Buying a new computer - recommendations please.

I’m after a new desktop. Don’t want laptop or anything else.
Not for gaming just for net browsing, email etc etc.
Last comp I bought was thru Dell online, their website at the time (about 13 years ago) was very simple and easy to buy a tower /k’board/monitor package but now not so easy for this I.T. illiterate.
Any advice, websites etc appreciated… Sydney area.

An i5 (processor) will suffice. You don’t need an i7 or i9 processor for the basic stuff. Get a machine with an SSD rather than a HDD. 128GB will be sufficient. If you don’t have one already, a portable hard drive for transfering your files from your old machine to your new one will be a worthwhile investment. Then use it to ocasionally back-up your stuff. Again, you don’t need a huge or expensive one. I’d visit Harvey Norman, JB, the usual suspects and see what they have on clearance.

Also install some sort of antivirus and keep it up to date.

@tiger_scott said in Buying a new computer - recommendations please.:

An i5 (processor) will suffice. You don’t need an i7 or i9 processor for the basic stuff. Get a machine with an SSD rather than a HDD. 128GB will be sufficient. If you don’t have one already, a portable hard drive for transfering your files from your old machine to your new one will be a worthwhile investment. Then use it to ocasionally back-up your stuff. Again, you don’t need a huge or expensive one. I’d visit Harvey Norman, JB, the usual suspects and see what they have on clearance.

Pretty much this, if you are not doing video editing or gaming etc you really don’t need anything with a heap of power so an i5 will be fine, don’t let the sales person talk you into anything bigger than what you need. I would do as tiger_scott suggests and just head into a JB and see what they have on sale.

last edited by cochise

Something like below will keep you going well into the future. Total cost about $1050. Use below as a guide to the type of system.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/hp-s01-pf0315d-slim-desktop-tower-512gb-i5

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/dell-23-6-se2417hgx-full-hd-75hz-monitor

I bought an all-in-one i5 with 128 gb ssd and a 1tb hard drive from HP authorised reconditioned, 2 yr warranty. Same as you i just use it for general browsing etc. Kids use it for basic games and video chat. You can get some good reconditioned machines at great prices if you search a bit.

If your just using it for general browsing there is no need to get anything above i5

Sometimes it is cheaper to build it yourself, but you can construct it online and then get it sent straught to you

If your not in business desk tops are a waste … get a surface pro with key board/ pen / mouse you can set it up permanently or use it mobile it’s the only way to go and they are reliable .

@innsaneink said in Buying a new computer - recommendations please.:

Last comp I bought was thru Dell online, their website at the time (about 13 years ago) was very simple and easy to buy a tower /k’board/monitor package but now not so easy for this I.T. illiterate.

do you have a budget mate?

@innsaneink said in Buying a new computer - recommendations please.:

check techno city. Like a food court for computers

http://www.technocity.com.au/shops.html

@Geo said in Buying a new computer - recommendations please.:

Commodore 64…

yes Geo i have your computer right here27790882-8613-4288-ac57-2980b9d9d1a3-image.png

I just bought a mini Mac - I like it.

I bought a wireless mouse and keyboard and use the tv as a monitor.

( I know you can do that with any computer and the technology has been around for years.)

My work is totally in the Mac environment so had little choice. But I use a parallels client to run my finance applications. (Vector vest) which it runs easily with the processor and memory.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.