breathe

@PJ said in breathe:

@Speed2burn said in breathe:

@PJ said in breathe:

If we have to pay overs to attract franchise players, so be it. Titans did it with fafita, souths with Inglis. Once we get one, the rest will follow on market prices.
We need change desperately.

Offer everything we’ve got to Luke Keary for 4 years

Agree.

Every game I’ve watched him play he’s pure class.

3 comps at 2 different clubs aswell says it all really

We are a team that will miss the 8 AGAIN for the 10TH year -/even the crappiest teams over the last 10 years have made the finals at least once. FFS the Titans have made it once… kinda over “we’re building” and next year… to be honest.

@PJ said in breathe:

@Sart0ri said in breathe:

@PJ said in breathe:

If we have to pay overs to attract franchise players, so be it. Titans did it with fafita, souths with Inglis. Once we get one, the rest will follow on market prices.

We recently tried that with Reynolds, Packer and Mbye. It does not always work and when it doesn’t you are screwed for years.

We need a franchise star but we also need young players with potential and reliable, hard working players.

Keary is in a different class. Even if we can’t approach yet, doesn’t take much for madge to let him know we’re keen

and less for him to tell us where to go

My argument was that you can only have one star player on overs without needing a lot of lower level players to balance the salary cap.
$1.2M a year for Keary sounds good to me, over 4 years he would be getting over $1M more with us. If only there was a draft to stop the top teams staying on top.

last edited by Sart0ri

@avocadoontoast said in breathe:

@Needaname said in breathe:

@JoshColeman99 said in breathe:

Our roster still isn’t a top 8 roster that’s for sure. Rebuilds take a long time and Madge has only been here a season and a half.

It’s hard to be patient when it’s been so long but it is a slow long process unfortunately.

But as I said yesterday, why, with a better roster than last year, are we in a worse position? It doesn’t make sense. Before you blame the draw we’ve been beaten by two of the worst teams in the comp and haven’t beaten one team in the 8…

Is it a better roster than last year???
Have you compared the two squads?

Yes, without question.

New signings for 2020: Billy Walters (Storm), Luciano Leilua (Dragons), Zane Musgrove (held over from 2019), Joey Leilua (Raiders), Adam Doueihi (Rabbitohs)

Losses: Mahe Fonua (Hull FC), Robbie Farah, Ben Matulino & Robbie Rochow (retired), Esan Marsters (Cowboys), Ryan Matterson (Eels)

Yes. But consider the experience that we lost as well.
We’ve lost.
Farah 300+
Fonua 100+
Rochow 150+
Matolino 250
Masters 50+
Matterson 50+

Recruited
Billy 1 game
Joey 200+?
Musgrove 50+
Grant 3 games
Doueihi less than 50
Lucy less than 50

@supercoach said in breathe:

Where I agree with the post, that what we are getting is what you would expect from our squad, given the class of player we have at our disposal, but…this is nothing new, all our weaknesses have been there for a long long time and nothing much seems to be happening to rectify the problem. Goal kicking,speed, the spine and a forward leader have been out Achilles heel for years.

I guess attracting players to the club is our major problem and how do you fix that is anyone guess, but paying massive overs is probably the only possibly way.

Next year without some miracle recruitment we will be in even a bigger hole…very hard to be upbeat and positive

Lets also put last nights game into perspective, what’s the main reason we are all so disappointed - We lost again to a team that we were expected to win by +13.5
This is the story of our club most years, compete hard against the better clubs fall just short, win a couple with upsets, and play poorly against bottom teams that eventually determine our fate of not making the 8 again.

Yes our Roster is improving but we still have the same players over many seasons now that can’t take us to the next level.
Brooks, Marshall, Mybe, Reynolds, Nofo , Garner, with no recognized hooker.
The coaches spray at half time is non inspirational, we were in front.
So it now comes down to having a spine and game management, forwards i think are better, and dare i say it again but a better coach.

@JoshColeman99 said in breathe:

Our roster still isn’t a top 8 roster that’s for sure. Rebuilds take a long time and Madge has only been here a season and a half.

It’s hard to be patient when it’s been so long but it is a slow long process unfortunately.

But as I said yesterday, why, with a better roster than last year, are we in a worse position? It doesn’t make sense. Before you blame the draw we’ve been beaten by two of the worst teams in the comp and haven’t beaten one team in the 8…

Is it a better roster than last year???
Have you compared the two squads?

Yes, without question.

New signings for 2020: Billy Walters (Storm), Luciano Leilua (Dragons), Zane Musgrove (held over from 2019), Joey Leilua (Raiders), Adam Doueihi (Rabbitohs)

Losses: Mahe Fonua (Hull FC), Robbie Farah, Ben Matulino & Robbie Rochow (retired), Esan Marsters (Cowboys), Ryan Matterson (Eels)

Yes. But consider the experience that we lost as well.
We’ve lost.
Farah 300+
Fonua 100+
Rochow 150+
Matolino 250
Masters 50+
Matterson 50+

Recruited
Billy 1 game
Joey 200+?
Musgrove 50+
Grant 3 games
Doueihi less than 50
Lucy less than 50

No doubt but it’s still a better squad imo.
Robbie was shot after the first half of the season and the rest ex Matterson added very little. Matterson our only real loss from last year.

I see everyone saying its been a ten year rebuild etc. And it will continue to be a rebuild unless we stick with a coach and a plan. We are in this situation because of constant change and lack of direction. Now we have direction and purpose. Truthfully the rebuild starts now

@hodgo said in breathe:

I see everyone saying its been a ten year rebuild etc. And it will continue to be a rebuild unless we stick with a coach and a plan. We are in this situation because of constant change and lack of direction. Now we have direction and purpose. Truthfully the rebuild starts now

Starts now? Madge has been here for almost 2 years and we are starting the rebuild now, so how long do we have to wait, another 2, 3, 5 years?

@cochise said in breathe:

@hodgo said in breathe:

Starts now? Madge has been here for almost 2 years and we are starting the rebuild now, so how long do we have to wait, another 2, 3, 5 years?

Wonder if Madge will re-sign Jennings?

@hobbo1 said in breathe:

@hodgo said in breathe:

Who we don’t re-sign will be a big indicator for me.

last edited by cochise

@hobbo1 said in breathe:

@hodgo said in breathe:

Who we resign will be a big indicator for me.

100%
Just good honest all round footy players would suffice
…and a goal kicker would be handy !

@PJ said in breathe:

@PJ said in breathe:

Offer everything we’ve got to Luke Keary for 4 years

Agree.

Every game I’ve watched him play he’s pure class.

3 comps at 2 different clubs aswell says it all really

Yeah man. He will find it hard to refuse 1.5 a yr

@Harvey said in breathe:

@PJ said in breathe:

@Sart0ri said in breathe:

@PJ said in breathe:

We recently tried that with Reynolds, Packer and Mbye. It does not always work and when it doesn’t you are screwed for years.

We need a franchise star but we also need young players with potential and reliable, hard working players.

Keary is in a different class. Even if we can’t approach yet, doesn’t take much for madge to let him know we’re keen

and less for him to tell us where to go

Money talks

@hodgo said in breathe:

you have to wait until the damage done previously has been righted. We have contract that need to go about 2mils worth of them. But then you know that, theres no magic whistle to get rid of them champ.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.