Vale Chumpy Pullin

RIP
Alex “Chumpy” Pullin
1989 - 2020

DF5C3199-D6FB-4361-9E9E-4C870CCF2B00.jpeg

Was saddened to hear this news
Taken way to soon

Too young…winter olympian im guessing?

Crappy news, seemed like a top bloke. RIP.

Sad news. Sounds like he died doing something he enjoyed. Seemed like a nice fella whenever he was interviewed. RIP

@innsaneink said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

Snowboarder. Carried the flag in the last Winter Olympics.

A real talent gone way too soon, RIP Champ.

Interesting to see what happened. Heart attack or something similar?

@Fade-To-Black said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

A Shallow water blackout. Basically lost consciousness due to loss of oxygen while free diving/ spear fishing and drowned.

I’m a keen spearfisherman, there is a common phenomenon in spear fishing known as shallow water blackouts. Pretty common and main reason you shouldnt spear alone. If there is no one there to roll you over, you are gone. It wouldnt be a shock if it was this.

@Tiger5150 said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

I’m a keen spearfisherman, there is a common phenomenon in spear fishing known as shallow water blackouts. Pretty common and main reason you shouldnt spear alone. If there is no one there to roll you over, you are gone. It wouldnt be a shock if it was this.

That’s exactly what was reported

@cochise said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

@Tiger5150 said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

That’s exactly what was reported

Ah, I just read he was spearing and it was the first thing I thought of. It has never happened to me and I used to spear alone all the time. It happened to a mate and he had a friend there with him. Ive never speared alone since. Ive never seen it but have heard of many others, fairly common apparently.

@innsaneink said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

Yes, and twice world champion I think.

@swag_tiger said in Vale Chumpy Pullin:

A Shallow water blackout. Basically lost consciousness due to loss of oxygen while free diving/ spear fishing and drowned.

^This. My (educated) guess would be he was hyperventilating before a dive. Extremely dangerous practice. Very, very sad.

I was just reading about shallow water blackouts and there was a facebook page claiming Ivan Cleary was using training techniques that put players at risk of this occurring.

Shallow Water Blackout Prevention Australia
29 January ·
MEDIA WATCH - NRL Training
It’s disappointing to see that #NRL coach #IvanCleary has put his #PenrithPanthers team under extreme risk of drowning with their latest pool training schedule.
These #extreme #underwater activities and drills are putting your football players at such a high risk of drowning from #shallowwaterblackout.
This occurs without warning, within seconds, and CPR is not often effective, so please STOP using this training. There is NO proven or factual evidence worldwide that shows this does anything for endurance or stamina. There is however, many deaths!
Please get educated, refer to images attached, refer to our websites, #media are welcome to further discuss with us, why they need to stop this practice.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ShallowWaterBlackoutSwb/posts/

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.