Maguire implores side to change

Straight-shooting Maguire implores side to change
Author - Dan Talintyre
Timestamp - Sun 7 Jun 2020, 09:41 PM

Michael Maguire certainly didn’t mince his words post-match.

Having watched his side almost hang on for a tight win over the Gold Coast Titans, only to see a late Phillip Sami try snatch a late win at the death, the Wests Tigers Coach told it as it was as he spoke to the media afterwards.

Calling on his players, coaching staff and club as a whole to “own the performance”, Maguire implored for the attitudes of inconsistency to change.

“That performance is unacceptable for where we’re at,” Maguire said post-game.

"I’m sick and tired of the ups and downs of performance — it’s as simple as that.

"We need to change that. That’s what this club has been.

“I didn’t want to say that but that’s the truth,” he continued. "The truth is that we need to fix it as a playing group, a coaching staff and everyone. We need to fix the way that our club does things around the way we perform.

"People talk about whether or not we win the big games or challenge the big teams or play less against the lower teams. That’s [about] character. We need to fix that and we need to fix it fast because I’ve seen a bit of it over my period.

“We’ve got to own that performance and be very honest about that because we’ve got to come out next week against Canberra.”

Having twice led by double digits early in each half before allowing the Titans back in the contest, Maguire said much of the result simply came down to attitude.

“That’s what the actions of both teams showed,” he said when asked about the desire shown late on each in half.

"If you can’t be hungry enough to win a game of football then you need to look in the mirror, and those are the sorts of things we need to be honest about.

“Maybe the result shows that [complacency] because we didn’t do the things we said we were going to do. Our preparation was about doing what we did for the first 15 minutes… but [then] it was poor execution and discipline — all things that as a club we’re striving towards [fixing].”

Swing the Axe Madge

He’s right. This is what this club has been. 20 years of the same crap. As sure as the sun comes up you can bank on our footy team to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory or get beat by a side that everybody thinks should get the spoon. It can’t be the coach, we’ve been through too many of them. Hopefully the young guys that have been recruited are “winners”.

👏

Had enough of this garbage… Used to be passionate now just tired of it all. Less than a casual fan now.

Thinking about it today, we ARE a joke… my missus laughing at me (good naturedly) at full time… Didn’t bother me I’ve long stopped caring - but thinking about that today a woman from south East Asia with only a skerrick of knowledge of our game - her reaction sums us up

😧🤗

@innsaneink said in Maguire implores side to change:

Had enough of this garbage… Used to be passionate now just tired of it all. Less than a casual fan now.

Thinking about it today, we ARE a joke… my missus laughing at me (good naturedly) at full time… Didn’t bother me I’ve long stopped caring - but thinking about that today a woman from south East Asia with only a skerrick of knowledge of our game - her reaction sums us up

Even when we do score a try or even win a game there’s still little emotion …
That’s where I’m at !

I for one am actually happy with the opinions of most loyal supporters last night and today. Normally there’d be the usual excuses and arguments that things aren’t that bad etc etc, But I actually think majority have ligitmately had enough. I think Madge is the only real competitive coach we’ve had in a long time, but when you think about squad has always been made up of mostly nobody’s and has beens. This definitely needs to change and I hope Madge can do it.

👍👏

@hobbo1 said in Maguire implores side to change:

Swing the Axe Madge

Exactly, he keeps picking the same game managers, and we keep failing, not rocket science, Madge you own this as much or more than the players, stop picking the guys who continually fail

@Furious1 said in Maguire implores side to change:

He’s right. This is what this club has been. 20 years of the same crap. As sure as the sun comes up you can bank on our footy team to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory or get beat by a side that everybody thinks should get the spoon. It can’t be the coach, we’ve been through too many of them. Hopefully the young guys that have been recruited are “winners”.

Saints got lapped by the winless dogs today, saints have only won 2 games in their last 16, both against the side that beat us last night, Pay made a host of changes, so did Holbrook, and look what happened, meanwhile over at the tigers, nothing changes

I implore Madge to change side

@851 said in Maguire implores side to change:

@Furious1 said in Maguire implores side to change:

Saints got lapped by the winless dogs today, saints have only won 2 games in their last 16, both against the side that beat us last night, Pay made a host of changes, so did Holbrook, and look what happened, meanwhile over at the tigers, nothing changes

Mate, i’m replying, but…jeezus i just don’t know what to say. I’m a bit like @innsaneink and just tired of it all now. Its to the point i think id prefer my kids to go for someone else. Any good parent couldn’t possibly point their kids towards this club, i’ts akin to child abuse. (thats a joke for the PC brigade)

last edited by Furious1

Let’s face it, our pack has no mongrel in it, compared to the good sides , we hit the ball up slowly and in defence we are content to just grab players. In attack last night we played so much one out hit ups right next to the ruck the titans did not have to move. U can’t win games playing one out football.

If Packer is fit to return why not give him a go. Tough hard prop at his best. Might inject a bit of the mongrel our pack needs. Couldn’t do worse than a few of the players in that sorry display last night.

@Curaeus said in Maguire implores side to change:

If Packer is fit to return why not give him a go. Tough hard prop at his best. Might inject a bit of the mongrel our pack needs. Couldn’t do worse than a few of the players in that sorry display last night.

Not sure Packer could handle the new rules fitness wise.

Phew we have Russell I was getting worried there for a moment

@tonza said in Maguire implores side to change:

Not sure Packer could handle the new rules fitness wise.

Why not, Seyfarth, Clark and Lawrence are offering nothing

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.