The problem with dropping Benji

I said last week It looked wrong dropping Benji and it hasn’t paid off. Now do you bring him back? And if you do how do you face the team chopping and changing as you do? I don’t think many saw Reynolds as a player who would improve our attack, and he didn’t. It was noticeable also how much Brooks’ performance dropped with Benji not out there running the team, really dire from him. I think if Madge doesn’t succeed at the Tigers, his bumbling of Benji this week might be the first moment when players really start to question his judgement. Benji’s been our best player for the last year and he gets dropped? So we fix our attitude but our attack comes unstuck, it’s looking messy and team selections played a big part in that.

last edited by watersider

@watersider said in The problem with dropping Benji:

I said last week It looked wrong dropping Benji and it hasn’t paid off. Now do you bring him back? And if you do how do you face the team chopping and changing as you do? I don’t think many saw Reynolds as a player who would improve our attack, and he didn’t. It was noticeable also how much Brooks performance dropped with Benji not out there running the team, really dire from him. I think if Madge doesn’t succeed at the Tigers, his bumbling of Benji this week might be the first moment when players really start to question his judgement. Benji’s been our best player for the last year and he gets dropped? So we fix our attitude but our attack comes unstuck, it’s looking messy and team selections paid a big part in that.

The team looked heaps better with Reynolds so Brooks goes simple … no problem if the coach wants to be a winner !

No Benji … we score 10 points less…the opposition scores 15 pts less…and the game is less entertaining!!
But we mite make the 8

I think we all need to move on from Benji he’s had his time and teams read him to easy Titans just let him run last week which was mostly side ways Jrey brings something different and Brooks is the best we have. A lot of people are bagging the team tonight but it must have been expected as 90% of players in the tipping comp picked the Raiders

Reynolds defence is 100% better than Benji,his kicking game better,he passed the ball out to the backs and gave them a run…Benji back in for Brooks or you give Madden a crack…I just don’t think Brooks has it in him to command this team around(or any other team for that matter)…
I was happy with the defence tonight,much improved on last week…

If we get unlimited interchange he can stay and play

He is so much a defensive liability now

Said it last week after the no commitment defensively before the 1st try …I’m not sure his heart is it in anymore

Kissing that journo …makes me believe it more

Think we should give Brooks and Reynolds a couple of games to gel and see what theyve got.
As for Packer…Ive seen what he offers and we simply cant afford to play him…plus weve got better

i think defensively Reynolds is better than benji and was pretty good.
Garner come in for Luciano Leilua if injured .
Love to buy Saab from st george if they dont want to bring back jennings talau isnt a winger but played ok just think he is a centre not winger

The problem with dropping Benji is Brooks has taken a back seat and is watching a rookie 9 on loan take over HIS team.

There was no problem dropping Benji.

If Madge is setting examples & will also be consistent then Brooks & Packer won’t be playing next week.

Coach made the right move dropping Benji. Reynolds was much more solid in defence made a couple of try saving tackles. Also set up our only try.

@Elderslie_Tiger said in The problem with dropping Benji:

I think we all need to move on from Benji he’s had his time and teams read him to easy Titans just let him run last week which was mostly side ways Jrey brings something different and Brooks is the best we have. A lot of people are bagging the team tonight but it must have been expected as 90% of players in the tipping comp picked the Raiders

But while Benji is fit and available and keen we need to use him …
Brooks sucks !

@Mighty_Tiger said in The problem with dropping Benji:

If Madge is setting examples & will also be consistent then Brooks & Packer won’t be playing next week.

Packer would definitely be dropped, but he will be suspended instead.
Brooks I suspect will remain in the team, he realistically is worth the $550/600k we had him on. I know he signed a few more years for a bit higher, but really he’s playing to his limit I suspect. We need to upgrade his spot to someone better, but until we do, we have noone better.

@Mighty_Tiger said in The problem with dropping Benji:

That’s the problem: if you’re dropping benji you basically have to chop and change every week because his one supposedly bad performance (in which he kicked a field goal to take the lead in the final minutes of the game) rubs out a year of leadership and carrying the team. We saw what the team looks like without him. People seem encouraged by our defensive stoutness, and it was impressive at times, but we were clueless in attack and will not win matches playing like that. Reynolds and Brooks are not bad players, Benji is just a class above and I’m not sure what the coach does now.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.