A goal kicker...and a captain...

Made this post last year…and the year(s) before that…

But does it not ever cross anyone at the club’s mind that going up by 6 would help? Tons of outside backs kick goals…and we have a poor back line. It is not like we have not had spots to fill. Manly got themselves a goal kicking winger as soon as Dessie arrived. 12-0 last night and it is a different game. They were park footy kicks.

I know ours occasionally nail a goal line kick, but we miss so many easy shots. Pot shots. And we never look confident kicking. It is not that hard…no other team in the history of the game has gone half a decade without a regular kicker. None. Yet we have not prioritised it. Almost incomprehensible.

Actually, make that completely incomprehensible.

While I am at it…has it also ever crossed anyone at the club’s mind that, when we are struggling and heads are down behind the posts…that a captain who could rev them all up might help? Having vets who stare into space after tries and do not say a strong word…maybe we need a captain who can actually motivate out there? Works for the Sharks.

Just a thought…but maybe a goal kicker who turns 4 into a 6 regularly… and a captain who can lead and motivate would help.

And, yeah, I know these are ‘revolutionary ideas’ that no one has ever heard of. At least at our club. But 6 is more than 4 …and a leader can actually lead.

last edited by ElleryHanley

Hate to bother him…but maybe The Pom could give us a clue as to why we have not tried to get a GK or if the club even thinks it is an issue.

Lomax aside, none of the players The Pom has linked us with for the past few years even kick goals. Do people at the club see it as not an issue?

It is beyond belief that a person can practice kicking goals for the last 12 months and not improve. I don’t care if it’s a couple of hours 1 day a week or 3 days a week, you have to get better

last edited by member850

@ElleryHanley said in A goal kicker...and a captain...:

Made this post last year…and the year(s) before that…

But does it not ever cross anyone at the club’s mind that going up by 6 would help? Tons of outside backs kick goals…and we have a poor back line. It is not like we have not had spots to fill. Manly got themselves a goal kicking winger as soon as Dessie arrived. 12-0 last night and it is a different game. They were park footy kicks.

I know ours occasionally nail a goal line kick, but we miss so many easy shots. Pot shots. And we never look confident kicking. It is not that hard…no other team in the history of the game has gone half a decade without a regular kicker. None. Yet we have not prioritised it. Almost incomprehensible.

Actually, make that completely incomprehensible.

While I am at it…has it also ever crossed anyone at the club’s mind that, when we are struggling and heads are down behind the posts…that a captain who could rev them all up might help? Having vets who stare into space after tries and do not say a strong word…maybe we need a captain who can actually motivate out there? Works for the Sharks.

Just a thought…but maybe a goal kicker who turns 4 into a 6 regularly… and a captain who can lead and motivate would help.

And, yeah, I know these are ‘revolutionary ideas’ that no one has ever heard of. At least at our club. But 6 is more than 4 …and a leader can actually lead.

You’re in top form Ellery, even if the club isn’t. I agree. Sort these things and I think we’d make the 8 and have something to build on.

been telling my friends for a while that masters cost us so many games with his kicking and finally madge took him off i thought madge is aware of the problem.

I don’t understand at all how we haven’t had a good goal kicker in years. I played social grade footy last year and even our goal kicker was better than anyone we’ve trot out since Pat Richards.

Even Mitchell Moses was garbage when he was here. We have had Jason Taylor, Richards and Brett Hodgson - all fantastic goal kickers in their days - through this club at some point. And yet still not a single goal kicker. You’d have thought we would’ve produced at least one or two guns with those three in your ranks.

last edited by Kazoo Kid

@Kazoo-Kid said in A goal kicker...and a captain...:

I don’t understand at all how we haven’t had a good goal kicker in years. I played social grade footy last year and even our goal kicker was better than anyone we’ve trot out since Pat Richards.

Even Mitchell Moses was garbage when he was here. We have had Jason Taylor, Richards and Brett Hodgson - all fantastic goal kickers in their days - through this club at some point. And yet still not a single goal kicker.

Benji’s still got it but doesn’t want the gig

Might seem trivial to some, but I agree it’s a real issue. If a game is on the line/hard fought, you’re just not going to win most of these going up by 4 at the rate we do.

Been an issue for years. For whatever reason it’s not happened, you’re not going to target someone purely because they can kick goals if they’re no good elsewhere and we just haven’t managed to sign one. It’s a bit ridiculous that it’s been so long since we’ve had a good one though. The club has tried to teach plenty of guys to get better at it and it hasn’t worked. Boggles the mind really

@JoshColeman99 said in A goal kicker...and a captain...:

Been an issue for years. For whatever reason it’s not happened, you’re not going to target someone purely because they can kick goals if they’re no good elsewhere and we just haven’t managed to sign one. It’s a bit ridiculous that it’s been so long since we’ve had a good one though. The club has tried to teach plenty of guys to get better at it and it hasn’t worked. Boggles the mind really

Ross Conlon says hello

It’s hard to understand why we now seem to think we can get by with low percentage part time goal kickers. Wests and Balmain always had good, and in some cases great kickers. Jason Taylor (Magpies) was a good reliable kicker and Balmain had one of the best of all time, old Golden Boots, Keith Barnes. Brett Hodgson our 05 fullback could kick a few too. We just cannot afford to go on as we are. We have to find someone who can do the job, maybe from Super League.

they teach mbye how to kick. but he doesnt care. they should put effort into teaching a rookie to kick

@Tiger_Steve said in A goal kicker...and a captain...:

Ross Conlon says hello

Remember the place kicks to find touch !
All on a mound of sand as well .

@benjic said in A goal kicker...and a captain...:

they teach mbye how to kick. but he doesnt care. they should put effort into teaching a rookie to kick

Who’s to say he doesn’t care? I’m sure he’s working on it, he just sucks at it some people just aren’t goal kickers

@benjic said in A goal kicker...and a captain...:

Who’s to say he doesn’t care? I’m sure he’s working on it, he just sucks at it some people just aren’t goal kickers

It’s true he doesn’t care
When he misses the grimace on his face is fake .
He needs to be offloaded ASAP

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme