Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.

Everyone is talking about our toughness and it’s there in attitude and most obvious in defence, however there are still quite a few deficiencies present.
So in fairness, if we are going to call out our high paid players Brooks and Moses weaknesses
Garner clearly is our weakest link in the defensive line. Never uses his shoulder in any tackles. Too much arm grabbing for my liking.
Also gave up an early penalty in the game for being offside.
ET, directly responsible for all 6 again restarts for the duration of his time on the field. first replaced when Twal comes back.
We have no leg drive in our runs.
Mikale looks the only likely prop to get forward momentum for us.

Elijah Taylor can’t be on the bench anymore he is rubbish. Hopefully with Twal back Eiso takes his bench spot.

how long till musgrove is back?? I like him and Mikaele alternating playing time…or having them both belt it up at once he was a big loss

Unsure about Garner’s game have not watched him much may pay closer attention next time we play, he does seem to drop in and out of the squad so means that Madge is not 100% convinced on him.
ET well we all know he gives away too many penalties and the game is too fast for him even prior to the new format, its the last year on his contract and would be surprised that Madge keeps him along with most of the others that come off contract this year apart from maybe 2.
Upon reflection i would of rather seen Packer play than Taylor last game so we had more aggression and go forward.
Will Twal be back this week? and Musgrove quite a few weeks away.

Our 2nd tier forwards ware solid, keep in mind we missed Twal, Mosgrove and McIntary. The good thing is they never gave up, and we could easily win against one of the most expensive teams in the nrl + ref.
Aloiai again impressed me, in his current form he is one of the best props in the nrl, he must be considered for the SOO.

@JoshColeman99 said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

Elijah Taylor can’t be on the bench anymore he is rubbish. Hopefully with Twal back Eiso takes his bench spot.

He’s not rubbish. The speed of the game just doesn’t suit him now.

@OzLuke said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

how long till musgrove is back?? I like him and Mikaele alternating playing time…or having them both belt it up at once he was a big loss

Musgrove is a long way away doubt he will be back this year…

Twal hopefully this week…

@Needaname said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

Everyone is talking about our toughness and it’s there in attitude and most obvious in defence, however there are still quite a few deficiencies present.
So in fairness, if we are going to call out our high paid players Brooks and Moses weaknesses
Garner clearly is our weakest link in the defensive line. Never uses his shoulder in any tackles. Too much arm grabbing for my liking.
Also gave up an early penalty in the game for being offside.
ET, directly responsible for all 6 again restarts for the duration of his time on the field. first replaced when Twal comes back.
We have no leg drive in our runs.
Mikale looks the only likely prop to get forward momentum for us.

I think Aloiai is a strong runner also.

@Geo said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

@OzLuke said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

Musgrove is a long way away doubt he will be back this year…

Twal hopefully this week…

Musgrove is a loss, would have helped.

@GNR4LIFE said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

@JoshColeman99 said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

He’s not rubbish. The speed of the game just doesn’t suit him now.

He gets smashed every time he runs the footy and gives away penalties for fun. Was a great player in his day but offers literally nothing anymore. Would rather the rookies play over him.

Elijah won’t be around in 2021. If a 2nd rower like CHN is picked up, I would be surprised if Garner sees much first grade. Maybe from the bench.

@Roar_Power said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

Elijah won’t be around in 2021. If a 2nd rower like CHN is picked up, I would be surprised if Garner sees much first grade. Maybe from the bench.

I have no doubt, if were lucky enough to get CHN, that Garner would be on the bench, however he would still be good to have Garner coming off the bench. More punch than we have right at this time.

Garner is still developing. He has only played 28 games and is 24 years of age. He has shown enough glimpses in every department to suggest he could be a top quality player. Maybe one level below a rep player. If we persist with him he will turn good. Otherwise, I could quite easily see him ripping it up at another club. He’s the exact type of player the Roosters would turn into a gun - a player another club couldn’t be bothered properly developing.

last edited by Kazoo Kid

@Kazoo-Kid said in Our forward pack, notable weaknesses.:

Garner is still developing. He has only played 28 games and is 24 years of age. He has shown enough glimpses in every department to suggest he could be a top quality player. Maybe one level below a rep player. If we persist with him he will turn good. Otherwise, I could quite easily see him ripping it up at another club. He’s the exact type of player the Roosters would turn into a gun - a player another club couldn’t be bothered properly developing.

He made one of our only line breaks the other night . And he looked dangerous every time he had the ball. His defence needs work , but that’s more training than anything . He was a back most of his juniors wasn’t he ?

I don’t like to say this because I do have an appreciation for these boys and what they’re doing for the team, but it was kinda to be expected tbh, considering the majority of our recruits are/were fringe first graders or cast offs from other struggling teams(at the time). There’d be nothing wrong with that except the team’s overall construction from Ivan was of the same or a similar quality.

This is why I think Madge has been the best possible buy for us. He’s no-nonsense and his approach on our team has been unlike Seibold or even Ivan at Panthers, he’s working toward building a competitive team with someone else’s roster but is yet to make an excuse.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.