If Madge fails.....

@Telltails said in If Madge fails.....:

People need to look at our team stats to rate how Maguire is going. We are in the top four to five teams in most areas other than goal kicking. If Madgeball is what has got us second in scoring tries with with a spine and backline no one rates he must be doing something right.

Yes doing everything except actually winning!

@Spud_Murphy said in If Madge fails.....:

@Telltails said in If Madge fails.....:

People need to look at our team stats to rate how Maguire is going. We are in the top four to five teams in most areas other than goal kicking. If Madgeball is what has got us second in scoring tries with with a spine and backline no one rates he must be doing something right.

Yes doing everything except actually winning!

Some would say the most important stat

@TigersBusDriver said in If Madge fails.....:

It’s clearly a team and mental problem. Against both the Titans and Warriors we take an early lead only to then sit back and get out-enthused by weaker teams and allow them back in. Madge was clearly not trying to be complacent, he was giving it to them in the dressing room at half time when we were up! So how can he be blamed for the complacency and lack of effort we saw last night

Agree. Madge knows what it takes to win a grand final, and I’m sure the players aren’t shirking their their job at training - Madge has come out and said on plenty of occasions how good he thinks the team is, or at least should be in terms of results. Last night was a mental collapse of sorts, not the first time, it happens far too often which is the problem.

How does he fix the problem though? It’s not feasible to clean out the entire roster. That is not the answer. There are certainly some players earning far more than they deserve, and some who provide nothing more than depth.

I know all the teams do boot camps in the off-season for team building and building resilience but Madge and the staff need to work on something to have the players raring to go each week when they step out on the field. It’s impossible to be at your best every week but it’s not unreasonable to strive for a level of consistency that rivals the likes of the Roosters, Penrith etc. They can afford to have an off day and account for teams like the Warriors and Titans. We cannot and that somehow, some way has to change.

👏

@willow said in If Madge fails.....:

It’s clearly a team and mental problem. Against both the Titans and Warriors we take an early lead only to then sit back and get out-enthused by weaker teams and allow them back in. Madge was clearly not trying to be complacent, he was giving it to them in the dressing room at half time when we were up! So how can he be blamed for the complacency and lack of effort we saw last night

Agree. Madge knows what it takes to win a grand final, and I’m sure the players aren’t shirking their their job at training - Madge has come out and said on plenty of occasions how good he thinks the team is, or at least should be in terms of results. Last night was a mental collapse of sorts, not the first time, it happens far too often which is the problem.

How does he fix the problem though? It’s not feasible to clean out the entire roster. That is not the answer. There are certainly some players earning far more than they deserve, and some who provide nothing more than depth.

I know all the teams do boot camps in the off-season for team building and building resilience but Madge and the staff need to work on something to have the players raring to go each week when they step out on the field. It’s impossible to be at your best every week but it’s not unreasonable to strive for a level of consistency that rivals the likes of the Roosters, Penrith etc. They can afford to have an off day and account for teams like the Warriors and Titans. We cannot and that somehow, some way has to change.

Exactly. And Madge knew exactly what was going to happen at half time. He knows it all too well already, the team is just not mentally strong enough.

Exactly. And Madge knew exactly what was going to happen at half time. He knows it all too well already, the team is just not mentally strong enough.

Anyone who is familiar with the tigers could see what was happening last night. The coaches job is to identify the cause and fix them. I think screaming and chair kicking can be crossed off the list of techniques to manage it.

You can see a coach is in trouble when it goes from we to they.

@Harvey said in If Madge fails.....:

Anyone who is familiar with the tigers could see what was happening last night. The coaches job is to identify the cause and fix them. I think screaming and chair kicking can be crossed off the list of techniques to manage it.

Yep, not the best approach. They’re grown men, not kids

@avocadoontoast said in If Madge fails.....:

Kids trapped inside men’s bodies 😂
First thing I’d do is make them hand in there x box’s

Can see where this is going. We’ve been here a few times before.

@WT2K said in If Madge fails.....:

Can see where this is going. We’ve been here a few times before.

I just think the approach should be modified to suit the audience. He went nuts in that Canterbury game last year and it had the same effect. If it isn’t working, try something else 🤷‍♂️

@Tigerbuck63 said in If Madge fails.....:

i saw nothing at half time where the players respected what he was saying. We were completing our sets, In front if i was a player i would have thought give us a break we are trying but key players are letting us down.
What’s the game plan in the 2nd half coach, when is brooks on??
Walters was doing nothing i would have made changes at half time, that would have sent a message to the team instead of a spray.

Good to see others now joining in the chorus on this, as the spray seemed way out of place in the circumstances, with the failure to act on necessary changes not that far behind.

@formerguest said in If Madge fails.....:

i saw nothing at half time where the players respected what he was saying. We were completing our sets, In front if i was a player i would have thought give us a break we are trying but key players are letting us down.
Walters was doing nothing i would have made changes at half time, that would have sent a message to the team instead of a spray.

Good to see others now joining in the chorus on this, as the spray seemed way out of place in the circumstances, with the failure to act on necessary changes not that far behind.

100% agreed. I applaud some extra toughness, but not the chair kicking and yelling when you’re ahead or in a dogfight.

I’m very confused by the Brooks situation. I reckon he thought he could get away with it one more week and beat the warriors with 16 if he had to. 3 playmakers didn’t help when there is no one to run a line.

Bellamy goes off like a cracker in view of everyone every week and is renowned for dressing down the players in the sheds for below par performances. Best way for players to not want to be victim to that is to play with more urgency.

People need to read between the lines Madge is prepared to lose games to change the culture here otherwise he is doomed long term. I don’t think brining in Walters gives us any better chance than Brooks but for Brooks to improve he had to be dropped. If he had faith in the halves he wouldn’t have Brooks on the bench.

He should have lost it at half time he could see what was coming with a disgraceful final 30 minutes to the first half. We would have been down by 30 against a top side. The team was asleep at the wheel. Lifeless performance in attack and defence there was no real effort to win that game.

Madge is using every trick in the book but he’s slowly realising that this roster is not competitive and he has to make changes. We fire up every time players are dropped. It’s a bad sign that there is no real drive to be successful.

Packer has surprisingly been our leader when in the team he was missed badly. Doesn’t take a backward step when fit.

I can see Madge leaving …it won’t be Iv bad , but many won’t be happy

@formerguest said in If Madge fails.....:

Can’t keep blasting blokes week after week …it wears off very quickly …2 a year they say …probably right

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.