Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?

Brooks 2019 = 16 try assists.

Brooks 2020 = 1.

One…

Brooks running meters are down by 30 a game also.

These stats are not a ‘decline’, they are falling off a cliff level down.

This level of change in stats simply does not happen to a player in their 20s. It is unbelievable how far he has dropped off.

Joey Johns said pre resumption that the new rules would suit Brooks more than anyone. I also felt the same, as did many others.

Stats don’t lie, he has been terrible. Running in a circle until caught in possession and a kick on the last is about all he has. I have never seen a half decline this much statistically in 12 months.

So, what exactly has gone wrong?

Not enough threads on the subject…

No idea what happened. No reason he should be playing this bad, it’s not like much has changed from last season.

Seems slower which takes away alot of what he offers.

Here’s a clue.
Put him in any of the current NRL top six teams … and you would want him back.

@Geo said in Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?:

Agreed he has had too many, but they have been emotional or reactionary ones. ‘Brooks is rubbish!’ ‘Brooks is not a half’ etc. Ultimately we learn nothing.

I would like to just analyse the stats and work out why.

Assists 16
Down to 1.

Running meters down 30.

Those stats represent a stunning decline.

Is it confidence? Madge’s game plan? An injury we don’t know about? Does not gel with the nines? He is being overcalled by others? There has to be some sort of explanation?

@momo_amp_medo said in Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?:

Here’s a clue.
Put him in any of the current NRL top six teams … and you would want him back.

I’d be happy to take that risk at this point.

last edited by avocadoontoast

I still maintain Brooks biggest issue he doesn’t take the line on at full speed enough …I reckon he got close one time last night and almost scored

If he is carrying an injury (as I suspect ) that explains it

If not …play him the next 5 weeks with Madden and force him to be the leader

The other coincidence from last year is not having Lawrence run those great crash lines (yeah OK his handling kills us ) …but it helps hold/plant defenders and gives Brooks the chance to get on the defender outside and exploit numbers

@ElleryHanley said in Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?:

Agreed he has had too many, but they have been emotional or reactionary ones. ‘Brooks is rubbish!’ ‘Brooks is not a half’ etc. Ultimately we learn nothing.

Assists 16
Down to 1.

Running meters down 30.

Is it confidence? Madge’s game plan? An injury we don’t know about? Does not gel with the nines? He is being overcalled by others? There has to be some sort of explanation?

OK…but last night it was Brooks who dug in the line and got a quick play the ball for Liddle to score…then a pass out to Benji with width to throw a cut out to Nofoaluma …so there are involvements in points we are scoring…it’s ignored.

Even happy said last night he busted his arse trying

@JoshColeman99 said in Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?:

No idea what happened. No reason he should be playing this bad, it’s not like much has changed from last season.

That is the thing…not a lot has changed.

Sometimes a player loses it big time between 31 and 33, and their stats rapidly decline…

…but never like this in their 20s.

@Telltails said in Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?:

Seems slower which takes away alot of what he offers.

He does seem a bit slower, yes. That may be a factor.

Also seems a bit heavier?

Is there an injury we don’t know about?

@JoshColeman99 said in Brooks: What exactly has gone wrong?:

That is the thing…not a lot has changed.

Sometimes a player loses it big time between 31 and 33, and their stats rapidly decline…

…but never like this in their 20s.

Something must’ve happened. Maybe to do with the coaches maybe in his personal life but from the outside it just looks like he’s lost it for no reason

My guess is that it is a combination of performance pressure and a drop in confidence. It appears to me that Brooks does not handle pressure very well and this year Maguire is making it very clear that he has certain performance expectations. The pressure has affected his confidence and performance.
Add to this the talk that he is in charge of the team but effectively Marshall is being treated as the team leader. My impression is that he has doesn’t have a particularly strong ego, so I can’t imagine that Benji taking charge does much for his confidence in leading his team mates.
Just my two cents

Assists 16
Down to 1.

Running meters down 30.

OK…but last night it was Brooks who dug in the line and got a quick play the ball for Liddle to score…then a pass out to Benji with width to throw a cut out to Nofoaluma …so there are involvements in points we are scoring…it’s ignored.

He def tries, no one can say he does not. He also genuinely loves the club, seems happy enough…but something has gone wrong. The statistical decline is dramatic.

Assists 16
Down to 1.

Running meters down 30.

I think he’s trying as hard as he can but for whatever reason he’s lost it. Change of club would do both him and WT good.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme