Vale Arthur Summons

Vale Arthur Summons
Author
Wests Tigers
Timestamp
Sun 17 May 2020, 09:47 AM

Wests Tigers would like to extend their condolences to the family of Arthur Summons following his passing last night.

A talented rugby union and league player, Summons enjoyed a strong club career in league with the Western Suburbs Magpies while also thriving on the international stage. The versatile playmaker represented City, Sydney and New South Wales before featuring for Australia on 27 occasions between 1961 and 1964.

He also captained the national rugby league team in five undefeated test matches from 1962 until 1964 before also later coaching the side.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe paid tribute to an iconic figure in the game.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to send my condolences to Arthur’s family,” Pascoe said. "We have lost a true giant of rugby league.

"Arthur was a wonderful man and player in his time and helped us all celebrate our great game for what makes it the best. He epitomises the importance what our game expects on and off the field and he will be remembered as for that.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, Western Suburbs and the rugby league family as a whole, this is a truly sad day for all of us but one that also allows us to look back and celebrate the wonderful history of our game and the role Arthur played in that.”

Having finished his career with the Wagga Magpies, Arthur’s contribution to rugby league was recognised by becoming a Life Member of the Sydney Cricket Ground as well as an inaugural member of the Western Suburbs Hall of Fame in 2008.

He was also inducted to the NRL’s official Hall of Fame registry.

A private service for Arthur will be held in Wagga Wagga later this week. The thoughts of all at Wests Tigers are with Arthur’s wife Pam and his family during this time.

8b3e42f3-6b99-4ebf-b679-cdbdd32f31bc-image.png

😔😭👍

Gosh … what a great person, player and a Club legend. RIP

👏👍

Gosh … what a great person, player and a Club legend. RIP

Had the pleasure of seeing him play for the Mighty Magpies and later in life meeting him at Wagga Wagga Leagues Club where he was in charge CHAMPION BLOKE and a LEGEND of our great game

👏👍

Oh no… Lost for words… He looked so well! I’m gobsmacked. And stunned

Rip Arthur… Condolences to the family 😥

👍

Very sad. Always good to see him and Norm together. One of the game’s biggest icons.

👍

Represented one of the real significant NRL moments in time. Sad day for the historians of NRL, and those who love the game. Condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad news indeed.

A true icon of the “Greatest game of all” on and off the strip. You will be greatly missed.

R.I.P. Arthur - condolences to your close friends and family.

👏

R.I.P Mr Arthur Summons and condolences to his family and friends…Forever immortalised with his mate Norm Provan in what I think is arguably the best looking trophy in the sporting world.

last edited by Tigerlily
👍

@Tigerlily said in Vale Arthur Summons:

arguably the best looking trophy in the sporting world.

and the best rugby league photograph ever taken. RIP Arthur Summons.

👍

@Elderslie_Tiger said in Vale Arthur Summons:

Had the pleasure of seeing him play for the Mighty Magpies and later in life meeting him at Wagga Wagga Leagues Club where he was in charge CHAMPION BLOKE and a LEGEND of our great game

Elderslie mate,I had the great pleasure of having many wonderful nights with Arthur’ Stumpy’ Summons when I played for Turvey Park,he owned the Tolland Hotel in Wagga and it was a stones throw from where I trained,played and lived…Arthur was a kind good hearted and loved icon who will be dearly missed,he was also a member of the A.H.A.as was I later after my playing days and we had many a meeting,lunch and drinks together…
My deepest sympathies go put to his wonderful family and huge family of friends…
A true legend of the game and life itself…
God Bless…

👍👏

A great man from a great era

RIP Arthur …my condolencses to his family and friends

👍

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.