Jacob Liddle

Grant gone.
Walters gone.
Looks like Liddle’s time is here again!

Australian 07/08
Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle is on the verge of a return
Liddle has been to hell and he is almost back.
Next week, there is every chance he will be named in the Tigers team to take on Canterbury at Bankwest Stadium, heralding a 12-month journey to overcome a devastating knee injury. Before that, it was a pair of shoulder ­surgeries. All told, his battered body has cost him the best part of three years.
He has drawn strength from a number of sources, among them Marshall and Lawrence, who overcame their own injury issues to forge memorable careers.
Marshall struggled with shoulder problems for years. while Lawrence’s face caved in when he collided with a teammate at training, the damage so confronting Marshall this week suggested he thought his teammate could die. Both have overcome insurmountable hurdles to touch greatness and Liddle has been inspired.
“A few boys around the club have been great,” he said. “Boys like Chris Lawrence — playing his 250th game this week — he has been through hell. He has been alongside me. I have talked to him about how he got through it. Boys like Benji, having seven shoulder surgeries. All those boys have been through it.
“It is good to have them at training. They went through just as bad, worse even.”
Liddle tries not to think too deeply about what is ahead. He catches himself sometimes as he ponders the thought of pulling on a Tigers jersey and running out before the club’s faithful.
That day is fast approaching, his cause inadvertently given a helping hand when Harry Grant suffered a knee problem that will sideline him for a month.
“He is a great kid,” said Liddle, who at 23 is only a year older than Grant. “He has been good to have around the club. He has been killing it. I have been watching his game and try to pick up things when I can, like I do with other hookers like Cameron Smith.”
“We do some extras after training sometimes. He has been good to have around.”
That said, Liddle’s availability comes at an opportune time for the club. Grant was setting the competition alight and while Moses Mbye will wear the No 9 jersey this weekend, Liddle is­ ­expected to play a role of some sort in coming weeks.
“You face these challenges and the world works in funny ways,” he said. “What you have been given you have to live with, overcome it and hopefully I am a stronger player because of it.
“The game we play is a full-contact sport. Injuries happen.
“But I will get through it.”
His attitude is testament to the work he has put in on the mental side of the game. His mind has been exercised as much as his body in his absence. A tome about the All Blacks has resonated more than any other. Asked what struck him, he said: “Training every day with a positive mindset and giving 100 per cent.”
He has had support from a tight-knit family and girlfriend Caitlin. “All I want to do is play the season,” he said. “I still love the sport. I want to play until I am 35. That is the dream.”

I can’t express how much I want to see this kid succeed 🌝
Hope he kills it.

You can only admire this kid, hope he has a long career, he deserves it.

I really want him to kill it. He’s so talented and to work through so much injury and still work hard towards getting back on the field shows the mental fortitude and determination he’s got - something Madge would love.

If he can stay fit and injury free it solves a big issue for us for next season

Deserves some good luck for a change… Lots and lots of good luck

Shoulder, shoulder, cracked sternum and then devastating multiple ligament tears. The poor guy has had so much ability, yet has spent most of his career in rehab or getting match conditioning.

Let us all hope that like Marshall, Lawrence and Tedesco before him, Jacob can get some much deserved uninterrupted time on the field to show his wares and fulfil some of his potential.

Yup, really wish Lids the best. He has shown glimpses of what he can become, and I really believe he can go far if he can string together a number of games.

I’d start with Brooks and give Liddle around 25-30 minutes for the next 3 weeks at least

If we aren’t in semi finals contention and Grant is only going to be fit for the last 3 weeks play Grant at lock …much like McInnes plays for the Saints …especially if we know that Grant is going back to Melbourne

Don’t see Liddle playing more than 25-30 mins a game. Has only been doing full training a few weeks.

Your journey has been inspiring to us all Jake.

Good luck as you continue to strengthen your body for the rigors ahead.

Would love nothing more than to see you injury free for the rest of your career.

@Russell said in Jacob Liddle:

Would love nothing more than to see you injury free for the rest of your career.

Lovely words Russell. Can you post something similar for Robert Jennings? I believe he’s available for selection this week following his nasty hamstring injury.

@avocadoontoast said in Jacob Liddle:

@Russell said in Jacob Liddle:

Lovely words Russell. Can you post something similar for Robert Jennings? I believe he’s available for selection this week following his nasty hamstring injury.

Dear Robert Jennings

Your Journey Back from Injury has been a thing of amazement. In saying that i now wish you the very best in playing your new position on the left… LEFT RIGHT OUT

Hopefully something positive will come out out of all the setbacks this poor young bloke has endured… for one, his mileage is low and at his age now, his body hopefully is more ready for the rigours of an nrl #9
Goodluck Liddle!

@tiger_one said in Jacob Liddle:

I want to play until I am 35. That is the dream.”

Liddle re-signs till 2032…

You could do with some luck…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme