Sheens Answer to Blowout scores

MASTER COACH URGES KICK-OFF RETHINK
Seven of the eight games last weekend finished with blow-out scores and the trend for runaway wins in the post-COVID NRL has officials very concerned.

But former Kangaroos and premiership-winning coach Tim Sheens has a simple solution that will fix the problem.

“Just make the team that scores kick off,” Sheens told Wide World of Sports.

"In most major sports, the team that concedes points gets next use of the ball - except league.

"The game is so fast now that if a team scores and gets the ball back, they often get on a roll and the defending team can’t stop it.

“Giving them next crack in attack would go a long way towards fixing that.”

Yes - I think it is a good idea and one fans have talked about for sometime

@Telltails said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

Seven of the eight games last weekend finished with blow-out scores and the trend for runaway wins in the post-COVID NRL has officials very concerned.

But former Kangaroos and premiership-winning coach Tim Sheens has a simple solution that will fix the problem.

"In most major sports, the team that concedes points gets next use of the ball - except league.

"The game is so fast now that if a team scores and gets the ball back, they often get on a roll and the defending team can’t stop it.

The game is more about field position. If you want even more one sided score lines then by all means let the team that scores kick off.

last edited by mike

I’ve been saying this for years to my mates
Great minds think alike !
🧠

@mike said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

@Telltails said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

The game is more about field position. If you want even more one sided score lines then by all means let the team that scores kick off.

Maybe - but continual defending is mentallly and physically tiring - teams that are scoring points won’t get into a position of total domination of possession and wearing the opposition down. Gives teams an opportunity to use the ball well from the kick off and maitain an equal share of possession.

I’d also like to see the defending team regain possession when the ball is held up in goal as it used to be …

The current system where a player is held up but gets to have another shot from 10 out is a deadset farce …

@hobbo1 said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

🧠

Whatever hobbo

Your just looking for attention

@tiger05premier said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

🧠

Whatever hobbo

Nah …

Why the butthurt ?

@tiger05premier said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

🧠

Whatever hobbo

Nah …

Why the butthurt ?

Just the usual banter mate

Your one of the few that enjoy it

I need to do some thinking about it but is there a scenario that in a close game with a few minutes left, team A scores and with one minute left Team B gets the ball after the restart and then score and win the game.

I guess if you are 1 point up and there is say 3-4 minutes left are you (as the attacking team) better off controlling the ball and going for a restart over a try? probably overthinking it. I agree with whatever Sheen’s says.

Didn’t they try this back when Wok Ryan was coaching?? Not sure it will stop blow outs, but certainly worth giving it a go. The lack of elite players and how they are spread is the no1 problem.

I’d also like to see the defending team regain possession when the ball is held up in goal as it used to be …

The current system where a player is held up but gets to have another shot from 10 out is a deadset farce …

No, it’s fine how it is. Why should you get another tackle for being brought down 1 inch short of the line, but lose possession for being 1 inch over and above the line?

The result will be players holding attackers up in the air, gang-tackling and dragging them into the in-goal with 4 sets of arms over the football, like they do with sidelines and kick chases.

Tim Sheens is always a top league thinker.

Yeah, but since when has the NRL cared about being fair or even?

@jirskyr said in Sheens Answer to Blowout scores:

No, it’s fine how it is. Why should you get another tackle for being brought down 1 inch short of the line, but lose possession for being 1 inch over and above the line?

The result will be players holding attackers up in the air, gang-tackling and dragging them into the in-goal with 4 sets of arms over the football, like they do with sidelines and kick chases.

I’ll say it slooooowwwwly

Because it doesn’t reward the defensive side !

Seems you’re against the grain on this one …

The game’s been butchered and bastardised enough …

It’s just not footy !

Just say Kikau goes over 3 times on one set and is held up 3 times where is the reward for the defensive side ?

last edited by hobbo1

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme