Chairman’s comments

Cleary all good and the club has the best roster in years and they are constantly improving 😂😂😂. The best one is Maguire has full support of the board well there goes Madge !
Brydens advertising WINNING IS THE ONLY OPTION …pity this guy does not practice what he practice!

last edited by Snake

Where did he make the comments?

All over the Tele this morning! Less said is a good idea at times with the mood of the supporter base at present especially in regards to the grub Cleary!

Wests Tigers chairman opens up on salary cap pain Ivan Cleary left behind

Ivan Cleary left Wests with big name salary cap gambles before heading back to the Panthers, and while fans may hold a grudge, the Tigers’ boss has a message for the Penrith coach ahead of their grudge match.
While the blood of Wests Tigers fans would still be boiling, chairman Lee Hagipantelis says he has no resentment towards Ivan Cleary for the salary cap pain that remains two years after Cleary jumped off the bus.

Ahead of Saturday’s grudge match against Cleary’s table-topping Penrith Panthers, Hagipantelis said: “No, not at all. I don’t hold any resentment towards anyone.”

The Tigers boss also backed Benji Marshall to make up his own mind if he should retire or play on next season, while declaring “the board has absolute faith and confidence in Madge Maguire”.
It was two years ago this month that Cleary came up with his now infamous “misinformation” defence, when publicly declaring his intention to see out his Tigers contract that would have only expired this year.

But while Cleary backed a winner by hotfooting it to Penrith and taking over a roster that is overflowing with talent, the Tigers look certain to miss the finals for the ninth straight season.

To make matters worse, they continue to be burdened by Cleary’s big money gambles that included Russell Packer, Moses Mbye, Josh Reynolds, Chris McQueen and Elijah Taylor.

Hagipantelis had no doubt those decisions would have been made with the club’s best interests.

“But it is a situation that is there that needs to be reviewed and corrected, and we are in the course of doing that,” he added.
“But these things do not happen overnight. You do not review and change a roster in a year.

“People have contracts, they have expectations and they are entitled to expect them to be fulfilled unless you can come to some agreement.”
Hagipantelis also responded to some stinging criticism from rugby league Immortals Andrew Johns and Mal Meninga following the first half debacle against the Roosters.

In a match where the Tigers were fighting for their season’s survival, they capitulated against an understrength opposition.

Johns labelled the first half defence “pathetic”, and said it resembled “under 10s” and a team playing with “no soul”.

Meninga also told Fox League “there’s no real effort”.

Hagipantelis responded: “Someone like Andrew Johns and Mal Meninga have got an enormous amount of credibility in the game and I respect their opinion.

“We have not achieved the level of success that we demand of ourselves, let alone what our fans and members demand.

“People are perfectly entitled to be critical of that. I know Andrew Johns. I have met Mal once or twice. I respect their views and they are entitled to express them.

“And if we don’t perform well and we don’t achieve the standards we set for ourselves we are entitled to be kicked in the butt. Publicly and privately.

“I stood there on Saturday night. I spoke to a number of board members at Leichhardt and I just shook and said, ‘Gentlemen, this is not good enough … there are 3,500 people out here at Leichhardt who are going to go home with their head down and despondent. We have an obligation to these people to provide to them a product of which they can be proud’.”

There has been rumblings for some time that certain players are fed up with Maguire’s hard-edge discipline.

Maguire still has next season to run on his existing contract.
“At the end of this year everyone is planning to sit down and discuss Madge’s expectations and ours,” Hagipantelis said.

“As I have said publicly, the board has absolute faith and confidence in Madge Maguire, and he shares our vision moving forward.

“And that is what he said, he wants to return this club to premiership success.

“If you look at us objectively at the moment, and there is no point sugarcoating it, we are a long way from that.

“We have all got a lot of work to do and we have to ask ourselves a lot of questions.”

There is also the question if Benji should play on after he produced another mixed bag against the Roosters.
“From my understanding there has been no formal discussions with Benji as to his intentions as yet,” Hagipantelis said.

“Look, Benji is an iconic figure within the Wests Tigers and he will make the right decision. I am certain of it.”

Hagipantelis said as tough as it has been on the fans they need to understand it is not an easy fix, which he has learned first-hand in his first season as chairman.

“So much goes on inside a club that you can’t publicly disclose. But I can’t assure everyone it is not a simple task,” he added.

“It is all about the wins and losses. That is how we are going to be judged.

“But if you look roster I am absolutely convinced it is a better roster than what we had last year, and a better roster than we had the year before.

“But it is constantly improving.”

We have some (hopefully) good young kids, but they’re all marked as potential. Although our roster may be a slightly better roster than last year*, it still is significantly below the pack. And that’s Ivan’s fault.

Why don’t the Tigers hierarchy come out and rip into Ivan? it won’t gain much, but what’s there to lose?

last edited by JD Tiger

I’ve heard all that before. Year after year

@JD-Tiger said in Chairman’s comments:

We have some (hopefully) good young kids, but they’re all marked as potential. Although our roster may be a slightly better roster than last year*, it still is significantly below the pack. And that’s Ivan’s fault.

Why don’t the Tigers hierarchy come out and rip into Ivan? it won’t gain much, but what’s there to lose?

If they rip into Ivan the media will then ask some uncomfortable questions about the CEO and the board sitting idly by while it all happened. At the moment the spotlight isn’t on them and they wouldn’t like that to change.

I think it would be wise if the club just shut the hell up this week before we play a team sitting comfortably on top of the ladder. Whether positive or negative in vibe, we should be putting our heads down and offer nothing to the media that will make us look stupid.

@gallagher said in Chairman’s comments:

If they rip into Ivan the media will then ask some uncomfortable questions about the CEO and the board sitting idly by while it all happened. At the moment the spotlight isn’t on them and they wouldn’t like that to change.

That’s a good point. I don’t think I’ve heard about our Board changing (to my limited knowledge) since someone in there back-stabbed Marina Go. So our Board could still be questionable.

My God …I’ve read better interviews from Seibold

@Tcat said in Chairman’s comments:

I think it would be wise if the club just shut the hell up this week before we play a team sitting comfortably on top of the ladder. Whether positive or negative in vibe, we should be putting our heads down and offer nothing to the media that will make us look stupid.

Agreed, bringing this all up again only shows that we are still not over it two years on, still lamenting what Ivan did to us. This is exactly the reason that we haven’t moved on, imo. This club loves living in the past, whether good (2005) or bad (regurgitated stories about Cleary, JT & Farah, losing the big 3 blah, blah). Over it, every team has its scars, let’s just concentrate on playing football like a professional team.

@gallagher said in Chairman’s comments:

That’s a good point. I don’t think I’ve heard about our Board changing (to my limited knowledge) since someone in there back-stabbed Marina Go. So our Board could still be questionable.

It was 2 board members who stabbed her in the back.Those 2 need to be removed along with the player cleanout however unlike the players you dont know which 2 it is.

What else do you really want him to say.

We all hate Ivan and deservedly so.

@Spartan117 said in Chairman’s comments:

What else do you really want him to say.

We all hate Ivan and deservedly so.

Unless you despise Iv your not even trying 117

Drop the politics, we dropped the ball again.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme