Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers

Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers
Author
Caitlyn Grant
Timestamp
Sun 31 May 2020, 06:48 AM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Michael Maguire said he was most pleased with the way his side adapted throughout their Round 3 clash against Cronulla to eventually end up with the two points.

Having raced to an early 10-0 lead in their first game back, Wests Tigers found themselves trailing the hosts 16-10 late in the first half with Wade Graham and Josh Dugan causing all sorts of attacking problems on Cronulla’s left edge.

However, off the back of a tight defensive effort in the second half to keep the Sharks at bay, Wests Tigers would run in in three unanswered tries to emerge with a strong 28-16 win that had plenty of reasons to impress Maguire.

“I’m really pleased with the players," Maguire said.

"We spoke at half-time about what was going on in the first half and they changed and adapted.

“They were able to build more patience in the second half to be able to capitalise and score a few tries. We obviously got off to a good start but then Cronulla were able to pinch a few tries and put more pressure on us.

"But in the second half they adapted well.”

“It was our defence that changed most — we were getting beat on the edges. That is where the boys changed and adapted to what was thrown at them, and possession and completions play a big part in that,” Maguire added.

“We probably put ourselves under a lot of pressure and allowed them to come in and put those plays on rather than controlling it through our completion rates. The edges sorted that out and then we were able to get a better field position which allowed us to put pressure back on Cronulla."

With a new spine of Adam Doueihi, Benji Marshall, Luke Brooks and Harry Grant all impressing in their first game together, Maguire said there were plenty of positive signs to come heading in to next week’s trip to Suncorp Stadium.

“I’m pleased they’ve all played together," Maguire enthused.

"I have a new spine and that starts with Harry, Benji and Luke. Over the last two or three weeks we’ve been fortunate through the circumstances to be able to spend a bit of time on the combination between those boys.

“I could see it growing as the game was going on.

"It was great to have all our players available with Moses [Mbye] and Luke back and Adam is only going to get better with his time at fullback.”

Wests Tigers will look to make it back-to-back wins for the first time in 2020 when they take on the Gold Coast Titans next Sunday at Suncorp Stadium.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2020/05/31/maguire-presser/?fbclid=IwAR08ffttXv2pSjBD_9hM0lQ1zh_JDJWGyalnxCBRxb6X6PIazR6DSdmYTaw

What are peoples thoughts on Douiehi? I didn’t think his positioning in defence was up to scratch.

@NT_Tiger said in Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers:

What are peoples thoughts on Douiehi? I didn’t think his positioning in defence was up to scratch.

I think he’ll only get better. Saved one certain try in the first half but Cronulla also exploited Nofa’s wing which makes it hard for Doueihi to put himself in the corner expecting Nofo to get turned around.

Smart coach Madge. Being able to adapt to the nature of a particular game, stay composed and complete those sets has been something we haven’t done well in the past. In days gone by we’d try hail Mary plays every second set. I like the maturity of the team last night.

I thought he was solid,
You’re right about his positioning.but hopefully he gains trust in his team mates.
He has strange running style,looks like he is going at 80% ,but he was able to beat the first defender on a number of occasions.
Huge improvement compared to Thompson in my opinion

I was impressed that we could turn it around. Normally when we go behind and concede a few tries in a row we are done, instead they came out in the second half and played patient footy, defended well and slowly turned momentum back to us.

It’s something Madge has been working on and it showed last night. In the past we would’ve got flogged in that game. Adapting on the fly is not something we normally do just like the knights game. Good to see things were changed and improved so credit to Madge

@Sausagesorcerer said in Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers:

I thought he was solid,
You’re right about his positioning.but hopefully he gains trust in his team mates.
He has strange running style,looks like he is going at 80% ,but he was able to beat the first defender on a number of occasions.

I think his build makes him look slow, those long legs don’t look fast but he’s a strong ball runner like you said constantly beat the first defender

@JoshColeman99 said in Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers:

I thought he was solid,

I think his build makes him look slow, those long legs don’t look fast but he’s a strong ball runner like you said constantly beat the first defender

Definitely! Got that afl player build
It’s easy to say ‘but’ But if his foot doesn’t skim the touch line I think people would be singing his praises.
I’m the king 👑 of what if 😂

@Tcat said in Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers:

something we haven’t done well in the past.

And closing a game out is the other thing we have failed to do on many occasions but last night both Brooks and Marshal showed great composure to put the astute last tackle play into touch near the Sharks line in the clutch minutes. It felt like a well-managed win rather than an escape, like a Chee Kam try on the buzzer!

I thought he was solid,

It’s easy to say ‘but’ But if his foot doesn’t skim the touch line I think people would be singing his praises.

Grass cut a centimeter shorter and he may have gotten away with it, as he initially thought he did, but it was the wrong play at the time. Would have gladly swapped back to Cory at about the half hour point, but Adam went well from then on.

@formerguest said in Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers:

I thought he was solid,

Grass cut a centimeter shorter and he may have gotten away with it, as he initially thought he did, but it was the wrong play at the time. Would have gladly swapped back to Cory at about the half hour point, but Adam went well from then on.

Yeah I couldn’t help think that Corey would of had a field day with some of those tired fowards

when we go behind

I reckon we actually gave them a 12 point turnaround! It was the dropped ball by Josh A right on their line when we were so on top they were shot ducks. But then instead of being up by another 6, they got the momentum when they made easy yards leading to the 1st try in the set after the dropped ball.(there might have been a 6 again pen in there). Given the floggings on the Broncos & Titans on Day 1 of the Resurrection Season, I really thought we were heading that way. Thank goodness for half time!

The adaptation came in the middle field in defence when Mikaele and Aloiai came back on…as well as an improvement in kick/chase…including controlling possession…

it is hard for him defensively when he has marshall BJ and Nofo all defending together man we will leak more than the titanic with that combo attacking wise great defensively oh dear

@Geo said in Maguire pleased with adapting Wests Tigers:

The adaptation came in the middle field in defence when Mikaele and Aloiai came back on…as well as an improvement in kick/chase…including controlling possession…

Josh seems to have really picked up his work at both marker as well as an A defender since last season, which apart from ball security, was for mine his main area of lacking. Looks to be taking on more of a leaders role as well.

last edited by formerguest

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.