Madge vs JT vs Potter vs Cleary

Are we really any better off with Madge. Let me say, this isn’t a call to sack the guy, because what better option would be available to us. However, is he really taking us to heights that we failed to reach with the previous 3? Because from where I am sitting, the results are the same.

It has to be said, that for 18 months we’ve been waxing on how much of an upgrade Madge was over Cleary. When you see how the Panthers are going, was it really. Again, not saying Madge is hopeless, but he’s not doing anything that the 3 others didn’t do. Potter and JT had no salary cap to work with yet got the same results, yet didn’t have that excuse. Madge has signed something like 22-23 players out of 30, and he needs time. It makes no sense.

C’mon, we all know Madge is better than Cleary. If they swapped squads and facilities, we would be battling it out for the spoon.

Our squad shows how bad Cleary was at managing the cap.

I think if Cleary stayed with us it would have been the preferred option. Hard to say that but it’s true. I was excited when he joined us. First coach that excited me since Sheen’s.

Can’t compare.

Madge is here for the right reasons.

Cleary was here with other things in mind and when it was clear they were going to eventuate, he dogged it like the dog he is.

@PabloX said in Madge vs JT vs Potter vs Cleary:

C’mon, we all know Madge is better than Cleary. If they swapped squads and facilities, we would be battling it out for the spoon.

Our squad shows how bad Cleary was at managing the cap.

Well that’s true, but one could argue he didn’t really care cos he was jus biding his time to get back to the foot of the mountains.

I’d take Potter’s and JT’s roster over this current roster everyday of the week. Woods Tapau Teddy Austin Simona Moses JAC Sirro Farah - nucleus of really good side. Cleary and Maguire better coaches with a poorer squad.

We’ve already proven that changing coaches isn’t the answer

And yes Madge may have been responsible for the signing and re signing of most of our current squad but he has to sign someone to make up the numbers doesn’t he

We have to have a certain amount of players at certain times during the year

He obviously can’t get stars to come to the club that’s why he is stuck signing players he obviously doesn’t want

That’s why we have no choice but to allow him the time to bring through these youngsters and other established quality players as we slowly start to gain cap space after the end of contracts like Mbye and JR and McQueen and so on

Of course the results are the same as previous coaches with this squad

It’s why the Bellamy Bennett Robinson’s of this world won’t touch this club because the job to fix it is too Damn hard

At least Madge is highly motivated to give it a shot so let’s Damn support the coach for once hey instead of riding him into the ground

Not sure how many times I’ve said that but you can’t expect instant results. Our cap is screwed, no finals in 9 years, our roster is big average and no big name players want to be here.

What Madge is going takes time and unfortunately as a consequence we will struggle on the field for a while longer. It’s a lot better than Cleary who screwed up our entire salary cap and we could barely score a point under him.

Gotta wait until the rebuild is complete to judge the coach fully

As for Ivan I actually think he learned from his mistakes with us and has made some astute signings at Penrith and given youth a chance which he never did here. They will probably win the premiership, I wish we had a juniors system like theirs

@Telltails said in Madge vs JT vs Potter vs Cleary:

I’d take Potter’s and JT’s roster over this current roster everyday of the week. Woods Tapau Teddy Austin Simona Moses JAC Sirro Farah - nucleus of really good side. Cleary and Maguire better coaches with a poorer squad.

There’s a downside to that argument. Why do they have poorer squads when they actually had/have a salary cap to work with?

@JoshColeman99 said in Madge vs JT vs Potter vs Cleary:

Not sure how many times I’ve said that but you can’t expect instant results. Our cap is screwed, no finals in 9 years, our roster is big average and no big name players want to be here.

What Madge is going takes time and unfortunately as a consequence we will struggle on the field for a while longer. It’s a lot better than Cleary who screwed up our entire salary cap and we could barely score a point under him.

What do you mean by instant? 9 years since finals? almost
2 full seasons of Maguire in charge? Some get jack of being told to be patient. I remember I was told to be patient in 2014. I even remember the night. We’d been rolled by Manly at Brookie. Things were going to be great in a year or two. They weren’t. So what reason do I have to believe it now? Cos Madge hasn’t had a hand in signing 6 or 7 players to round out his squad? That’s going to finally make those calls for patience a reality. Really?

Last night highlights the mammoth task ahead of both Madge and Hartigan. It’s not just about shuffling the deck chairs to form a competitive roster, they have to change the attitude of those in the front office.
They have got to change this entire club from the inside out and in doing so overcome almost a decade of bad behaviours, bad decisions, low standards, mentally weak performances and our acceptance that making up the numbers is good enough.
As much as we would like it, the task the club has given them is not a quick fix.
Compounding the issue is that for the moment it has to be done with number of people that aren’t going to help with that change and who are on rubbish contracts.
Remember when Pascoe and Go told us we would have to suck it up for 3 years while they fixed the salary cap? They didn’t learn a thing in the front office during that time.

last edited by BalmainJnr

Only good thing he’s doing is bringing juniors back he is a mess with the squad

@GNR4LIFE said in Madge vs JT vs Potter vs Cleary:

2 full seasons of Maguire in charge? Some get jack of being told to be patient. I remember I was told to be patient in 2014. I even remember the night. We’d been rolled by Manly at Brookie. Things were going to be great in a year or two. They weren’t. So what reason do I have to believe it now? Cos Madge hasn’t had a hand in signing 6 or 7 players to round out his squad? That’s going to finally make those calls for patience a reality. Really?

I’m afraid being patient is our only option

I hate it just like you do

But changing coaches will just keep us in an endless cycle of pain

@GNR4LIFE said in Madge vs JT vs Potter vs Cleary:

9 years since we’ve made finals, but Madge has only been here 18 months. I know it’s hard to stay patient after 9 years but you have to think about it like we started over just a season And a half ago

If you look at the bigger picture Madge is setting us up to go good in the future and slowly building his squad. Gonna suck until that’s completed but that’s the only way, unless you’d prefer the Cleary style of signing average players on huge contracts to try and go for an instant fix

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme