28 May restart. Of what?

Please don’t believe that “rugby league” in the history, spirit and traditions of the game that started in 1908 resumes on 28 May 2020.

Instead, we have “rugba league”, the TV program, starting.

With ad-hoc rules and deals and a draw that must surely mean, whoever is the 2020 premiership winner, will carry * next to their name to show that their victory came in a season that represented an abandonment for the grass-roots of the sport and with an eye of the corporate $$ to get something on TV. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rugby league has been commodified for the self-importance of PVL.

Well done PVL. You’ve achieved the birth of “rugba league”, the game that sort of resembles rugby league, but with an emphasis on it being a TV program like Master Chef or Survivor or MAFS.

Nothing of substance or respect for the history or traditions of the game of rugby league. That’s where we are right now.

Enjoy it! But, don’t pretend it counts for anything within the history of the game of rugby league.

That game may never return.

And I’ll know who to blame for its demise.

thats just schedule based…

The stressed out game we all know and love is still there…

I don’t think there’ll be an asterisk next to the winners. In fact this is probably the hardest season to win Compared to normal. 20 rounds plus finals is plenty

Can’t wait for 4pm Tuesday then games to start. Very thankful to V’landys for having the balls and ability to get our game back quicker than anyone else in Australia. Really hope he’s as dogmatic in his promise to clean up the ruck

Mate I hear you, but this is not a sudden change. They’ve been manipulating the draw in favour of tv ratings for years. I can remember in the early 2000s talking to someone how the Raiders very very rarely got the free-to-air tv games, the weekly schedule (and now the rounds) being determined with input from the tv stations has been happening since then at least.

I agree with you, it is not the way rugby league should be. I detest it.

The NRL had their hands tired, it was either go bankrupt or get the game going as quickly and cheaply as possible. They obviously gave the broadcasters everything they wanted to gain their support.

Anyway come next Thursday night most people will be glad they did, because seeing NRL again in any form beats they stuff they have been showing in its place

I’m not happy with what’s happening , but I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt until we see it

@Tiger_Steve said in 28 May restart. Of what?:

Can’t wait for 4pm Tuesday then games to start. Very thankful to V’landys for having the balls and ability to get our game back quicker than anyone else in Australia. Really hope he’s as dogmatic in his promise to clean up the ruck

That’s my whole point, mate. He hasn’t got “our game” back. He’s got a ramshackle, misfit of “our game” to put on TV. “Our game”, I fear, is dead

@Tiger-Tragic said in 28 May restart. Of what?:

That’s my whole point, mate. He hasn’t got “our game” back. He’s got a ramshackle, misfit of “our game” to put on TV. “Our game”, I fear, is dead

And why isn’t it our game?

@Tiger-Tragic said in 28 May restart. Of what?:

I think you are having yourself on…

You want that crap back that was being dished out over the last ‘x’ amount of years, plus the rulings and administration of a total bunch of incompetents like Greenburg, Grant and Beattie.

I don’t want the game back we had last year, or the year before - I want the game back we had, with one referee and no wrestle - the game that WAS known as “The Greatest Game of All.”

The “Working Man’s game” that carried us from 1908 through thick and thin, until it was hi-jacked by self interested dopes, that didn’t give a “Rats” about the game but only themselves.

Once the game gets resuscitated into the “Greatest Game of All” once again - I’ll know who to blame as well - PETER V’LANDYS!!! without doubt.

Thank GOD! for Peter V’Landys who, could well be known as the savior Rugby League.

👍

So are you gonna bugger off till next year or gonna watch every week and moan about it?

@Tigers2020 said in 28 May restart. Of what?:

Can you imagine if the Tigers win this year, theyll never be accepted as REAL premiers. My mates still call 2005 BS and write it off as a fluke.

It was a fluke, but what a gloriously beautiful fluke it was.

It’s been a TV product for quite a while now… Nothing really new about that.
Changes this year are due to no $$$$ thanks to the wujan flu.
Really can’t believe people so negative about the game.and the changes ((you’d know who you are) when millions have a whole lot.more to be sad about

@JoshColeman99 said in 28 May restart. Of what?:

I don’t think there’ll be an asterisk next to the winners. In fact this is probably the hardest season to win Compared to normal. 20 rounds plus finals is plenty

Agreed. This will be the hardest by far. Shortened comp, interrupted comp, external global pandemic to contend with and rules and ref changes. Finals in late spring, it will be hot.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.