Tigers tell Maguire they’re ‘walking on eggshells’

Tigers tell Michael Maguire they’re ‘walking on eggshells’ in ‘really heated’ meeting

August 31, 2020 7:51pm
ZAC RAYSON
Source: FOX SPORTS

Michael Maguire’s tendency to chop and change his line-ups has his Wests Tigers players ‘walking on eggshells’, he was reportedly told by the playing squad today.

Fox League expert Michael Hooper revealed details of a players meeting in which the squad told Maguire his brutal axe-swinging approach is ‘not working’, with the 11th-place Tigers set to miss finals once again.

Hooper told NRL360: “Apparently there was a really heated team meeting at Concord today where Michael Maguire, the way he likes to do business was being very direct and blunt.

“I think a couple of the players said: ‘Madge, it’s not working. The way we’re doing things is not working.’

“He said: ‘what’s not working, what’s the issue?’

“They all said: ‘We’re walking on eggshells. Everybody’s scared that if you put in one bad performance, you’ll be dropped.’

“We’ve seen so many players axed of the course of the season.

“They ended up having words. Madge has gone around the whole side and they all said: ‘yes, I agree, that’s how I’m feeling’.

“As a result, I don’t know what the Tigers team will look tomorrow (when team lists are announced for the weekend). But I’m predicting – knowing how Madge has done business this year – he’ll probably make some more changes.”

The Tigers appear headed for a major roster rebuild in the off-season, with veteran Benji Marshall all-but-certain to be pushed out of the club.

And Hooper doubled down on his Tuesday claim that halfback Luke Brooks should follow him out the door.

He said: “The big one at the Tigers that is on the chopping block at the moment is Luke Brooks.

“He’s had seven seasons as the primary playmaker at that club. He’s played 145 NRL matches and he holds the record for the most number of games without finals experience.”

Brooks has struggled to create this season, posting 10 total try involvements from 14 games.

In contrast, Nathan Cleary, Shaun Johnson and Benji Marshall have 35, 32 and 23 respectively.

But Brooks is just one of many underwhelming figures at the club this season – and Paul Kent believes it’s symptomatic of a greater issue in the game.

Kent told NRL360: “Clubs aren’t putting enough into their own development. Some clubs I know have a handicap in that area, but they’re not spending enough on player development.

“Who is leading the comp this year? Penrith (who) have spent more money on developing players than any club in the NRL.

“How many of them are local juniors who have come through the grades?”

“(The) Tigers have had trouble for years with their salary cap, they’ve still got trouble. There’s not enough players being properly educated.”

After back to back losses, the Tigers face the Sea Eagles on Saturday.

With one eye firmly on 2021, Maguire could be chopping and changing his team once again.

Bring out the popcorn. Should be a fun week

Can’t wait for the team selections tomorrow.

Players trying to tell the coach how to coach. Boot the lot of them!

If you don’t want to be dropped then play good

No one has been dropped for one bad performance. Madge has given every guy a chance to turn their form around and those who didn’t got dropped - and it’s not like they’ve been dropped unfairly

Hope the board has some stones otherwise we won’t see finals for another 10 years if they sack the coach now

1 bad performance - most of them have put in years of poor performance

@willow said in Tigers tell Maguire they’re ‘walking on eggshells’:

“They all said: ‘We’re walking on eggshells. Everybody’s scared that if you put in one bad performance, you’ll be dropped.’

I hate to tell the precious little darlings but no player has been dropped on “one bad performance” in fact there are a few who are still in the team who have yet to put in a good performance

I’m with Madge all the way!
I couldn’t care less if he needed to sack the lot. I just cannot tolerate players who drag their heels and mope around. It’s just a a pitiful attempt to hide their inability to perform at nrl level.

Hope the captain supported the coach. “What do you mean, I have put in 15 crap performances and I am still in the side”.

The players do have a point, there has been not rhyme or reason to who is being dropped each week, and who is coming back.

A bit of dejavu here. Farah was blamed for causing unrest with JT - yet recall him saying that he spoke to JT after Brooks and Moses asked him to speak to him because they didnt like the way they were being coached. Spelled the end of Farah’s relationship with the coach, and both of them being turfed.

last edited by Telltails

EXACT same thing happened at Souths with the majority of their team.

Not saying Madge is wrong, but I have long felt this approach ONLY works if you win.

Bellamy, Ferguson and Belichick…this approach works as they win.

Every other coach, in all codes, has failed eventually with this approach when they have not won.

@Harvey said in Tigers tell Maguire they’re ‘walking on eggshells’:

Hope the captain supported the coach. “What do you mean, I have put in 15 crap performances and I am still in the side”.

The players do have a point, there has been not rhyme or reason to who is being dropped each week, and who is coming back.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Said it before and I will say it again. If we were a consistent finals team, I could almost forgive players complaining about a coaching style.

But when we have made 3 finals appearances in 20 years - not a single player at this club has any right to even open their mouth. Take your mediocracy and safe mentality to another club because our club has been an absolute joke because of these players. Jog on and lets bring in actual professional athletes.

What also made me laugh is when they asked for lighter training and Madge did it, then they played their worst game of the season against Newcastle.

Dunno why they think they’re coaches when they couldn’t even get that right

Good to see Fox Sports can’t even get the name of their own employee right.
Seriously though, if true, the root cause of our problems (besides talent level) have been laid bare.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme