That short kick off

Reminded me of heighno in that semi versus the chooks… Our players staring at a football but they’re thinking it’s a spud while the opposition grab it, score and take the game.

Think it was a legit correct call now though at the time I had my biased doubts… He had one foot in our 40-30m area when he takes it.

last edited by innsaneink

BJ running around yelling at the ref the idiot didnt know the rule had changed they all should know

In basketball terms, no one ‘boxed out’ Peachy also. He correctly waited with his body turned towards the ball. Some of ours could have run into that space and prevented it.

But they all stood around waiting for the ball to stop and a pen.

@innsaneink said in That short kick off:

Reminded me of heighno in that semi versus the chooks… Our players staring at a football but they’re thinking it’s a spud while the opposition grab it, score and take the game.

Think it was a legit correct call now though at the time I had my biased doubts… He had one foot in our 40-30m area when he takes it.

He also had one foot inside the 10, not sure which one over-rules the other.

I don’t see what any Tigers player could have done, if they make contact with the footy they constitute a penalty, and the football is coming from the Titans’ side, so they can push against the 10m to get the football.

If you get my meaning, BJ Leilua literally could not have backed up at the 40m line and swatted the footy as it crossed the line, he would have had his back to the football and waiting for it to travel past him. Kelly on the other hand had the ball coming towards him and could watch it all the way.

It was unlucky, I don’t know how you are supposed to defend that, and if any player could consistently kick off with a bounce that travelled forwards 10m, they’d do it.

The Titans short kick recovery came down to a lucky bounce. We really can’t complain about that. But the desire in defence to prevent a score was missing, and that comes down to to attitude. They were hoping the Titans would make a mistake instead of forcing them to beat them, which they ultimately did.
We have always played that way. Our team don’t seem to rise to the opposition’s desire.

I thought you were talking about Benji’s shrt line drop out to one of the best jumpers in the game, Anthony Don.

@jirskyr said in That short kick off:

@innsaneink said in That short kick off:

**He also had one foot inside the 10, not sure which one over-rules the other.
I don’t see what any Tigers player could have done, if they make contact with the footy they constitute a penalty, and the football is coming from the Titans’ side, so they can push against the 10m to get the football.

If you get my meaning, BJ Leilua literally could not have backed up at the 40m line and swatted the footy as it crossed the line, he would have had his back to the football and waiting for it to travel past him. Kelly on the other hand had the ball coming towards him and could watch it all the way.

It was unlucky, I don’t know how you are supposed to defend that, and if any player could consistently kick off with a bounce that travelled forwards 10m, they’d do it.

Yeah I know.

In the case of a 40/20 kick he’s ruled outside the forty even if one foots behind the red line… But like Don reaching back with his foot on the try line and his other 2m infield its ruled in goal and 20m restart… 2 similar examples but very diff outcomes

So when your foot is 1.5cm inside the goal-line the ball is deemed to be taken in goal but when you whole foot is inside the 10m and you contact the ball it’s play on…k

@Geo said in That short kick off:

So when your foot is 1.5cm inside the goal-line the ball is deemed to be taken in goal but when you whole foot is inside the 10m and you contact the ball it’s play on…k

Haven’t had a second look, but don’t think the position of the feet matters, unless they are on the sideline, as it is the position of the ball that counts.

@bathursttiger1 said in That short kick off:

I thought you were talking about Benji’s shrt line drop out to one of the best jumpers in the game, Anthony Don.

Certainly shook my head at that one and can only assume that it was tactical from the coach.

The only positive I can see to that poor performance is that there will be changes to the squad. The Titans scraped in for the win in the end. If they had beaten us by 20, I think we would be in all sorts. The squad can, and will be changed. I love Benji for what he has done for the club, but I think there is a need for someone else in the five eight role - possibly Reynolds, Douiehy or even Billy Walters.

@formerguest said in That short kick off:

@Geo said in That short kick off:

Haven’t had a second look, but don’t think the position of the feet matters, unless they are on the sideline, as it is the position of the ball that counts.

Yeah the ball has to break the 10 metre plane and it clearly didn’t do that!!

All that matters was that WTs players were happy to let it bounce. They should have got that ball at all cost and not played for a penalty. However, that didn’t loose us the game.

I’ve always hated this rule which really which advantages a lucky or crap play, like the corner post rule it needs to be tweaked. Its easy done, the receiving team can take the ball whenever they want and the kicking team has to wait till it breaks the 10 metre plane.

Problem solved.

last edited by simonthetiger

@Tcat said in That short kick off:

All that matters was that WTs players were happy to let it bounce. They should have got that ball at all cost and not played for a penalty. However, that didn’t loose us the game.

Imo all that matters is we were playing a team running last who hadn’t won a game for 12 months and we allowed them to still be a chance if winning in the 80th minute. They should have been out of the game by half time.
We are a disgraceful club that doesn’t know how to change. The same crap has been happening for a bloody decade. Piss poor right edge defense; piss poor forward aggression; no decent goal kicker; no pace; can’t close out a game; can’t play consistently- this stuff has been happening for years. Not good enough

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.