Are we getting too enthusiastic?

in a season where there have been many upsets, and where our team has been more up and down than a yo-yo, and against a team that has its own share of troubles, yes, we can draw some positives, but the real measure of where we are, physically, mentally, and desire-wise, will surely be this Thursday night - a day of reckoning, for the players and the coaching staff. Sadly, we have a record of resurrecting teams, but hopefully this Madgemania will translate into attitude. Can’t wait for this one!!

It’s about time we win one over Parra.

@Newtown said in Are we getting too enthusiastic?:

It’s about time we win one over Parra.

yep they smashed us in easter monday last year

then the next time we versed them we made Takarangi look like a future immortal

We have only beaten the worst teams recently, Bulldogs without their best player, Broncos. When we play a decent team it hasn’t gone so well. Even Rabbitohs. So yeah my view of the year hasn’t really changed yet =p I’d say we can finish 8th or 9th this year is possible though. If Tigers beat Eels i’ll start to have more optimism.

last edited by Jay

The way I see it, what we can take from the Brisbane game is: before the game we were expected to win it, & we went on to pump them convincingly putting together probably our best 80-min performance of the year. This is something we’ve rarely been able to achieve. So that is a positive for me.

All of the commentary since the game has been about how poor the Broncos were & not how good we were. But that’s because we have traditionally been inconsistent. This last month we’ve been strong but also lacked discipline & therefore lost a couple of games that could’ve easily went our way (i.e. v Penrith). This Thursday is another opportunity to put in an 80 min performance & potentially change the way the competition view us.

I hope we stay focused & bring the same enthusiasm, energy & execution we did against the Broncos. We need to show that consistency to get us into the finals.

We are a massive long shot to make the finals. TAB has us at $2.75:1 to make the 8.

If you play with the NRL Ladder Predictor - https://www.nrl.com/ladder/?competition=111
We have a very tough draw, we need to win every game against teams below us and 2 against teams above us. It is a very tough ask.

Someone called Tunza does a maths based Power Ranking Analysis on the Reddit NRL forum and only gives us a 3.7% chance of making the finals - https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/huc2yx/nrl_power_rankings_round_11_2020/

There is some hope but you are fooling yourself if you expect Wests Tigers to make the 8 this year.

Probably, it’s not the first time we’ve all jumped the gun thinking our team was on the up, only to come crashing down the following week with an insipid performance. I suppose I’m still a little cautious about getting too excited. The team was great last Friday, they played with a lot of grit and enthusiasm for the full eighty, but let’s face it, the Broncos never even threatened. In fact they were pretty atrocious.

It would be really pleasing if we have actually turned the corner once and for all. I guess the test is this week, an emphatic win over the slimes will go a long way to turning us into true believers.

It would be a surprise if we made finals. We have the hardest draw out of everyone and we will have to beat the teams above us to make it which we haven’t done all year. We are still over achieving with our roster

@Sart0ri said in Are we getting too enthusiastic?:

There is some hope but you are fooling yourself if you expect Wests Tigers to make the 8 this year.

Has anyone ever EXPECTED Tigers to make the finals? That’s true optimism.

Every Refs call and every bounce of the ball went our way against the Bronco’s and their defence was awful.

Eels have looked like headless chickens for the last 2 weeks without Mitchell Moses, if we beat them on Thursday it gives our chances of making the 8 a huge boost.

Every Refs call and every bounce of the ball went our way against the Bronco’s and their defence was awful.

Eels have looked like headless chickens for the last 2 weeks without Mitchell Moses, if we beat them on Thursday it gives our chances of making the 8 a huge boost.

Problem is Moses will be back 😂

@JoshColeman99 said in Are we getting too enthusiastic?:

Problem is Moses will be back

Maybe. He may also not be 100%. We should also know that he does not do well when under pressure.

It’s a test for us against what’s expected to be full strength team on their home ground … which by the way … they rarely lose on.
And they’ll be pumped after a loss to Manly … so it’s a loss they had to have. The refs probably going to give them all 50:50 calls and the restarts as we are the black hat guys. They have us on paper all over the field.
So we are definitely the underdogs and it’s a tough ask … but you just never know.
Again it will be up to our forwards to lay the foundations and if that happens we are in with a slim chance.
Will be interesting … may be the guide for rest of our season … as we are locked in a battle for the 6-8 spot on the ladder with a increasing bunch of teams.
I just hope we don’t get dusted … a close result (hopefully a win) will do me.

Someone called Tunza does a maths based Power Ranking Analysis on the Reddit NRL forum and only gives us a 3.7% chance of making the finals - https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/huc2yx/nrl_power_rankings_round_11_2020/

Interesting; doesn’t explain the maths so I don’t quite get the assumptions, but he’s got Sharks 89% to make the finals, Tigers 3.7%. Tigers currently above Sharks F/A and accounted for the Sharks in our meeting. Weird.

Yeah, big game. I’d be surprised if we make the 8. Need to start beating teams above us and we are yet to do that. Though also feel we’re not too far away. Unfortunately Grant leaving at the end of the year is a little bit two steps forward, one step back. Forwards are coming along nicely though - hopefully Packer can stay fit and in form and we have a pretty good pack that should keep us competitive this year and next.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.