Benji Marshall

I have said for 2 years we need to get rid of him, he is holding us back, other teams obviously thought the same

Marshall still has value, he’s a great attacking player and better than most halves in the game at creating chances. He’s slowed down and can be a liability defensively, but a club will definitely pick him up this season if he doesn’t retire. Also, everyone’s carrying on like he expected a big contract and heaps of interest, but from everything he’s said I think he knows he’s at the end of his career and won’t command big dollars and is just looking for an opportunity. My sense of it is that he isn’t even necessarily looking to start but is happy just being a squad player. So all this talk about he should retire because no one rates him as highly as he does misses the mark a bit. I think he’d just like to leave the game a little better than the end of this year and I certainly hope he gets a chance. The only teams I don’t want to see him at are Parra and Penrith, couldn’t support him there.

Why are we ripping in to him when he’s not even on our team anymore?

I just don’t get the lack of respect for him. Sure, you may think he’s done but many of you seem to be relishing his situation when he’s one of the few players who absolutely loves playing for us and wanted to go again.

@watersider said in Benji Marshall:

Marshall still has value, he’s a great attacking player and better than most halves in the game at creating chances. He’s slowed down and can be a liability defensively, but a club will definitely pick him up this season if he doesn’t retire. Also, everyone’s carrying on like he expected a big contract and heaps of interest, but from everything he’s said I think he knows he’s at the end of his career and won’t command big dollars and is just looking for an opportunity. My sense of it is that he isn’t even necessarily looking to start but is happy just being a squad player. So all this talk about he should retire because no one rates him as highly as he does misses the mark a bit. I think he’d just like to leave the game a little better than the end of this year and I certainly hope he gets a chance. The only teams I don’t want to see him at are Parra and Penrith, couldn’t support him there.

I just don’t get the lack of respect for him. Sure, you may think he’s done but many of you seem to be relishing his situation when he’s one of the few players who absolutely loves playing for us and wanted to go again.

Benji had the chance to walk out of the game with the majority of fans saying thanks for the great memories. Money was never going to be a issue as the media and the Tigers would have paid him probably nearly as much as a good contract. He was absolutely crazy not to go down this path, now he is on a hiding to nothing. Although he is not the first player to get strangled by their ego

@supercoach said in Benji Marshall:

Benji had the chance to walk out of the game with the majority of fans saying thanks for the great memories. Money was never going to be a issue as the media and the Tigers would have paid him probably nearly as much as a good contract. He was absolutely crazy not to go down this path, now he is on a hiding to nothing. Although he is not the first player to get strangled by their ego

He just wants to keep playing, I can understand that. I miss playing all the time, I miss being in that team environment, I miss training, I miss that feeling after a win. Most people retire because they don’t enjoy the training anymore, Benji loves being around the team, being around the other players, it is all he has ever known.

I can understand the reluctance not leave that behind, I would give anything for one more season.

As a club we made the right call in deciding not to resign him for next season, I just don’t see the point in people constantly bagging him for finding it difficult to give the game away.

@cochise said in Benji Marshall:

He just wants to keep playing, I can understand that. I miss playing all the time, I miss being in that team environment, I miss training, I miss that feeling after a win. Most people retire because they don’t enjoy the training anymore, Benji loves being around the team, being around the other players, it is all he has ever known.

I can understand the reluctance not leave that behind, I would give anything for one more season.

As a club we made the right call in deciding not to resign him for next season, I just don’t see the point in people constantly bagging him for finding it difficult to give the game away.

I can see that point of view …I guess that has a lot to do with being injury free for so long after all the early problems …I bet if he or Smith had a major injury in the last 3 years that changes a lot

Should offer his services to Catalan - great lifestyle for him and missus - team up with Maloney which would be the best halves pairing in SL. 2 years then back to Oz for a job on the media

Don’t think people are laughing at Benji for not getting a contract more the media, we got torn apart by players rival fans and the media for letting Benji go and guess what, no one else wants him either. Seems like we made the right choice and he should’ve retired and gone out like the true legend he is.

@happy_tiger said in Benji Marshall:

I can see that point of view …I guess that has a lot to do with being injury free for so long after all the early problems …I bet if he or Smith had a major injury in the last 3 years that changes a lot

I stopped playing footy at 26 after doing my ACL, I regret all the time not playing again. I’m 42 now and wish I could play one more season so badly.

You are 100% right though, not having to go through the hard work of coming back from a major injury in a long long time probably keeps that desire to want to keep playing at the forefront.

@JoshColeman99 said in Benji Marshall:

Don’t think people are laughing at Benji for not getting a contract more the media, we got torn apart by players rival fans and the media for letting Benji go and guess what, no one else wants him either. Seems like we made the right choice and he should’ve retired and gone out like the true legend he is.

We made the right choice for us 100%, that doesn’t mean he should have to retire, no one else wanting him doesn’t take away that desire to play either. Too many people on here want to keep bagging the bloke even after he left, so what if he wants to keep playing, you are a long time retired.

I stopped playing footy at 26 after doing my ACL, I regret all the time not playing again. I’m 42 now and wish I could play one more season so badly.

You are 100% right though, not having to go through the hard work of coming back from a major injury in a long long time probably keeps that desire to want to keep playing at the forefront.

Got sick of rehab and thinking that I would find a magical cure to the injury issues and finding the speed again …eventually you have to think about a career …throw in 3 concussions in 4-5 weeks …wasn’t worth it

If I kept playing I would have thought I could still make it …and that wasn’t a healthy mind set

last edited by happy_tiger

We made the right choice for us 100%, that doesn’t mean he should have to retire, no one else wanting him doesn’t take away that desire to play either. Too many people on here want to keep bagging the bloke even after he left, so what if he wants to keep playing, you are a long time retired.

If he still has the itch then no one can stop him. Sometimes some people don’t know when to stop though. He’ll probably end up at bulldogs with his brother which would be nice for him. It’s not like he’s getting injured and copping knocks he’s just not playing that great doesn’t mean he has to retire. If doggies don’t take him he might not have a choice though

last edited by JC99

If he still has the itch then no one can stop him. Sometimes some people don’t know when to stop though. He’ll probably end up at bulldogs with his brother which would be nice for him. It’s not like he’s getting injured and copping knocks he’s just not playing that great doesn’t mean he has to retire. If doggies don’t take him he might not have a choice though

No he may not have a choice, I just don’t understand why that makes him the subject of ridicule everytime his name is mentioned. He played a massive part of getting us our only success we have ever had, he is no longer here, why can’t people remember the positives?

No he may not have a choice, I just don’t understand why that makes him the subject of ridicule everytime his name is mentioned. He played a massive part of getting us our only success we have ever had, he is no longer here, why can’t people remember the positives?

It’s just recency bias. Once he retires it’ll be nothing but love for Benji. Just gotta watch a few highlight reels and that 05 final to jog everyone’s memories 😂

It’s just recency bias. Once he retires it’ll be nothing but love for Benji. Just gotta watch a few highlight reels and that 05 final to jog everyone’s memories 😂

I watched the 05 Sharks game today, maybe that is why I’m sticking up for him atm. I had forgotten the flick he throws while falling to set up Pat Richards in that game.

Got sick of rehab and thinking that I would find a magical cure to the injury issues and finding the speed again …eventually you have to think about a career …throw in 3 concussions in 4-5 weeks …wasn’t worth it

If I kept playing I would have thought I could still make it …and that wasn’t a healthy mind set

I still think I should have made it lol I never had speed so never had that to lose lol.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme