Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington

This makes a controversial medical retirement and following Salary Cap compensation look ridiculous. Surely you can’t come out of retirement after a career ending injury.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/19/greg-inglis-set-to-make-return-with-english-club-warrington/

Can’t see this ending well given his reported injuries.

Anyone seen how much weight he has put on …Warrington obviously haven’t

Edit: not sure what to make of this.

He is allowed to retire and forfeit money. However if Souths had even $1 of that retirement wiped from their cap, it’s a rort. For example if he got paid for his coaching role and they wipe that off the cap (I am not clear if NRL did or did not) then it’s a mad rort.

last edited by jirskyr

He wasn’t medically retired and his salary last year was applied to the salary cap. The rort is it freed up 800k in their cap and allowed them to purchase arrow and Latrell.

Precedent set that you can now retire and the money goes out of the cap.

I guess you as a Warrington fan you would have to wonder why Iv signed Inglis

NRL, nothing’s changed. Different strokes for different folks. Wonder if V’landys has anything to say on this? Does he comment, or does he say nothing.

@Sart0ri said in Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington:

This makes a controversial medical retirement and following Salary Cap compensation look ridiculous. Surely you can’t come out of retirement after a career ending injury.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/19/greg-inglis-set-to-make-return-with-english-club-warrington/

Inglis was never medically retired,

Souff’s sought Cap relief by offering him a job in lieu getting Unca Wayne’s coffee’s which was granted by the NRL for this season…his salary was not included in the salary cap…

last edited by Geo

intresting

worth a watch

@Geo said in Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington:

Souff’s sought Cap relief by offering him a job in lieu getting Unca Wayne’s coffee’s which was granted by the NRL for this season…his salary was not included in the salary cap…

I am struggling to understand how that is any different from R Farah. Set up a new off-field job as an ongoing mechanism to defract the total cost of the agreement, whereby the initial hit is included in the cap but the final monies were not.

If I’m not mistaken, the intent was that Inglis would earn the remaining $1.5M of his contract via 5 years in an ambassador-coaching role with Souths, $300K p.a. I read an article by Bulldog Ritchie about it. Souths were able to have the 2020 onwards costs removed from their cap, with the 2019 payments (player and coach) included.

Which then means you can retire any player, even not needing to seek medical clearance, take a one-time cap hit (that you’ve probably already half-paid by March anyway), give them an ongoing role to funnel the remaining monies into, then they can return to the sport if they choose in the following season or after.

@jirskyr said in Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington:

@Geo said in Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington:

I am struggling to understand how that is any different from R Farah. Set up a new off-field job as an ongoing mechanism to defract the total cost of the agreement, whereby the initial hit is included in the cap but the final monies were not.

If I’m not mistaken, the intent was that Inglis would earn the remaining $1.5M of his contract via 5 years in an ambassador-coaching role with Souths, $300K p.a. I read an article by Bulldog Ritchie about it. Souths were able to have the 2020 onwards costs removed from their cap, with the 2019 payments (player and coach) included.

Which then means you can retire any player, even not needing to seek medical clearance, take a one-time cap hit (that you’ve probably already half-paid by March anyway), give them an ongoing role to funnel the remaining monies into, then they can return to the sport if they choose in the following season or after.

You would have to ask Todd…

It was how they were able to fit Latrell Mitchell into their cap for this season…

Can’t wait to next that Sam Burgess will be playing in the Super League as well!!

@TopTiger said in Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington:

Can’t wait to next that Sam Burgess will be playing in the Super League as well!!

If it gets him off Fox Sports I’m all for it …him and Ass Bandit (sorry meant Anasta ) have been an absolute embarrassment

👏

@TopTiger said in Greg Inglis set to make return with Warrington:

Hopefully Warrington announce the signing of Prodigy Chris Mcqueen Next !!

He can take Cody Walker with him

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.