Sterling backs crack down on contracted players

Rugby league legend Peter Sterling has backed the NRL to crack down on clubs trying to poach contracted players on more money while they are still signed to another club.

Recent reports suggest the NRL is looking at banning the practice of clubs offering more money to players to change allegiances mid-contract.

Josh Addo-Carr is the latest high-profile name expected to be granted a release by the Melbourne Storm at the end of the season on compassionate grounds, however he has also expressed his desire to make a lucrative switch to fullback at his new club.

This brought leading NRL analyst Phil Gould to speculate that managers are behind players like Addo-Carr and Valentine Holmes pushing for moves into positions - like fullback - that demand big-money contracts.

Gould has been critical of that trend, with Sterling adding weight to the argument against it. “I think it is blight on our game,” "Josh Addo-Carr has made it clear in the last couple of weeks that he’d like to play fullback elsewhere, possibly at one stage was coming back to Sydney for family reasons.

"We’re also learning that part of that may be motivated by earning a lot more money playing in that new position, and I would like to see the NRL come in.
“We’ve seen it with other players, leaving when they believe that their value is more than what they’re getting.”

Sterling said there needs to be greater accountability by both players and clubs that they stick to the contracts they sign, and end the off-field negotiation games.

“Don’t sign the contract. When it comes to contracts it works both ways - for a club, don’t sign a player for a length of time for that amount of money unless you expect them to honour it for that amount of time and that amount of money, and if you’re a player don’t put your name down if you’re not happy with the money,” he said. "Not just rugby league, but the world would be a better place if contracts were honoured and they were worth the paper they were written on.

"In an ideal world, we just want everybody to honour the commitment that they’ve made. I think fans would certainly appreciate that. “It would make things clearer in the game. I’m a fan of it.”

Anyone else see the irony here?

Sterling in the past would have made a great NRL. Great football brain. Media career has been lucrative and more job security

This uproar should’ve come after the Matterson saga, because that one is the worst example IMO. All within a season.

@Moh said in Sterling backs crack down on contracted players:

This uproar should’ve come after the Matterson saga, because that one is the worst example IMO. All within a season.

That and Cleary. The NRL are blind to reality until it is completely out of control and becomes a PR disaster.

PVL is a master of spin and media manipulation. He has managed to progress racing on the basis of government regulations (such as corporate bookie tax) and gambling turnover. He will soon be found out running the NRL.

Can anyone see how this might disadvantage us and benefit the better clubs?

Say JAC wants to leave Melbourne on compassionate grounds and he must play for the same money…

Roosters can swoop in and offer him a potential premiership playing in a team of superstars and they only need to pay him his contract value (what’s he on? $300K now?).

It literally strips away a lesser clubs advantage in these scenarios doesn’t it? Maybe I’ve missed something.

@weststigers said in Sterling backs crack down on contracted players:

Can anyone see how this might disadvantage us and benefit the better clubs?

Say JAC wants to leave Melbourne on compassionate grounds and he must play for the same money…

Roosters can swoop in and offer him a potential premiership playing in a team of superstars and they only need to pay him his contract value (what’s he on? $300K now?).

It literally strips away a lesser clubs advantage in these scenarios doesn’t it? Maybe I’ve missed something.

There has to be other advantages associated with running a successful club. I mean other than victory on the paddock.
I don’t begrudge the chooks for attracting talent based on their ability for on field success. It’s the unregistered third party deals , the brown paper bags economy I don’t like.

@Tiger_Steve said in Sterling backs crack down on contracted players:

Joke isn’t it - wonder if he had a go at his ex club when they poached matterson.

@diedpretty said in Sterling backs crack down on contracted players:

Joke isn’t it - wonder if he had a go at his ex club when they poached matterson.

The Matterson situation is surely the driver behind this, but they’re trying to suggest it’s because of JAC lol. I’m glad we can see through that - don’t know about the rest of the League community though, who will probably now remember us as the last club to ‘take advantage’ of the old rules.

My issue is, that it’s two way everyone is jumping on the players for playing games with contracts but clubs do much worse and no one says anything . If clubs had to keep players and not able to move players on the comp would be more even .
Look at Penrith they should have been made to keep DWZ, RCG, Maloney , Blake . They should not be allowed to shop those players around or send to England . They made their bed signing big money contracts for many years to ensure they could sign them in first place . They should have to remain on roster and not allowed to move clubs or be removed from salary cap . If this happened the riff squad would look different to now and some of the players they got with release of those players would have played elsewhere and allowed perennial under achievers to sign quality players . The fact that clubs can pay big money long term deals and ship off players before expiry distorts the markets and that only advantages the top clubs or those with massive tpas available

Absolute joke. NRL has had 4 coaches sacked this year already with Seibold probably about to become number 5. We even had a coach recently who wasn’t sacked, but stolen by another club.

Is the NRL going to address that, or wait until it happens again to a high-profile club?

@diedpretty said in Sterling backs crack down on contracted players:

Of all the pundits going around I wouldn’t call Sterlo unfair or uneven. He criticised Parra, and frankly in recent years they haven’t needed much criticism, they’ve been able to scold themselves with their performances.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme