The moves to make

This is just my opinion from the stands. Firstly we need to move on MBye, Packer & Reynolds. If we can pay 1/2 their salary at another club that’s 1.2 mill we save.

It’s the end for Lawrence, Benji, McQueen, Smith, Taylor and Jennings.

Re-sign the rest.

Hopefully Smith plays on and Harry can play again for us in 2021.

Of the players left there isn’t any massive game breakers but Connor Watson (5/8 or 9) Christian Welch (Prop) Alex Johnstone (Wing/FB) Adam Elliott (lock) and Tyrone May (1/2-5/8) would be my choices, you could also chase Bailey Sirro to come back.

You have speed and creativity with Johnstone, Watson and May, Hard tough defenders and ball runners in Elliott and Welch, plus Welchs experience with winning with Storm and Origin with Qld

Other possibilities , Ikuvalu, Caleb Aiken, Tamou, Nico Hynes, Tom Starling, Farnworth, de Belin (If not in jail)

You wouldn’t pay above 600k for any of those players.

last edited by Wimpy's Well

@Big-Tooled-Tiger said in The moves to make:

This is just my opinion from the stands. Firstly we need to move on MBye, Packer & Reynolds. If we can pay 1/2 their salary at another club that’s 1.2 mill we save.

It’s the end for Lawrence, Benji, McQueen, Smith, Taylor and Jennings.

Re-sign the rest.

Hopefully Smith plays on and Harry can play again for us in 2021.

Of the players left there isn’t any massive game breakers but Connor Watson (5/8 or 9) Christian Welch (Prop) Alex Johnstone (Wing/FB) Adam Elliott (lock) and Tyrone May (1/2-5/8) would be my choices, you could also chase Bailey Sirro to come back.

You have speed and creativity with Johnstone, Watson and May, Hard tough defenders and ball runners in Elliott and Welch, plus Welchs experience with winning with Storm and Origin with Qld

Other possibilities , Ikuvalu, Caleb Aiken, Tamou, Nico Hynes, Tom Starling, Farnworth, de Belin (If not in jail)

You wouldn’t pay above 600k for any of those players.

I wouldnt pay $1 for any of those players. When you sign also rans like that, there is an opportunity cost for someone good, either a purchase or developed player.

IMO we can no longer put up with these sort of players

Which one is an also ran, three try Johnstone, Origin prop Welch ?? So your genius idea is to stick with the same 30. Yep that’ll get us in the 8.
Here’s the list:
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2020/

last edited by Wimpy's Well

Just posted on another thread

Zero tackle lists Ferris for the sharks as off contract. 1st game last week, but he looked good and surely the sharks can’t keep them all.

I would be happy to move Mbye on, Reynolds would be dependent on getting a replacement (would move Benji first) and I will reserve judgment on Packer until the end of the season

Other than that there is not a lot there, and not sure it is accurate. I would look at Jordan McLean, Welch, Sam Stone, or Elliot.

Tass had big wraps on him, but the fact that he can’t get a game for the dogs is a worrying sign.

O’Sullivan is a young half with ability.

I never thought I would suggest someone as old, but Soliola would add a hard head to the forwards.

Unless other clubs are moving contracted players on, there is not a lot there.

@Harvey said in The moves to make:

Just posted on another thread

Zero tackle lists Ferris for the sharks as off contract. 1st game last week, but he looked good and surely the sharks can’t keep them all.

I would be happy to move Mbye on, Reynolds would be dependent on getting a replacement (would move Benji first) and I will reserve judgment on Packer until the end of the season

Other than that there is not a lot there, and not sure it is accurate. I would look at Jordan McLean, Welch, Sam Stone, or Elliot.

Tass had big wraps on him, but the fact that he can’t get a game for the dogs is a worrying sign.

O’Sullivan is a young half with ability.

I never thought I would suggest someone as old, but Soliola would add a hard head to the forwards.

Unless other clubs are moving contracted players on, there is not a lot there.

There’s really isn’t much as you’ve mentioned. For an accurate list: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/2020-signings-tracker-nrl-rosters-signings--contracts-for-all-16-teams/

Need a spine player with premiership credentials

The moves to make are internal for now. Lack of patience is what has continued this stretch of mediocrity.

Players to sign for next season. Eisenhuth and Sam McIntyre. Release everyone else 8 players including Jennings, ET, Marshall, Lawrence, Seyfarth, McQueen, Smith, Clarke.

Subsidise and release Reynolds, Packer, Mbye.

New signings:
Brandon Smith, Stefano Utoikamanu, Momirovksi, Josh Addo Carr, Dean Blore, Bailey Sironen.

Players to sign before November 1st off contract end of 2021: Josh Aloai, Shawn Blore, Kane Bradley, Zac Cini, Jock Madden, Mikalele, Nofa.

Go into the market big in 2022. It’s the only way.

Jackson Ford from the dragons would be a player to consider

Personally, this is how I’d approach it…

Kieran Foran on a 2 year deal - 2nd year in our favour valued at 450-500k a year - unfortunately no better options out there yet Foran would be our best half if he was to sign

Once his contract is finished, I would aggressively target Kyle Flanagan for the 2022 season as he’s almost guaranteed to not be offered a contract due to Sam Walker’s emergence - Brooks to eventually learn from Foran (great footy brain) and slowly develop into a running 5/8 with Kyle at halfback

With forwards, I think we lack a real leader and Dylan Napa seems to be having a very solid season (can talk to him in November) - him and Packer would enforce some real experience and aggression to our young pack names like Alioia, Mikalae, Blore, Luciano, Twal, Stefano and Musgrove all playing off the back of that would blossom imo

In terms of our backline, everyone’s saying AJ… I like him but I’d much prefer the fox whom is very gettable - as much as I love the Huth I struggle to find a spot for him and he would be an incredible bargaining tool to join Melbourne I’d offer Huth and Momo for JAC in return as we have various forwards whom can take his spot

I think there’s a strong chance we either end up with one of Brandon Smith or Harry Grant - Madge being the NZ coach would play a huge role in us getting Smith if he wanted out which is said to be the case if he’s not the 9 next year

I like Doueihi, don’t get me wrong as a fullback he has some good traits such as good under the high back and his passing game is very strong however I like him as a centre - I think we need to aggressively hunt for Albert Hopoate whom is off contract end of this year and won’t get a start over turbo… the kids a real talent and could be anything

Overtime, Mbye and Reynolds to depart with Packer expected to get a pay cut - we then go hard in the market for the 2022 and 2023 seasons

We should let all of those players see out their contracts. In my opinion. Let’s cop the mistake as a club and end the deals honourably. Ideally this would look good on us as a club. Also, there aren’t that many good players on the market for 2021 due to COVID-19 making most players value security over dollars.

last edited by Kazoo Kid

@teddy23 said in The moves to make:

Personally, this is how I’d approach it…

Kieran Foran on a 2 year deal - 2nd year in our favour valued at 450-500k a year - unfortunately no better options out there yet Foran would be our best half if he was to sign

Once his contract is finished, I would aggressively target Kyle Flanagan for the 2022 season as he’s almost guaranteed to not be offered a contract due to Sam Walker’s emergence - Brooks to eventually learn from Foran (great footy brain) and slowly develop into a running 5/8 with Kyle at halfback

With forwards, I think we lack a real leader and Dylan Napa seems to be having a very solid season (can talk to him in November) - him and Packer would enforce some real experience and aggression to our young pack names like Alioia, Mikalae, Blore, Luciano, Twal, Stefano and Musgrove all playing off the back of that would blossom imo

In terms of our backline, everyone’s saying AJ… I like him but I’d much prefer the fox whom is very gettable - as much as I love the Huth I struggle to find a spot for him and he would be an incredible bargaining tool to join Melbourne I’d offer Huth and Momo for JAC in return as we have various forwards whom can take his spot

I think there’s a strong chance we either end up with one of Brandon Smith or Harry Grant - Madge being the NZ coach would play a huge role in us getting Smith if he wanted out which is said to be the case if he’s not the 9 next year

I like Doueihi, don’t get me wrong as a fullback he has some good traits such as good under the high back and his passing game is very strong however I like him as a centre - I think we need to aggressively hunt for Albert Hopoate whom is off contract end of this year and won’t get a start over turbo… the kids a real talent and could be anything

Overtime, Mbye and Reynolds to depart with Packer expected to get a pay cut - we then go hard in the market for the 2022 and 2023 seasons

The problem with Doueihi is we have paid a decent amount of money for him with long term plans for him to be a face of the club.
If he develops more speed off the mark, he is a fullback everyday.

One thing I am surprised about Doueihi is his height. He just about towers over everyone bar Eisenhuth.
I’m not sure he was always that tall. I was thinking 6’1 but he is close to 6’4. For mine his had a big growth spurt and that could be the reason for his speed or lack thereof.
My own brother at 6’5 wasn’t quick all through his teens, early twenties until about his mid twenties when he finally stopped growing and his muscles caught up.
Wishful thinking maybe.

I would consider fox and Aj, move Aj fullback talau centre fox wing or Albert hotplate. Move on douehi. Douehi is too soft and scared to put his body on the line. I could be wrong and he might be still to young but douehi just don’t excite me when I watch the tigers. Hes actually pretty depressing watching him return the ball for 5 metres. Get some tough poms in for a couple of seasons that just go a 100 miles an hour and play with so much pride for forwards. If Bird wasn’t so injury prone I would’ve looked at him in the five eight. He does have some skills. Let’s stop being a retirement club for old men. Walters give him a real good chance too in the halves. We can say all this but reality is our boys are either hot or cold. Just somethings

@tigers4lyfe said in The moves to make:

I would consider fox and Aj, move Aj fullback talau centre fox wing or Albert hotplate. Move on douehi. Douehi is too soft and scared to put his body on the line. I could be wrong and he might be still to young but douehi just don’t excite me when I watch the tigers. Hes actually pretty depressing watching him return the ball for 5 metres. Get some tough poms in for a couple of seasons that just go a 100 miles an hour and play with so much pride for forwards. If Bird wasn’t so injury prone I would’ve looked at him in the five eight. He does have some skills. Let’s stop being a retirement club for old men. Walters give him a real good chance too in the halves. We can say all this but reality is our boys are either hot or cold. Just somethings

One thing about Albert Hotplate is he always brings the heat.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme