@avocadoontoast said in If Madge fails.....:

@Cairnstigers said in If Madge fails.....:

@Rugba said in If Madge fails.....:

@PJ said in If Madge fails.....:

@twentyforty said in If Madge fails.....:

@mike said in If Madge fails.....:

I think it’s about time we heard from Lee and other board members showing some solidarity and support of Madge.

What like Madge has the full support of the board? If that happens it’s the beginning of the end for Madge.

It’s not needed or required and I certainly wouldn’t want to hear those words.

If the board gets involved publicly then there is a serious issue beyond the scope of the coach and it’s bye bye Madge.

Ha ha, Mike, I see your point, but there are many other ways board members can publicly display solidarity without using that cliche which means the door is now open. Ha ha.
It’s very important that the players are aware that player management and board are as one. We’ve all seen cases where the players perform badly to influence the boards view of the coaching roster. Some players find the training too hard etc.

The board should not be seen or heard . Honestly do you hear about the roosters board , lately and only very lately we have heard anything from Politis

As for board showing some support , you are overdramatising the situation . Yes bad result and bad season , fixing up a club takes time , getting into the 8 is great but no use if it’s not sutainable .

As much as I hate quoting Phil Gould , as he is mr 20/20 hindsight and mostly full of it he has made good points too and that is

• it takes. Coach / board to ruin a club with 12-18 months BUT takes. Coach / board 5 years to fix it .
    Look at the mess dib/ des created In the end at dogs , 3 years and still trying to get out of it , but that board has a plan and they have not been falling for stupid media pressure for them to fix it, I guarantee dogs will be a force in 2 years .

Now with madge, it’s his 2nd year it takes time , you can see he is building up the young and junior base, trying to install a culture this all takes time. It’s not a quick fix , board has not panicked and madge does not seem to be panicking .

This is why the board “showing support” will have opposite affect and cause more dramas and the same old same old as past 10years will happen at the tigers

Not so much as a statement from the board saying “we are behind madge 100%”, more so a show of support by extending his contract. He is the right man for the job. Give him 10yrs for all I care. Which other coach out there screams results for us besides Bellamy? Maybe Robinson? We wouldn’t get him anyway. Madge is our coach at least for the next 5yrs.

Agree extend him 2 years

Yes i would be ok with that
Madge needs a little leeway so he can get rid of
Reynolds
McQueen
MCK
Lawrence
Marshall
Packer ?
At the least
And probably try and get an upgrade on Brooks
I don’t think Madge should re sign any of those listed
We need to move on
I don’t care if it appears no one better is available
We should be giving opportunities to some new blood
I am tired of loosing games with the same old players that don’t perform
Move on and find someone new
Offer Brandon smith $800,000 to $850,000
Offer Munster $1,200,000
Offer TPJ $750,000
Offer ADDO-CARR $550,000
Offer Johnston $550,000
We won’t get all but these players are an upgrade on any of ours
Otherwise sign the very best juniors looking for an opportunity
Anything less then that is a complete waste of time IMO
I know Geo will support Munster and maybe he should be our No1 target
Just dont waste money on crap
Get players that will make a difference

Chee Kam, Lawrence and Marshall were all re-signed by Madge.

Rowdy was a board decision IMO with him running to the media … the Brooks situation smells the same .

@BalmainJnr said in If Madge fails.....:

Madge interview from this morning. Talks Warriors, a little knights and culture change.
http://www.skyracing.com.au/radio.php?do=aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLnNreXJhY2luZy5jb20uYXUvUE9ELzU5L3BWMk9BNC5tcDM=&title=Michael Maguire

Over the cultural change … that’s easy cut the bad culture out and replace it !

@Snake said in If Madge fails.....:

Madge interview from this morning. Talks Warriors, a little knights and culture change.
http://www.skyracing.com.au/radio.php?do=aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLnNreXJhY2luZy5jb20uYXUvUE9ELzU5L3BWMk9BNC5tcDM=&title=Michael Maguire

Madge is trying to change the culture of the club, not just the playing group. I’m not sure anyone is capable of doing that. It’s pretty hard to cut the owners out.

I think it’s about time we heard from Lee and other board members showing some solidarity and support of Madge.

What like Madge has the full support of the board? If that happens it’s the beginning of the end for Madge.

If the board gets involved publicly then there is a serious issue beyond the scope of the coach and it’s bye bye Madge.

Ha ha, Mike, I see your point, but there are many other ways board members can publicly display solidarity without using that cliche which means the door is now open. Ha ha.
It’s very important that the players are aware that player management and board are as one. We’ve all seen cases where the players perform badly to influence the boards view of the coaching roster. Some players find the training too hard etc.

The board should not be seen or heard . Honestly do you hear about the roosters board , lately and only very lately we have heard anything from Politis

As for board showing some support , you are overdramatising the situation . Yes bad result and bad season , fixing up a club takes time , getting into the 8 is great but no use if it’s not sutainable .

As much as I hate quoting Phil Gould , as he is mr 20/20 hindsight and mostly full of it he has made good points too and that is

• it takes. Coach / board to ruin a club with 12-18 months BUT takes. Coach / board 5 years to fix it .
    Look at the mess dib/ des created In the end at dogs , 3 years and still trying to get out of it , but that board has a plan and they have not been falling for stupid media pressure for them to fix it, I guarantee dogs will be a force in 2 years .

Now with madge, it’s his 2nd year it takes time , you can see he is building up the young and junior base, trying to install a culture this all takes time. It’s not a quick fix , board has not panicked and madge does not seem to be panicking .

This is why the board “showing support” will have opposite affect and cause more dramas and the same old same old as past 10years will happen at the tigers

Board letting the coach and his staff do their job without interfering …

Equates to STABILITY…the thing this club has craved for years and now are getting it…and the next step is improved culture which we are on our way to…

@TrueTiger said in If Madge fails.....:

Equates to STABILITY…the thing this club has craved for years and now are getting it…and the next step is improved culture which we are on our way to…

Didn’t the board do that with Cleary ?

@hobbo1 said in If Madge fails.....:

Didn’t the board do that with Cleary ?

Yes I think they did,but Cleary didnt do his job properly and left the ship to sink…I think they have learnt their lesson and Madge doesnt appear to be a type of snake in the grass Ivy baby is…

@Tigerbuck63 said in If Madge fails.....:

@Magpie1969 said in If Madge fails.....:

Maguire is not the problem it is the players he inherited. The juniors not playing this year has not helped. Need to get rid of overpaid players and say good bye to Lawrence and Marshall season end. I would be blooding players like Madden now with eye on 2021. Give Dylan Smith a go at full back or new signing AJ. Still hurting from Cleary legacy.

Well if the players played with the same enthusiasm as we did the last few weeks we should have won easily, they did’nt.
I heard Madge’s press conference prior and he was going on about the NZ and looking forward to having a chat with SBW.
To me that is not focused on what is required for this week with the Tigers.
His selections were questionable, he is persevering with a Captain that is not playing well at centre, Half back on the bench ridiculous.
Twal not fit was he on holidays after the injury, should of been on the bench.
Grant tired and needed a break.
I also don’t mind giving players a spray but at half time i would have preferred a game plan instead and a spray later, the players are not respecting the coach and i think he has already lost the dressing room.

Is looking that way, only explanation

@Snake said in If Madge fails.....:

I hear you but this time Madge, with the support of Hartigan, is trying to change a decade of bad habits and low standards (not just on the playing field). Mammoth job.

last edited by BalmainJnr

@happy_tiger said in If Madge fails.....:

@willow said in If Madge fails.....:

@TigersBusDriver said in If Madge fails.....:

It’s clearly a team and mental problem. Against both the Titans and Warriors we take an early lead only to then sit back and get out-enthused by weaker teams and allow them back in. Madge was clearly not trying to be complacent, he was giving it to them in the dressing room at half time when we were up! So how can he be blamed for the complacency and lack of effort we saw last night

Agree. Madge knows what it takes to win a grand final, and I’m sure the players aren’t shirking their their job at training - Madge has come out and said on plenty of occasions how good he thinks the team is, or at least should be in terms of results. Last night was a mental collapse of sorts, not the first time, it happens far too often which is the problem.

How does he fix the problem though? It’s not feasible to clean out the entire roster. That is not the answer. There are certainly some players earning far more than they deserve, and some who provide nothing more than depth.

I know all the teams do boot camps in the off-season for team building and building resilience but Madge and the staff need to work on something to have the players raring to go each week when they step out on the field. It’s impossible to be at your best every week but it’s not unreasonable to strive for a level of consistency that rivals the likes of the Roosters, Penrith etc. They can afford to have an off day and account for teams like the Warriors and Titans. We cannot and that somehow, some way has to change.

Simple Willow …you rest a few

We win that game if we outhustle them …was never going to be a skill thing on Friday …roll the sleeves up have someone like Reynolds bounding around like a headless chicken getting the boys up …

No coincidence that Grant had his worst game last night …Lucy was down …Aloiai was down …

Who could we afford to replace them with?

@rex2ce said in If Madge fails.....:

Maguire is not the problem it is the players he inherited. The juniors not playing this year has not helped. Need to get rid of overpaid players and say good bye to Lawrence and Marshall season end. I would be blooding players like Madden now with eye on 2021. Give Dylan Smith a go at full back or new signing AJ. Still hurting from Cleary legacy.

Well if the players played with the same enthusiasm as we did the last few weeks we should have won easily, they did’nt.
I heard Madge’s press conference prior and he was going on about the NZ and looking forward to having a chat with SBW.
His selections were questionable, he is persevering with a Captain that is not playing well at centre, Half back on the bench ridiculous.
I also don’t mind giving players a spray but at half time i would have preferred a game plan instead and a spray later, the players are not respecting the coach and i think he has already lost the dressing room.

I dont know if you have played a lot of Rugby League and Im not critisicing your comments,but let me clarify something for you…

Madge would have done his home work on the Worriors game coming up the next week,he would have spoken to the players and said this is the gameplan for the game…

eg… I want x to do this I want y to do this etc and they would have practiced moves and plays consistent to his plan…his chair kicking and frustration would have been caused because they didnt adhere to what they have practiced all week and left themselves in a vunerable position that cost them the game…
coaching isnt easy as many of us know,when players dont stick to the plays and plans practiced then it really pisses off the coach…
And yes I have played many years of football and have had strips torn off me for not doing as I was asked by the coach…I did what I thought would help,but instead hindered the process…

last edited by TrueTiger

@avocadoontoast said in If Madge fails.....:

@Kazoo-Kid said in If Madge fails.....:

If Madge can’t fix us no one can. We can’t take much more of this.

When he was giving them the spray at half time they looked like they’d clocked off… not a good sign.

How many sprays can a grown man take ?
I woulda told him to get …

How many pathetic performances can a coach take before he gives his player a spray

But we were up at halftime

Its an 80 minute game
Not 40 minutes
I would rather be up at full time
As would you

So you pull aside the offending individuals, berate them if you have nothing better to offer, then highlight the general deficiencies from the first 40 to the side and pinpoint any particular areas that they need to concentrate on.

The alternative is to point fingers, whilst aiming angry eyes and ranting at the squad. When in the match and especially six points up, I know which one I would choose to be on either end of.

This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!

@rex2ce said in If Madge fails.....:

I dont know if you have played a lot of Rugby League and Im not critisicing your comments,but let me clarify something for you…

Madge would have done his home work on the Worriors game coming up the next week,he would have spoken to the players and said this is the gameplan for the game…

eg… I want x to do this I want y to do this etc and they would have practiced moves and plays consistent to his plan…his chair kicking and frustration would have been caused because they didnt adhere to what they have practiced all week and left themselves in a vunerable position that cost them the game…
coaching isnt easy as many of us know,when players dont stick to the plays and plans practiced then it really pisses off the coach…
And yes I have played many years of football and have had strips torn off me for not doing as I was asked by the coach…I did what I thought would help,but instead hindered the process…

That’s assuming of course that the plan practiced all week was the correct one…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.