Jekyll and Hyde

I think we showed the two things we do well in that game.

The first 20 minutes we picked them apart beautifully. A more experienced squad with better balance and we win comfortably. From a purist point of view it was brilliant, barely a wasted hit up. On the other hand, their forwards were getting them out of trouble and we couldn’t maintain pressure.

The second 60 minutes we showed what our young pack can do with aggression and power in the tackle. However the attacking structure lost a lot of shape until we started running second man plays for Mbye.

How do we combine these 2 things?
I’d say against Canberra and Penrith we saw the same thing as the second half tonight. Lots of heart but panicked in attack.

For all our shortcomings this is a decent footy team, the best we have had halfway through a season in a longtime. However I won’t feel like we can nail a spot on the 8 until we learn to combine flair and grit.

last edited by old_man_tiger

@old_man_tiger said in Jekyll and Hyde:

The first 20 minutes we picked them apart beautifully. A more experienced squad with better balance and we win comfortably. From a purist point of view it was brilliant, barely a wasted hit up. On the other hand, their forwards were getting them out of trouble and we couldn’t maintain pressure.

The second 60 minutes we showed what our young pack can do with aggression and power in the tackle. However the attacking structure lost a lot of shape until we started running second man plays for Mbye.

I’d say against Canberra and Penrith we saw the same thing as the second half tonight. Lots of heart but panicked in attack.

For all our shortcomings this is a decent footy team, the best we have had halfway through a season in a longtime. However I won’t feel like we can nail a spot on the 8 until we learn to combine flair and grit.

Good summation, its the first time in years where we are going into the second half of the season improving
and not limping.

We lost some key moments which need to be won in order to beat the top teams.

• Adam Doueihi not catching the ball on the first set of the second half (and subsequently being concussed), which started the avalanche of momentum against us.
  • A few dropped hot balls from Eisenhuth, Grant and Aloiai. We had Parra on the rack at the time of those mistakes.
  • Benji kicking the ball into Mahoney when we were starting to wrestle back the momentum. The game was beginning to turn into an arm wrestle, but this caused the flood gates to open again.
  • Benji had Shawn Blore in for a try, but Blore ran the wrong line. If Garner was playing, we probably score there.
  • The Reagan Campbell-Gillard try - there were three points that try should have been stopped. (1) There were three men in the tackle on Andrew Davey - Walters, Leilua and someone else. The offload should never have been allowed to happen. (2) There was a breakdown in communication between Packer and Grant. Grant went in on Gutherson when Packer had him covered. (3) Doueihi could have made better contact, which would have allowed Talau to get there earlier to attempt to stop the try.
last edited by Kazoo Kid

We combine them by removing the errors. Last week against Broncs we were almost error-free and got all the luck.

Tonight we hurt ourselves with errors and didn’t get the luck at all. Whilst we defended valiantly for large periods of time, Parra simply made very few errors for about 20 mins either side of HT and kept us hemmed in.

It made me think back to that 2010 semi against St George, where Saints weren’t a flashy side but they were immaculate at pinning you down your end with good kicking and starchy defence. Parra was similar tonight, they defended very well overall and we struggled to get the meterage and get field position back. Then we lost a few bodies and got tired. Never gave up, but lacked forward penetration.

You remove the errors and you don’t put yourself in that position having to defend multiple sets of 6. I think we ended up 70 or 80 tackles worse off after the 80 mins.

The Reagan Campbell-Gillard try - there were three points that try should have been stopped. (1) There were three men in the tackle on Andrew Davey - Walters, Leilua and someone else. The offload should never have been allowed to happen.

Mbye did not wrap the ball up in the tackle.

@old_man_tiger said in Jekyll and Hyde:

100% … great analysis.

@Kazoo-Kid said in Jekyll and Hyde:

• Adam Doueihi not catching the ball on the first set of the second half (and subsequently being concussed), which started the avalanche of momentum against us.
  • A few dropped hot balls from Eisenhuth, Grant and Aloiai. We had Parra on the rack at the time of those mistakes.
  • Benji kicking the ball into Mahoney when we were starting to wrestle back the momentum. The game was beginning to turn into an arm wrestle, but this caused the flood gates to open again.
  • Benji had Shawn Blore in for a try, but Blore ran the wrong line. If Garner was playing, we probably score there.
  • The Reagan Campbell-Gillard try - there were three points that try should have been stopped. (1) There were three men in the tackle on Andrew Davey - Walters, Leilua and someone else. The offload should never have been allowed to happen. (2) There was a breakdown in communication between Packer and Grant. Grant went in on Gutherson when Packer had him covered. (3) Doueihi could have made better contact, which would have allowed Talau to get there earlier to attempt to stop the try.

I really liked Talau’s chase, even though he did get to him on time it showed determination.

Still aways to go, but getting there. I’ll feel more satisfied when we start beating teams above us on the ladder.

Sorry but the Regan try in on alaoi he usually is works hard from the edge but he didn’t fill the hole that was crated if he follows the others in that hole isnt there

@mike said in Jekyll and Hyde:

I really liked Talau’s chase, even though he did get to him on time it showed determination.

Agreed he showed the attitude i would like to see from all of our players

Aloiai, he was again one of our best, inspirational runs!
By saying that, I would add point 2a) Aloiai was too slow to slide to the left and reduce the gap between him and Packer, he was still automatically moving to the right, and could not change his direction so he just watched as RCG run through the gap.

That’s a great summary i also have to question going for the 2 points instead of trying to score a try when they had defended a few back to back sets.

Maybe Mybe also dropped a Bomb after AD went off, however also challenged a 2nd one and was successful.

Good summary OMT. We are certainly building but just need to keep the focus on a disciplined performance for the full 80. We could’ve won that last night even with all the injuries if we had held onto the ball.

Still how good is it to see us play with so much heart & actually belt teams. I like the fact that teams will be black & blue for days after playing us. Long may this continue!

The big thing you missed with the RCG try was Aloiais failure to work back on the inside

Walters should have been trying to tie Davey up

Douehi should if put more pressure on RCG …in those situations you’d usually attack the player …trying to force him towards the quicker chaser in defence …Personally you’d go higher as well to try and unbalance the runner …slow his momentum more if you do miss him

3 of the 4 tries from there were poor positional play from the fullback and the last Nofa has to own

@hodgo said in Jekyll and Hyde:

Sorry but the Regan try in on alaoi he usually is works hard from the edge but he didn’t fill the hole that was crated if he follows the others in that hole isnt there

I watched the replay again, Aloiai turned his back on the tackle assuming it was completed, ran back to the 10m mark. When the offload came he had only just turned back around and sort of lumbered across, but Gutho had already put RCG through.

Huth was 5m behind the play where the offload was and came across hard as he could once RCG burst through, but he’s super duper slow and looked a bit tired at that point.

If Aloiai had eyes-up on the play he doesn’t retreat until held. It’s more difficult on your fitness to not retreat until you know for sure the tackle is complete, but that’s first grade.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.