got to him.he was charged with 15 offenses again today one of which is drugs related…
I suppose living the good life while being a sports star doesn’t always make life a breeze after hanging up the boots…
He has got an addiction to meth,my thoughts are that too many players of all codes get way to much many and sometimes not enough education on how to handle the money after sport…
I honestly hope he can rehabilitate,because the road he is on doesn’t end well…

🤗👏

He’ll end up like Ryan Tandy, OD’ing in a bedroom of his parents home.

This guy just can’t get himself together. Clearly very unwell. He has had numerous recoveries from his addiction and keeps falling back in. Hopefully he can get himself together and it doesn’t end in a tragic death.

Authorities should leave the bloke alone …it’s his choice

Personally I don’t agree with the way our culture deals with people with drug addiction.
We seem to take the attitude of you can’t help a person unless they want to be helped. You can’t keep someone in a drug rehab place against their wishes for example, not a court or mental health tribunal or anyone, no one can legally force someone else to rehabilitation. Even if the person is really messed up, and their family wants it, and they say that they themself want it.

I’m not saying we should force everyone into these places, but I think there are extreme cases where it should be an option. I’ve worked with people who have completely fried their brain, and brought on mental health issues where they get worse and worse and are more and more debilitated the longer they use, but you just can’t stop them/ help them.

Meth is an evil damned drug. I don’t know if anyone has the answer to that.

@hobbo1 said in Sports Stars and drugs...:

Media should leave him alone, totally.

Authorities only care if he ends up in hospital or court, as it is taking up resources/time.

The guy had everything most people can only dream about

Stuffed up

Couldn’t handle it

Had more help than most in his position because of his stature

Still stuffs up

Just a total loser who doesn’t deserve any help anymore

I know some will bag me on here but that’s how I feel

Just let the bloke got in his own personal little way and forget about him

Can’t mother the grub forever

👏

Honestly, when did politicians and footballers reverse standards.
In the old days, footballers would fight, be rude to women, do a tonne of beer and what not. Yet if a politician did this they were pillars of the community.
Now some 30ish year old football player, who lets face it may be good academically but probably wasn’t is expected to have standards of not doing drugs while our politicians act like 4 year olds?

The logic is insane.
Give a 24 year old an 800K contract. Put them in a high performance/high pressure situation away from their normal peer group (however good or bad that is), add painful injuries… What do we expect?

Look I don’t care because it is AFL. But no one should Ryan Tandy and someone should have Banned Sam Ayoub from the game. Meth sucks.
That being said if the guy is just taking himself, the idea of throwing him in jail is dumb and silly (just don’t work). Won’t help him or anyone else. Either commit to fixing his life or Leave Him Alone.

last edited by crazycat

I agree a little, but he keeps getting pulled over because he’s swerving all over the road.

The only difference between him and Andrew johns is Joey appears to have come out the other side although possibly wasn’t as bad. Imo their star status during their careers didn’t help with people turning a blind eye

@JD-Tiger said in Sports Stars and drugs...:

Authorities only care if he ends up in hospital or court, as it is taking up resources/time.

He doesn’t mind the media attention/spotlight when it suits though. Can’t have it both ways IMO. He was happy to do that documentary a few weeks ago (most likely due to the $$$$ Channel 7 would’ve thrown at him), but he was totally non-committal with his answers when it came to the hard questions and still joked about his drug usage.
Drug addiction must be hell no doubt, but he’s got a couple of little kids and his parents have shown nothing but total love and support for him from day 1 when his problems came to light. Cannot fathom how you could let your loved ones go through torment because of your own selfish actions. He clearly doesn’t want help, he is basically a lost cause at this point.

Like way too many, the guy needs help, but can’t accept it and is just like all of us in that he has made mistakes in life.

Ben doesn’t want this and would say goodbye to it if he could, but sadly, he is just one of the number that try crystal meth and then seemingly cannot fully escape from it, not the guy profiting from misery, he is the one suffering it and should be treated accordingly.

Or killing someone while in control of a motor Vehicle

So we should wait till he kills someones child ?
I don’t think so
If a person has a drug addiction or alcohol addiction then their licence should be revoked before they kill someone
Get caught driving again then go to jail

But yes I agree that the Media should leave ben or anyone in his position alone
Trial by media should never be allowed

Social media can and is just as bad

Personally I don’t agree with the way our culture deals with people with drug addiction.
We seem to take the attitude of you can’t help a person unless they want to be helped. You can’t keep someone in a drug rehab place against their wishes for example, not a court or mental health tribunal or anyone, no one can legally force someone else to rehabilitation. Even if the person is really messed up, and their family wants it, and they say that they themself want it.

I’m not saying we should force everyone into these places, but I think there are extreme cases where it should be an option. I’ve worked with people who have completely fried their brain, and brought on mental health issues where they get worse and worse and are more and more debilitated the longer they use, but you just can’t stop them/ help them.

Meth is an evil damned drug. I don’t know if anyone has the answer to that.

Its only rarely successful when a person wants help… Never successful when theyre not ready for help

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.