Talau

Don’t want to doubt the kid, but I am keen to hear what the people who believe in him see? Benji rated him our best prospect since Tedesco.

Yet Dogs fans I know, real diehards, barely cared when he left.

In state cup games I can’t recall seeing anything that stood out.

In his debut he made one nice run, that was good.

Pre season this year he looked big and immobile.

The reason I bring this up if that we have possibly the worst outside backs in the comp. When Nofa is your first choice winger, you have issues.

Nofa was horrendous last game…but still is an automatic pick.

BJ barely tried last game.

Jennings is…Jennings.

Corey is…too small, tries hard, but been let go everywhere he has been.

My point is that ‘any’ young back with talent should have easily smashed the door down and be an automatic pick. If you are a center / winger with any ability, we are the club you should be playing at.

Yet Tommy seems to barely even be close to firsts at this stage. He is 20…but there are tons of 20 yo kids in firsts at other teams.

A young, talented, big, outside back would make a world of difference to us this season. So, I am really hoping he is the one who will come through.

Someone give me some reasons to believe (other than blind faith) 🙂

I get the feeling that the son of a known ex first- grader gets a rails run through their junior teams. Not denying that many of them are genetically gifted with ability . . . but when they are only as talented as Fred Nurks’s son, and vying for a single spot on the rep team . . . you know who will get the nod.
Eventually they get found out.
I hope this isn’t the case with Talau . . . but as you say, he isn’t busting down the door demanding to be picked.

last edited by Go_You_Good_Things

Not sure about the kid.
The gifted ones just stand out like a proverbial … in lower grades … and then keep up and shine when given the chance in top squad.
He had done neither … and the fact that Madge does not see it yet says it all.

To say he didn’t stand out in the lower grades is a little harsh. Made NSW U18’s and U’20’s

He went from under 20’s to reserve grade to first grade in less than a season, and scored a bunch of tries when playing reserves. 4 tries and a try assist in his first nine games is pretty good. Played 1 game this year and bagged a double.

He’s a real weapon in attack, powerful ball runner and has good hands, certainly has the potential to become a good player just needs to work on defence and some of the other little things. The coaches really seem like they don’t want to put pressure on him and want to slowly blood him into first grade

last edited by JoshColeman99

@ElleryHanley said in Talau:

Don’t want to doubt the kid, but I am keen to hear what the people who believe in him see? Benji rated him our best prospect since Tedesco.

The reason I bring this up if that we have possibly the worst outside backs in the comp. When Nofa is your first choice winger, you have issues.

Jennings is…Jennings.

My point is that ‘any’ young back with talent should have easily smashed the door down and be an automatic pick. If you are a center / winger with any ability, we are the club you should be playing at.

Yet Tommy seems to barely even be close to firsts at this stage. He is 20…but there are tons of 20 yo kids in firsts at other teams.

A young, talented, big, outside back would make a world of difference to us this season. So, I am really hoping he is the one who will come through.

OK only my 2 bobs worth and I have been often wrong BUT - I have seen Tommy play only last year in a few JF games and then I watched him at Bankwest in CC and some others but I am a fan.

He turns 20 this year so is still very young. He is big, strong and can set up his outside players with his ability to offload whilst attracting a number of defenders at the same time. Whilst it was only Jersey Flegg he must have set up about 6 tries in the first 2 games.

WTs upgraded his contract last year so they must believe he has something otherwise I’m sure Madge would have stepped in? It might not yet feel he has done much since his upgrade but I think he needs a bit more time like many of our youngsters - not all can do (dare I say it) a Bronson Xerri at 19 and take the NRL by storm.

Mind you, it will be a shame if he (Xerri) has in fact taken performance enhancing drugs but he is a rare talent regardless.

@Thaiger said in Talau:

@ElleryHanley said in Talau:

Jennings is…Jennings.

OK only my 2 bobs worth and I have been often wrong BUT - I have seen Tommy play only last year in a few JF games and then I watched him at Bankwest in CC and some others but I am a fan.

He turns 20 this year so is still very young. He is big, strong and can set up his outside players with his ability to offload whilst attracting a number of defenders at the same time. Whilst it was only Jersey Flegg he must have set up about 6 tries in the first 2 games.

WTs upgraded his contract last year so they must believe he has something otherwise I’m sure Madge would have stepped in? It might not yet feel he has done much since his upgrade but I think he needs a bit more time like many of our youngsters - not all can do (dare I say it) a Bronson Xerri at 19 and take the NRL by storm.

Mind you, it will be a shame if he (Xerri) has in fact taken performance enhancing drugs but he is a rare talent regardless.

The coaches have mentioned a few times they don’t want to rush him in as well

Last year we started playing him in a brand new position for him. He’s never played in the outside backs in his life. He was a 5/8, making plays for his team mates with his hands always on the ball. Then we chucked him in at centre and he’s learning the position on the fly. And waiting to get the ball, often playing in very weak sides last year too.
Very different to players like Xerri who’ve been an outside back all through juniors. He’s a great passer and has a decent short kicking game.
The problem is he isn’t really a natural hole runner. So while he has a lot of physical qualities he doesn’t yet have the natural instinct of an outside back. Especially in defence.
He looked fantastic in round one and Madge signed him up for a few more years so I think they’re just easing him in rather than risking a sink or swim moment in the big league.

1 word
A lot of potential

@balmain-boy said in Talau:

Last year we started playing him in a brand new position for him. He’s never played in the outside backs in his life. He was a 5/8, making plays for his team mates with his hands always on the ball. Then we chucked him in at centre and he’s learning the position on the fly. And waiting to get the ball, often playing in very weak sides last year too.
Very different to players like Xerri who’ve been an outside back all through juniors. He’s a great passer and has a decent short kicking game.
The problem is he isn’t really a natural hole runner. So while he has a lot of physical qualities he doesn’t yet have the natural instinct of an outside back. Especially in defence.
He looked fantastic in round one and Madge signed him up for a few more years so I think they’re just easing him in rather than risking a sink or swim moment in the big league.

I wonder what Madge sees his long term position being then. I can’t see Benji going around again next year, so we’ll be in need of a 6. You seem to know a bit about him, where would you like to see him play long term?

@TheDaBoss said in Talau:

1 word
A lot of potential

thats 4

@tigerap said in Talau:

1 word
A lot of potential

thats 4

Tomato, Tamato 😉

Do you think he is a long term center?

Benji only has a few months left and we will need a 6.

Obviously his chances this year are now severely limited but I’m pretty confident he’ll see plenty of FG next year.

@tigerap said in Talau:

1 word
A lot of potential

thats 4

Tomato, Tamato 😉

Good effort, but no cigar, as they are different sounded by region rather than spelling.

He was regarded as good enough to be extended and elevated to the top squad last season, so the coach must expect something of Talau.

last edited by formerguest

I think you may have identifified the issue. In juniors and coming through he has always played 6 (like most talented big juniors) but as he gets into his senior years he is likely to get too big for 6. Physically he looks a centre or secondrow and I cant see him ending up anywhere other than those positions. Dare I say it, physically he has a touch of the MCK’s. Too big/slow for centre, not big enough for the pack.

I hope he develops into a great centre for us.

last edited by Tiger5150

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.