Wariors Sign Phil Gould

New Zealand Warriors confirm Nathan Brown and Phil Gould signings

James McKern
@jLmcKern

AUGUST 8, 20201:20PM

Phil Gould is now a Warrior. He’s one of the biggest names and personalities in the league and now he’s just put pen to paper on a new deal with an NRL team.

The New Zealand Warriors have officially confirmed the appointment of a new head coach along with a blockbuster consultant signing.

News throughout the week pointed to Nathan Brown earning the top role and on Saturday the Warriors made it official.

The former Newcastle and St George Illawarra coach will take over the reins of the club in 2021 after putting pen to paper on a three-year deal.

The Warriors also announced the blockbuster signing of NRL guru Phil Gould in the role of a consultant. Gould has won premierships and State of Origin series as a coach, worked in club administration and is a longtime Channel 9 commentator who is well respected for his vast knowledge of the game.

Gould will work alongside Brown in strategic areas to help build the Warriors’ profile in Australia, Warriors CEO Cameron George said.

Long time coming the Warriors making this kind of off field signing, They were never going to get anywhere signing coaches like Kearney. Then they offered the job to Payten 🤦 Lucky for them he said no. They just might finally start tapping into their potential.

The Warriors need someone who can manage the talent in NZ. They let way too many good players slip through their grasp, while keeping guys who aren’t quite up to it. Obivously you can’t fit a whole country of talent into a squad of 30, but if they get it right, they could be a powerhouse.

@happy_tiger said in Wariors Sign Phil Gould:

Where now for Madge ??

What’s Madge got to do with it? He will be here building us into a Roosters/Storm like dynasty 😂

@Spud_Murphy said in Wariors Sign Phil Gould:

Where now for Madge ??

What’s Madge got to do with it? He will be here building us into a Roosters/Storm like dynasty 😂

I’m sure he will still remain NZ coach.

Everyone knows he wants out …get with the program

Where now for Madge ??

I dunno …
I reckon the plodders and nuffies could see him out 😂

@hobbo1 said in Wariors Sign Phil Gould:

Where now for Madge ??

Cowboys

Probably …do you think the players performances will show their indifference to what is happening

Where now for Madge ??

I dunno …
I reckon the plodders and nuffies could see him out 😂

The Plodders united …will never be defeated lol

Where now for Madge ??

Cowboys

Probably …do you think the players performances will show their indifference to what is happening

Pretty much

That must Phil Gould for the warriors fans…

ill show myself out

I don’t see this working out for the warriors. Neither Brown nor Gould will help them. Brown has failed everywhere he’s gone and Gould is an eccentric fool. They’ll be in the same position in a few years time.

@GNR4LIFE said in Wariors Sign Phil Gould:

Long time coming the Warriors making this kind of off field signing, They were never going to get anywhere signing coaches like Kearney. Then they offered the job to Payten 🤦 Lucky for them he said no. They just might finally start tapping into their potential.

I dont believe that this is the case at all (not suggesting that you are lying GNR). For a month or so on Triple M there has been a running in joke with Browny that he had signed at a club. IMO Payten was never in the running at the Warriors because they already had Brown lined up and either Payten knew it or the club gave him the word and its a face saving thing to be able to pre-emptively say I never really wanted the job. No way that they were considering or offered the job to Payten, he rejects it and three days later they arrange and announce a Gould/Brown superpact.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme