The Tragic Reason Behind Tiger's Stars Tears

The emotional footage of teammates consoling distraught Wests Tigers fullback Adam Doueihi shocked many - here’s the sad reason behind the star’s tears.

His tears were as much for his club as they were for his country.

While most rightly assumed a distressed Wests Tigers fullback Adam Doueihi’s post-game tears on Saturday night were due to last week’s tragic explosion in Beirut, he was also lamenting his own modest form and his side’s horrible performance against Newcastle.

Doueihi has Lebanese heritage — and has represented Lebanon in rugby league — but has no immediate family living in the country.

Having been handed the Wests Tigers’ fullback spot at the start of this season, Doueihi remains frustrated at his own form and that of his underachieving side, which has lost three successive matches.

And the emotion poured out after his team’s 44-4 loss to the Knights — television cameras capturing the vision of Doueihi in tears. Insiders claim Doueihi was “flat” at halftime and “upset” at fulltime.

“It bubbled over and came out, it was sad to see,” the source said. “He is disappointed and frustrated because Wests Tigers are better than how they’re performing. He has so much passion. And he only turned 22 years old last week, he’s still very young.”

Teammates, primarily Russell Packer, comforted Doueihi — who had the word Lebanon on his wrist tape — at fulltime.

“Adam is pretty passionate. He’s been a junior at Wests Tigers and he wants this club up where we all want it,” Tigers coach Michael Maguire said. “He showed a bit of passion around what the game means to him, and I can assure you that every player in that change room feels the same.”

Former premiership-winning hooker Michael Ennis said Doueihi was gutted at full time.

“Adam Doueihi is absolutely distraught,” Ennis said on Fox League.

“They’re concerning scenes. At halftime we got some shots, we couldn’t see his face but he was in deep discussions with Michael Maguire.

“We know he’s of Lebanese heritage and it’s been a really tough week with what’s gone on in Lebanon and it could possibly be that.”

Former Test and Queensland superstar Cooper Cronk also spoke passionately about Doueihi.

“It’s hard to talk over because you don’t know the pain and suffering that the young man is going through at the moment,” Cronk said.

“Our hearts are with him and we hope there are good times ahead for Doueihi, his family and the Lebanese community.”

Interesting they called it “tragic reason” but go on to say he has no family in Lebanon. Seems like it had more to do with the performance.

Our performance was tragic…🤬

AD form has not been good. He needs a rest orna position change

i for one love it. Not that he was upset but the passion that is there and the pride he has in his own performance

I’m a Madge advocate but could this possibly be a sign that some are not able to cope with the level of intensity he brings to training/preparation. Are they having any fun?
If this is the case is the coach too tough or the players too soft?
Or this may not even be the issue - I’m just throwing out a possible scenario.

Admire the passion but they’d be less tears if he played 5/8

I like Adam Doueihi as a player. He does a lot of really good things. However, he makes a lot of errors defensively as a fullback which NRL standard fullbacks do not make. I think a lot of the errors come from his lack of speed. He is letting in 1-2 tries per game that most other fullback, besides Darry B, would prevent. E.g. he was in a position to stop the first try to Ponga.

He has a lot to offer and is definitely worth his pay packet. Hopefully we will get the most out of him. Perhaps a positional switch could be considered. Either that, or we need to make him faster somehow. Anyone got Bronson Xerri’s no.?

@Tiger_Steve said in The Tragic Reason Behind Tiger's Stars Tears:

I’m a Madge advocate but could this possibly be a sign that some are not able to cope with the level of intensity he brings to training/preparation. Are they having any fun?

Maybe the team needs to get on the cans and have a laugh .
There’s no point if you don’t enjoy your job !

@hobbo1 said in The Tragic Reason Behind Tiger's Stars Tears:

Old style! I agree. Was watching the team before kickoff getting final instructions. They were not focussed, os so it seemed. Need to enjoy each other’s company then get serious about playing for each other.

Old style! I agree. Was watching the team before kickoff getting final instructions. They were not focussed, os so it seemed. Need to enjoy each other’s company then get serious about playing for each other.

It’s a pretty simple game tbh
Players at NRL shouldn’t really need a coach they need a manager …They’ve been playing the game since 7 years of age …
What can a new coach bring into the fold that the 2 or 3 previous coaches brought in ?
Imo it’s all about bonding the team as a unit …
Getting screamed at and being flogged weekly at training will only get you so far as our last 2 game’s have shown …

It’s a pretty simple game tbh
Players at NRL shouldn’t really need a coach they need a manager …They’ve been playing the game since 7 years of age …
What can a new coach bring into the fold that the 2 or 3 previous coaches brought in ?
Imo it’s all about bonding the team as a unit …
Getting screamed at and being flogged weekly at training will only get you so far as our last 2 game’s have shown …

I must admit I was pretty concerned when I heard last Monday’s session was an absolute flogging.

22 year old who’s barely played here cares more about winning and losing than majority of our players. I’m sure covid and the Lebanon tragedy added to his tears but for me it’s good to know he cares. Wish everyone else cared that much

@JoshColeman99 said in The Tragic Reason Behind Tiger's Stars Tears:

22 year old who’s barely played here cares more about winning and losing than majority of our players. I’m sure covid and the Lebanon tragedy added to his tears but for me it’s good to know he cares. Wish everyone else cared that much

Well said Josh.

This is not a joke but I just read the article shared on the WTF (quoting Lee Hagipantelis) and am now genuinely concerned for the mental welfare of our players - and what precautionary measures the club takes - as I honestly don’t want them to be carrying the weight of any heavy burden. And especially due to any past failures of this club.
We’ve invested in some youth and they truly don’t deserve that.
Like some have suggested t, despite the competitive nature there still needs to be some enjoyment taken out of the game, for the players.

@Lauren said in The Tragic Reason Behind Tiger's Stars Tears:

@JoshColeman99 said in The Tragic Reason Behind Tiger's Stars Tears:

Well said Josh.

This is not a joke but I just read the article shared on the WTF (quoting Lee Hagipantelis) and am now genuinely concerned for the mental welfare of our players - and what precautionary measures the club takes - as I honestly don’t want them to be carrying the weight of any heavy burden. And especially due to any past failures of this club.
We’ve invested in some youth and they truly don’t deserve that.
Like some have suggested t, despite the competitive nature there still needs to be some enjoyment taken out of the game, for the players.

They’re a lot happier if they’re winning. Hard to enjoy a 44-4 loss. Doueihi always seems very hard on himself even when we win, just one of those guys which isn’t a bad thing as long as our other players support him. Was good to see Packer first there trying to look after him

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme