The effect of a few players...

Don’t want to single anyone out, so I won’t mention names…

But if Tommy was not there tonight, neither of those tries get scored. The previous bloke would have ended up in touch or lost it.

If Grant was not there and Josh was at 9, our attack would be nowhere near top of the league. No way it flows for 70 plus in a week.

If AD was not there, no way we catch every high ball safely or use power plays for the FB to score.

Those are just three players.

But it is obvious what a difference class makes.

We have a core of about 12 at the moment.

Our recruitment, finally, is looking good and strategic.

We need better depth at prop.

We need better depth at 13.

Stefano and Blore may well be the answers.

We can’t have the current 17 as our emergency backs cover…we need class there.

We can’t have the three ancient warriors taking those depth spots…we need young, hungry, aggressive, players.

Most of these problem areas will be solved in the next 6-18 months.

Not sure we have the depth this year, but you can see the basis of what Madge is building.

Yeah I am right behind Maguire. He’s exactly what this club has needed. He’s turning our players into tough winners with his attitude and they are getting behind him. The whole thing feels like it’s turning around.

@facepalmer said in The effect of a few players...:

Yeah I am right behind Maguire. He’s exactly what this club has needed. He’s turning our players into tough winners with his attitude and they are getting behind him. The whole thing feels like it’s turning around.

We just need those few, missing, pieces.

Packer, ET, McQueen, Jennings = 1.5 to 2.00 million almost. 20% of our cap ( much more if you add Josh)

You could really add 4 or 5 young, hungry, junior rep level, style blokes for that.

last edited by ElleryHanley

I know it’s fashionable to bash players but Reynolds has provided a spark that’s been missing for a long time. He’s not perfect, but his enthusiasm is more infectious than COVID-19. He drags players along with him. His kick chases alone are tremendously important to keeping the opposition pinned. On top of that, we’re actually seeing BJ and Nofo get the ball.

Josh was pretty good tonight …actually thought he outpointed Brooks

Nice summary.
Think Madge is still cooking the roster.
Couple of wins will not convince him on some recruitment deficiencies which continue to need his urgent attention.

It’s just good to see Reynolds healthy - and Im not a huge fan but while ever we are winning he holds his spot. Benji got too comfortable and paid for it.
Hats off to the coach.

@ElleryHanley said in The effect of a few players...:

Don’t want to single anyone out, so I won’t mention names…

But if Tommy was not there tonight, neither of those tries get scored. The previous bloke would have ended up in touch or lost it.

If Grant was not there and Josh was at 9, our attack would be nowhere near top of the league. No way it flows for 70 plus in a week.

If AD was not there, no way we catch every high ball safely or use power plays for the FB to score.

Those are just three players.

But it is obvious what a difference class makes.

We have a core of about 12 at the moment.

Our recruitment, finally, is looking good and strategic.

We need better depth at prop.

We need better depth at 13.

Stefano and Blore may well be the answers.

We can’t have the current 17 as our emergency backs cover…we need class there.

We can’t have the three ancient warriors taking those depth spots…we need young, hungry, aggressive, players.

Most of these problem areas will be solved in the next 6-18 months.

Not sure we have the depth this year, but you can see the basis of what Madge is building.

Love this post. Talau was fantastic, Thompson or Jennings doesn’t score that try. AD is developing nicely , and is really finding his feet. He scores and assists. Would love him to hang around the middle a bit more , but hey 4 games into his fullback career and I don’t think we can ask for more.

I know a few people questioned Madges chopping and changing , but it’s definitely paying dividends with the injuries we’ve had. It’s also providing competition for spots, and that is something we haven’t had here for years. Well done Madge , in you we trust.

The balance Reynolds provides is more than just with the ball in hand. His defence is solid as a rock. Makes it alot easier to see why he is ahead of Benji at the moment.

Key mention not listed is LL - he has been a forward rock for us the last few weeks. Will hit it up hard, quick play the balls, intensity when something big happens.

No Benji has helped us a lot too. Defence has been noticeably better since he’s been out of the team and Reynolds is giving Leilua early ball

@Telltails said in The effect of a few players...:

It’s just good to see Reynolds healthy - and Im not a huge fan but while ever we are winning he holds his spot. Benji got too comfortable and paid for it.
Hats off to the coach.

I will say this …since Benji has hit the pine and Josh has been playing along side Brooks…
The backline has been getting more ball…
The young players are definitely playing with more vigour and enthusiasm ….
They seem to know what the next move is and play to it…
They are really working to play for the whole 80 mins…

Im not bagging Benji,he is a great player,but I think the team always let everything revolve around him,now they are playing a different brand of football and its exciting and enjoyable to watch these young guys play their own game…Brooks is the perfect example of what happens when you are allowed to play your own game,in particular his running game,plays whats in front of him and his defence is unbelievable…

Great thread. Strategic investments and hard work.

Lock madge up.

As much as I would have loved to somehow lure JAC a few months back, with him potentially being available now I think I’ve changed my mind. Given the opportunity, Talau has plenty of positives. What a player he will be with regular game time. A few more games like tonights effort and big name or established players will actually genuinely want to come and be a part of this club to be successful not just to be near to their family.

last edited by rustycage

given the last two performances of Eisenhuth in the side, is he now a priority to re-sign?

Def did not mean to bracket Josh with the others…

Agree he has been good, and the ball getting to the right players at last.

I included him more so because he is not a 750 000 player. His salary is one reason we lack depth.

But that is not his fault in any way.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.