If Madge fails.....

@willow said in If Madge fails.....:

@TigersBusDriver said in If Madge fails.....:

It’s clearly a team and mental problem. Against both the Titans and Warriors we take an early lead only to then sit back and get out-enthused by weaker teams and allow them back in. Madge was clearly not trying to be complacent, he was giving it to them in the dressing room at half time when we were up! So how can he be blamed for the complacency and lack of effort we saw last night

Agree. Madge knows what it takes to win a grand final, and I’m sure the players aren’t shirking their their job at training - Madge has come out and said on plenty of occasions how good he thinks the team is, or at least should be in terms of results. Last night was a mental collapse of sorts, not the first time, it happens far too often which is the problem.

How does he fix the problem though? It’s not feasible to clean out the entire roster. That is not the answer. There are certainly some players earning far more than they deserve, and some who provide nothing more than depth.

I know all the teams do boot camps in the off-season for team building and building resilience but Madge and the staff need to work on something to have the players raring to go each week when they step out on the field. It’s impossible to be at your best every week but it’s not unreasonable to strive for a level of consistency that rivals the likes of the Roosters, Penrith etc. They can afford to have an off day and account for teams like the Warriors and Titans. We cannot and that somehow, some way has to change.

Simple Willow …you rest a few

We win that game if we outhustle them …was never going to be a skill thing on Friday …roll the sleeves up have someone like Reynolds bounding around like a headless chicken getting the boys up …

No coincidence that Grant had his worst game last night …Lucy was down …Aloiai was down …

You know what amazes me about the loss to the Warriors…you all have come on here saying Madge will leave if he is not sacked…
Madge has made bench selections abhorently…
Madge shouldnt give them a spray they are men not kids etc etc etc etc…

What you all forgot is that Toddy Payton knows this club inside and out,Benji,Lawrence etc and he devised a plan for the Warriors to pick their marks and hammer them,hence so many offloads and line running that they havent done before…
Kudos to Toddy he beat us and Madge…
We are to thick between the ears to realise other teams are working out the has beens from the have nots…
I love the WTs but you cant blame Madge for the older players set in their ways we have in this squad…the sooner a cleanout happens the better results will arrive…just my opinion on this game and tear strips off me if you think Im wrong…

@Geo said in If Madge fails.....:

@avocadoontoast said in If Madge fails.....:

@Magpie1969 said in If Madge fails.....:

Maguire is not the problem it is the players he inherited. The juniors not playing this year has not helped. Need to get rid of overpaid players and say good bye to Lawrence and Marshall season end. I would be blooding players like Madden now with eye on 2021. Give Dylan Smith a go at full back or new signing AJ. Still hurting from Cleary legacy.

He re-signed Benji and Lawrence. In fact he signed or re-signed >70% of the team. Why did he do these signings or re-signings if they’re no good?

15 of the 17 who took the field were signed/re-signed/extended by MaGuire…

Only Nofoaluma and Mbye were not…Nofo had a crack like he always does scored a great TRY and Mbye is the Captain appointed by MaGuire…

Packer was one of the usual not MaGuire’s team but everyone wants him in the team now…go figure…

I was talking about the quality of players he has. Due to inflated contracts madge may have no choice in his signings. He might have to resign a player on 200k instead of going out and getting an upgrade for 400k.
I support Madge but feel he is hamstrung with his squad. We have also been debuting a lot of players because the class isn’t there.

Madge will not fail if we stay the course with hard training and recruitment.

I heard it put tjat a successful club has its top 5 paid players as their top 5 performing players.

Mbye, Reynolds, packer, brooks

This isnt and hasnt ever been this clubs case in recent history.

We are on track with Madge…

It may sound strange at this time but I think we need to extend Madge 2 years until the end of 2023. He needs the authority that he won’t leave or be sacked if the team turns it up next year. It will also coincide with the second year after the new COE and 1 year after we have a clear salary cap. Whether or not he gets success is a big question but what is certain is that the players and the club will be in better shape. Reality is we need him more than he needs us.

The club has to get better around the coach. We need to spend money on halves coaches like Johns and assistants to help out. It looks from the outside in all on the coaches shoulders.

I’m happy to give him an extra year. Can take a long long time for a coach to turn a team around. New coaches constantly does nothing but harm and there’s not any better coaches available

@TYGA said in If Madge fails.....:

It may sound strange at this time but I think we need to extend Madge 2 years until the end of 2023. He needs the authority that he won’t leave or be sacked if the team turns it up next year. It will also coincide with the second year after the new COE and 1 year after we have a clear salary cap. Whether or not he gets success is a big question but what is certain is that the players and the club will be in better shape. Reality is we need him more than he needs us.

The club has to get better around the coach. We need to spend money on halves coaches like Johns and assistants to help out. It looks from the outside in all on the coaches shoulders.

Agree. I don’t believe we will attract a better coach than Maguire Canberra stuck by Ricky Stuart and experienced some ordinary years under him and his reputation as a coach came under question but the club stuck strong and it’s paid dividends. There will always be noise about coaches that players and fans don’t like - we have all heard the Maguire stories, but feel this club needs to demonstrate stability and that includes backing the coach.

@Telltails said in If Madge fails.....:

Agree. I don’t believe we will attract a better coach than Maguire Canberra stuck by Ricky Stuart and experienced some ordinary years under him and his reputation as a coach came under question but the club stuck strong and it’s paid dividends. There will always be noise about coaches that players and fans don’t like - we have all heard the Maguire stories, but feel this club needs to demonstrate stability and that includes backing the coach.

Stuart was there for 5 years before he Took them
To a grand final. Arthur has been at Eels for 5 years before making them into a premiership contender. Some coaches take time

Ricky example is a great one we are in exactly the same position. Can’t recruit anyone and changing culture and team. No one is turning the Tigers into a perennial finals team in the short term.

I think it’s about time we heard from Lee and other board members showing some solidarity and support of Madge.

@Tiger-Tragic said in If Madge fails.....:

@Red88_Tiger said in If Madge fails.....:

I don’t blame Madge. If the players don’t buy in to what he is doing then see you later I say

One of them did, Ryan Matterson. All of Souths eventually did too.

Where there’s smoke?

All of South’s did? Are you speaking with knowledge of that or assumption. Because people believe and repeat stuff like that.

No knowledge, as such, but repeating commentary about his departure from Souths; that senior players had grown tired and unwilling to put up with his intense manner and approach to coaching and player management.

Maguire, himself, alluded to that when he took on the role at WT; that he had “learnt” from his experiences at Souths. I took that to mean how to better gain and maintain the trust, respect and belief of the players. I hope he succeeds in it here.

@twentyforty said in If Madge fails.....:

I think it’s about time we heard from Lee and other board members showing some solidarity and support of Madge.

What like Madge has the full support of the board? If that happens it’s the beginning of the end for Madge.

It’s not needed or required and I certainly wouldn’t want to hear those words.

If the board gets involved publicly then there is a serious issue beyond the scope of the coach and it’s bye bye Madge.

last edited by mike

@twentyforty said in If Madge fails.....:

Why would they need to? Maguire is under no threat. We are speculating on here, again, in a topic titled “If Madge fails …” Nothing else.

They don’t have to but it wouldn’t hurt.
Few clubs out there would love to have him.
Seriously cows and warriors are looking at payton??

last edited by PJ

I want to see him target some gun players either here or from England , if the raiders can do it then why the hell cant we . We need some experienced players coming in and they can’t be on there last legs .

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.