Salary Cap

With the news that the Wests Tigers are off loading Mybe now whom is on $950k per season it shows that when we look at the 30 players on any teams roster there seems to be contributions from other clubs.
I am wondering are the Top teams like the Rorters more successful because they are not paying over the odds for players not performing at another club.
An example of this will be Mybe if the Titans pick him up for $450k it will means for the next 2 seasons we will be paying $500k (Overall $1 Million) for a player playing at another club.

Should’nt this be part of the cap disclosure?
Do we have any current players that we are paying to play somewhere else?

Who knows what the Rotters are paying players, it’s all contained in large brown paper bags

It’s in our cap not the titans

Roosters don’t pay overs for reserve grade players and get good players for unders “because they want to play for the roosters…”

That’s the biggest difference outside the golf games, dental connections and investment advice

@the_third said in Salary Cap:

Roosters don’t pay overs for reserve grade players and get good players for unders “because they want to play for the roosters…”

That’s the biggest difference outside the golf games, dental connections and investment advice

don’t forget the fact that everything is paid for by the godfather.

@jrtiger said in Salary Cap:

don’t forget the fact that everything is paid for by the godfather.

Ahh the magic cash office. Yes forgot that one.

The only luck WT’S have had in this department was with Todd Payten Rorters were contributing to his salary for a couple of years when he played with us.

@Elderslie_Tiger said in Salary Cap:

The only luck WT’S have had in this department was with Todd Payten Rorters were contributing to his salary for a couple of years when he played with us.

I’ll just be happy when we have the right people on the right contracts.

I thought we had a couple recently we picked up that were partially paid for by other clubs. Someone will recall better than me though

Roosters players are just very good at golf and luckily Uncle Nick is not good, but loves golf and funny enough betting on holes…against players…who he gets on the cheap…officially.

It comes down to management. We signed Mbye, Reynolds, Packer, Matulino to save face for management on way overs after losing Teddy, Moses, Woods. No lessons were learned from the Humphrey’s back ended deals which crippled us. When younger players come good or bargain players ie Taupau, Addo Carr, Korobiete, Brown and others come good we have no money left to upgrade and they leave.

We got out of the mess last year because of two players. Benji and Robbie playing for peanuts and arguably better than any of the higher paid recruits.

We have to be patient and build slowly and management has to stay out of the way of Madge and Hartigan who are proving to be more astute in valuing players but also playing a longer game with youngsters.

BJ is a good example subsidised for this year but is in a 3 year deal and 28. He has talent and Madge is backing himself to get it out of him. I’d it goes wrong by the end of next year it’s only 1 year to cop. Douihei similar subsidised for two years but a solid deal 4 years and he’s young.

We all know Tigers have to pay overs but slowly that will change with a competitive team, COE and kids coming through.

I have faith in Madge and Hartigan turning our cap around. they’re getting the big deals off our cap as best as they can and we’ll see a heap of re-signings at the end of the year similar to what we saw last year with the likes of Garner and Talau.

I think we’re in a similar situation to what Penrith were a couple years ago, where they were doing all they could do get their star players off their books. they invested in youth and grabbed players in crucial positions like Soward and Wallace and had enough depth in the squad to make a preliminary final. we just need to free up some space and source good players in key positions and begin the production line of up and comers to continually plug gaps left by players who chase big dollars.

I still think we’re at least another 12 months off turning the corner in that regard, but this was never going to be a cheap fix, as that cat Cleary found out much to his dismay.

@TYGA said in Salary Cap:

It comes down to management. We signed Mbye, Reynolds, Packer, Matulino to save face for management on way overs after losing Teddy, Moses, Woods. No lessons were learned from the Humphrey’s back ended deals which crippled us. When younger players come good or bargain players ie Taupau, Addo Carr, Korobiete, Brown and others come good we have no money left to upgrade and they leave.

We got out of the mess last year because of two players. Benji and Robbie playing for peanuts and arguably better than any of the higher paid recruits.

We have to be patient and build slowly and management has to stay out of the way of Madge and Hartigan who are proving to be more astute in valuing players but also playing a longer game with youngsters.

BJ is a good example subsidised for this year but is in a 3 year deal and 28. He has talent and Madge is backing himself to get it out of him. I’d it goes wrong by the end of next year it’s only 1 year to cop. Douihei similar subsidised for two years but a solid deal 4 years and he’s young.

We all know Tigers have to pay overs but slowly that will change with a competitive team, COE and kids coming through.

Well my question is Doueghi is on $600k as per Zero tackle, is that his contract price and there is a subsidy involved with Souths?
I know he was on $500k at Souths, do we know how much we are chipping in.
$600k is overs as far as i am concerned as well but the Roosters were chasing him, he is a local Junior, is passionate about the club, but think playing out of position currently, good 5/8 prospect if performs warranted that $.

We are still paying Bryce Gibbs and Ryan O’Hara

The roosters may be cheating the cap but to give them credit they would spend $950k on Tedesco not Mybe. Brown paper bag jokes are just an excuse to bad decisions. I really wonder if our club feels like its fans an makes excuses for decisions that hold us back.

@kiwitiger said in Salary Cap:

The roosters may be cheating the cap but to give them credit they would spend $950k on Tedesco not Mybe. Brown paper bag jokes are just an excuse to bad decisions. I really wonder if our club feels like its fans an makes excuses for decisions that hold us back.

Is always the last blokes fault.

In case anyone wanted to read the Salary Cap article. Thanks Reddit.

Wests Tigers will have just $300,000 to spend next year should the club fail in a bid to offload one of four highly paid players that are in the firing line.

In a revelation which exposes the true and shocking state of the salary cap inherited by Michael Maguire, the Tigers will only be able to add two minimum wage players to their struggling squad unless they can free up cap cash by releasing either Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks, Russell Packer or Moses Mbye.

News Corp can reveal the Tigers are just $300,000 away from reaching next year’s $9.9 million salary and still have three spots on their 30-man roster to fill.

With the Tigers set to start next season without a significant signing, Mbye this week joined Reynolds, Brooks and Packer when he was added to the Tigers’ fire sale.

Signed on an $815,000 a year-deal, Mbye has already been linked to the Gold Coast in a move that would, at the very least, give the Tigers enough cash to fill their NRL squad.

The Tigers would have to offload at least one more big-money player before even thinking about signing a marquee.

Reynolds ($850,000), Packer ($750,000) and Brooks ($600,000) are the three other players on the unofficial ‘let-go’ list.

While the quartet haven’t been formally shopped to rival clubs or told to look for a new deal, the Tigers will not stop the players from talking to rival clubs, nor stand in their way should they be able to strike a deal.

Locked in a desperate fight to make the eight after a crushing loss to Newcastle on Saturday night, the Tigers are facing the prospect of starting next season with what could be a weaker 30-man squad than what they have this year.

Set to send loan sensation Harry Grant back to Melbourne, the Tigers have signed Shawn Blore (Panthers), Asu Kepaoa (Roosters) and Stefano Utoikamanu (Eels) for next year.

The club will likely lose veterans Benji Marshall and Chris Lawrence to retirement.

With Blore and Kepaoa already at the club, the remaining positions will be filled by development players.

Beginning his three-year reign as Tigers coach last year, Maguire inherited a salary cap mess with players including Chris McQueen, Ben Matulino, Elijah Taylor, Packer, Reynolds and Mbye all signed to significant long-term deals.

Maguire has been restricted to making only a handful of signings with Robert Jennings, Adam Doueihi, Billy Waters, Zane Musgrave and Joey and Luciano Leilua the only other players he has recruited to the club.

Despite the salary cap restrictions, Maguire has managed to improve the Tigers in 11 of the 12 key on-field areas since joining the club.

While often credited for their defence, statistics also reveal the Tigers are scoring more points, making more run metres, making more tackle busts and making more linebreaks under Maguire.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme