Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness

NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness, not six-again rule, West Tigers coach says
By Laine Clark
4 hours ago

NRL blowouts are exposing teams that did not work hard enough on their fitness during the coronavirus shutdown, Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire says.

The new six again rule rushed in last week has come under the spotlight after a string of lop-sided scorelines since its introduction. It’s a trend that continued with Sydney Roosters crushing Brisbane 59-0 on Thursday and Penrith dispatching the Warriors 26-0 on Friday night.

But Maguire has all but rejected the popular theory ahead of the Tigers’ Sunday clash with Gold Coast in Brisbane. The Tigers mentor claimed the routs indicated who had remained focused on training in isolation during the NRL’s eight week hiatus - and brutally highlighted those who had not.

“We’ve got a few blowout scores at the moment. Is it because of the new rules or is it because of the COVID time when players were away working on their own,” he said.

"Some teams are getting reward for work that they have done during that time. “Fitness levels are definitely playing a part, hence the reason we are probably getting a few blowout scores.”

Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Warriors mentor Stephen Kearney have been vocal about the six again rule’s impact on the game, saying the resulting defensive fatigue and free flowing matches would lead to more routs.

But Maguire did not believe it was the main factor, pointing to his own team as an example. The Tigers kept working hard, overcoming a halftime deficit to finally overpower Cronulla 28-16 in their last round win to move to a 2-1 record ahead of their Titans clash. “We are finding out about (that) from my team. I am happy how they worked hard throughout that (isolation) time to make sure they came back the best they could be,” he said. “I am sure teams will get rewards off the back of that through these early periods of the season.”

The Tigers will be out to show off their fitness again when they line up against the battling Titans.
The joint venture are aiming to win their opening three away games of the season for the first time - and extend the Gold Coast’s woeful losing streak.

Gold Coast are approaching a year without a win, losing 14 straight. They last savoured victory on June 9 last year when they beat Brisbane at Sunday’s venue - Suncorp Stadium.

👍

NRL blowout due to crap teams

That’s why Madge is such a good coach makes no excuses. It will take time for teams to adapt training and body shape. Recruitment will have to change. The biggest issue the NRL has is a lack of athletic talent to spread across the teams. A draft is now more important than ever.

@TYGA said in Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness:

That’s why Madge is such a good coach makes no excuses. It will take time for teams to adapt training and body shape. Recruitment will have to change. The biggest issue the NRL has is a lack of athletic talent to spread across the teams. A draft is now more important than ever.

Disagree there are plenty of dumb athletes in the NRL… smart footballers to go round not so much

NO draft for me.

@Geo said in Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness:

Disagree there are plenty of dumb athletes in the NRL… smart footballers to go round not so much

That’s a fair point about true footy players but the athletic ability is being exposed. They cant keep up with some teams no matter how smart they play.

The same can be said about attitude, hopefully not a prediction about WT today

I reckon Sheena would be a great asst coach on this new era.

Great sledge from madge to the bloke who backdoored him at souths

We’re the fittest team standing behind the goalposts.

👍😠

@Tiger_Steve said in Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness:

Or watching the ball waiting for someone to attempt to catch it if it comes to them.

@mike said in Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness:

Or watching the ball waiting for someone to attempt to catch it if it comes to them.

To be honest, i didn’t think our fitness let us down. Brain farts and a lack of ability had a fair bit to do with it.

@rustycage said in Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness:

@mike said in Maguire - NRL blowouts due to sub-par fitness:

To be honest, i didn’t think our fitness let us down. Brain farts and a lack of ability had a fair bit to do with it.

I didn’t think it was our fitness either and I agree with you. There was also a lot of standing around watching, instead of being aggressive and going for the ball. It looked like at times they were expecting someone else will do it.

last edited by mike

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.