Okunbor, Harawira-Naera reduced to bans and fines

Okunbor, Harawira-Naera deregistrations reduced to bans and fines
Author
Dan Walsh
NRL.com Reporter
Mon 13 Jul 2020, 04:06 PM

Canterbury back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera could be available for Dean Pay’s beleaguered squad as early as next week after he and Jayden Okunbor had their contracts reinstated by the NRL.

The two Bulldogs players had their registrations cancelled by the governing body on April 1 over their involvement in a pre-season incident involving schoolgirls they had met during a clinic at a local high school in Port Macquarie.

The NRL Appeals Committee revised the pair’s sanctions on Monday, allowing both players to resume their playing commitments at Belmore once their revised suspensions have been served.

Harawira-Naera has served all but one game of his 10-match suspension, which also included a $15,000 fine for New Zealand Test back-rower’s “serious breach of the league’s code of conduct”.

As a result, he will potentially be available for selection for round 11 when the Bulldogs play Newcastle, pending the NRL’s biosecurity advice and whether Canterbury add him to the club’s 50-person bubble.

Okunbor still has a month to serve on a 14-game ban, with his punishment also including a $22,500 fine and a course of counselling or community service.

The towering winger would be available for round 15 at the earliest.

NRL acting CEO Andrew Abdo expressed his disappointment at the reduced punishments, while the Bulldogs are now “working with the NRL to determine how this process will be implemented” in regards to bringing Harawira-Naera and Okunbor back to the club.

“The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the Code of Conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious,” Abdo said.

“The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome.”

Hey hold on a sec, the ‘Independent Appeals Committee’, who are they? Are they within the NRL or a body outside of it? Can they help with our Joey/Reynolds/Mitchell drama? Get Joey’s sentence reduced, and Mitchell’s extended?

I would suggest it is a committee you form when you are being threatened with unfair dismissal and realise that you do not have a legal leg to stand on.

According to 360 we aren’t even in the race for CHN. Somehow this doesn’t surprise me.

@Tiger_Steve said in Okunbor, Harawira-Naera reduced to bans and fines:

According to 360 we aren’t even in the race for CHN. Somehow this doesn’t surprise me.

I doubt if they have any idea who we are after.It is all speculation

If they’re allowed to play, I’m glad the Bulldogs get first dibs.

For too long other clubs have benefited from clubs doing the right thing sacking players.

Apparently they are doing their community service at Bankstown High. Teaching Biology.

😁

Saw that, they said the players won’t want to play at the dogs, their talk was the raiders have money, he could go there, nothing to back it up though

Apparently they are doing their community service at Bankstown High. Teaching Biology.

Very droll.

Well the plot thickens with this.
There is also the convenient timing of announcing that the bulldogs will be searching for another head coach.
Does CHN stick around and wait to see how that pans out?
Pay apparently was the most vocal in ensuring they be stood down as it was a negative image to the player culture he was trying to cultivate at the club.
As far as 360 goes. James Hooper mentioned it and they ran with it. ‘Oh yeah no Bateman next year Hodgson injured, makes sense’
Could Hooper, being a tigers fan purposely be redirecting the attention to another club so that we don’t get caught in the media scrum?
Hopefully we sign him up like the panthers scooped up Api Koroisau without a murmur.
That’s the way deals should be done. No time then for the public to assess the ethics of it and no air time for the media to debate.

@Needaname said in Okunbor, Harawira-Naera reduced to bans and fines:

Well the plot thickens with this.
There is also the convenient timing of announcing that the bulldogs will be searching for another head coach.
Does CHN stick around and wait to see how that pans out?
Pay apparently was the most vocal in ensuring they be stood down as it was a negative image to the player culture he was trying to cultivate at the club.
As far as 360 goes. James Hooper mentioned it and they ran with it. ‘Oh yeah no Bateman next year Hodgson injured, makes sense’
Could Hooper, being a tigers fan purposely be redirecting the attention to another club so that we don’t get caught in the media scrum?
Hopefully we sign him up like the panthers scooped up Api Koroisau without a murmur.
That’s the way deals should be done. No time then for the public to assess the ethics of it and no air time for the media to debate.

The word ethics appeared in the above THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN THE NRL

CHN would look good in a Tigers jersey

Neither player is listed on the Bulldogs website.

Am I the only one who struggles to see what people see in CHN

I was with you. Mid size backrower who runs a decent line but still gets found out in defence.
However last year was different it’s like he had a growth spurt. He looked 10ft tall on the field and was dominating in every carry.
Best player in the Maori v Indigenous all stars by a country mile.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.