Madge and the bench...

I think this needs to be examined…

We have started decently first 20 in the vast majority of games, but dropped off noticeably whenever the starting props leave the field. We have completely stopped running after big leads on several occasions and not shown any ability to wrestle the momentum back.

His bench use has been absolutely terrible for a long while now. Regardless of the context or momentum or who is on the bench…it is the exact same rotations.

Props swap.

16th man utility gets a stint regardless of whether they are needed or have the skills for the position.

17th man sits there and watches most of the game.

I am in the Madge camp, but it seems a rather clear failing and one he never gets asked to explain.

Said earlier in the week that bench was absolute trash… stand by that.
I’m a Madge fan but that bench blows my everloving mind…

Unfortunately there’s not much to choose from.

Leaving Blore our was baffling, but all the rest of the guys you can pick all offer about the same.

No impact in attack at all and we get noticeably weaker when our starters come off.

Clark, McQueen, Lawrence, Taylor, Seyfarth and MCK don’t offer much.

Missing Twal, Musgrove and Mikaele. No matter who you chose, the bench was going to suck.

@ElleryHanley said in Madge and the bench...:

We have started decently first 20 in the vast majority of games, but dropped off noticeably whenever the starting props leave the field. We have completely stopped running after big leads on several occasions and not shown any ability to wrestle the momentum back.

His bench use has been absolutely terrible for a long while now. Regardless of the context or momentum or who is on the bench…it is the exact same rotations.

Props swap.

16th man utility gets a stint regardless of whether they are needed or have the skills for the position.

I am in the Madge camp, but it seems a rather clear failing and one he never gets asked to explain.

Agree totally. Makeup and use of Madge’s bench is totally out of balance. We should be running out with 2 props on the bench every week. It’s always just the one. This week we had NONE

@dazza65 said in Madge and the bench...:

Said earlier in the week that bench was absolute trash… stand by that.
I’m a Madge fan but that bench blows my everloving mind…

I am not so much talking about today’s bench…I know we had injuries.

More that it has been the exact same all year. The rotations, barring in game injury, literally never change.

So many games this year we have lost momentum and…nothing done to try and change it.

Props swap.

Well considering 2 rookies in Seyfarth and McIntyre along with Eisenhuth were our middles in that 40-50 min period. I think the acquisition of Taylor in place of Lawrence was a very sound call by Madge.
Reynolds with the over chasing with one Marker in play…
Cupboard is pretty bare at the moment but I don’t see a problem with the time our rotations occur.

@Needaname said in Madge and the bench...:

Props swap.

Well considering 2 rookies in Seyfarth and McIntyre along with Eisenhuth were our middles in that 40-50 min period. I think the acquisition of Taylor in place of Lawrence was a very sound call by Madge.
Cupboard is pretty bare at the moment but I don’t see a problem with the time our rotations occur.

As mentioned above, I am not referring so much to today…more the entire season. There is never a replacement made to try and alter the course of a game when momentum swings.

last edited by ElleryHanley

Props swap.

As mentioned above, I am not referring so much to today…more the entire season. There is never a replacement made to try and alter the course of a game.

Not much else you can do with a prop rotation. Aloiai and Reynolds both had impact when they came on. We just don’t have impact props to come off the bench, they’re all defenders who can’t bend the line.

Blore should’ve been there though

I understand some coaches subscribe to this philosophy BTW…Paul Green replaced Jason Tamulolo at the exact time almost for a year. Regardless of score or momentum, JT was off and not coming back on until the exact time predetermined.

So, there is likely some sort of reason behind it.

Props swap.

As mentioned above, I am not referring so much to today…more the entire season. There is never a replacement made to try and alter the course of a game.

Fair call. Last year that extra spot that we’ve used for Walters, Reynolds, Brooks was Chee Kam.
However last year we had an 80min seasoned hooker. Walters, Grant and Liddle this week are all young and build up match fitness.
He was more of an X factor but I think we are too concerned with covering for fitness / injuries this year.

Any idea how many minutes for Liddle and did Eisunhuth play the full 80?

@JoshColeman99 said in Madge and the bench...:

Props swap.

Not much else you can do with a prop rotation. Aloiai and Reynolds both had impact when they came on. We just don’t have impact props to come off the bench, they’re all defenders who can’t bend the line.

Yes, I know today…but it has been this way all season.

The 17th man spot has basically been wasted all year.

Props swap.

Yes, I know today…but it has been this way all season.

The 17th man spot has basically been wasted all year.

He often tries to bring them on close to the end of the game to have impact against tired forwards. Sometimes it’s worked and sometimes it’s failed.

Props swap.

I understand our better props, Twal and Musgrave, are injured!
I would still have Clark in front of Taylor and Sayforth.

Props swap.

Fair call. Last year that extra spot that we’ve used for Walters, Reynolds, Brooks was Chee Kam.
However last year we had an 80min seasoned hooker. Walters, Grant and Liddle this week are all young and build up match fitness.
He was more of an X factor but I think we are too concerned with covering for fitness / injuries this year.

Any idea how many minutes for Liddle and did Eisunhuth play the full 80?

Liddle being an important factor for mine, whilst he was playing well, once the dogs broke through for their second try, they had lifted and gaining momentum. I reckon that it is moments such as that which @ElleryHanley is alluding to.

That was a pivotal point, one that screamed out for an uplifting change that an energetic player can provide, so with a seemingly obvious plan to give Jacob a mid game rest already in place, moving it forward also looked to be the best use of the interchange. Very similar to the Warriors match with Brooks and Walters in my view.

His benches are Sheens level ridiculous.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme