Jock Madden

Now that Benji is done, a spot in the halves is up for grabs. What chance this kid gets first crack at half back in 2021 with Brooks at 6? I wouldn’t bank on Reynolds. Maguire is clearly treading water with him till his contract is up.

@GNR4LIFE said in Jock Madden:

Now that Benji is done, a spot in the halves is up for grabs. What chance this kid gets first crack at half back in 2021 with Brooks at 6? I wouldn’t bank on Reynolds. Maguire is clearly treading water with him till his contract is up.

Need 2 halves that’s the reality for success! But hey let’s just flog that dead horse …

Early in the year Reynolds and brooks were playing really well
Together until Reynolds I thought it was our best halfs paring all year

Jock is a great little organiser with a good step, short kicking game and kicks goals. He needs to practice this skill as he will become invaluable.

I think it’s inevitable that Madden will get his chance next year.

Are you sure a spots up for grabs? We have Brooks, Reynolds, Mbye, Walters, AD, Tommy even who can play.

last edited by Jay

@Jay said in Jock Madden:

Are you sure a spots up for grabs? We have Brooks, Reynolds, Mbye, Walters, AD, Tommy even who can play.

Let’s go through those options

Brooks - Odds on he’ll be there round 1, whether it’s in 6 or 7

Reynolds - The coach seems to have zero confidence in him.

Mbye - Should be an option in the halves, but Maguire seems to have amnesia when it comes to remembering he was a 5/8 and probably has played his best football in the halves.

AD - Is a genuine possibility, but I would not bet on him playing in any one position. He could end up anywhere. He’ll probably be still floating in the backline.

Walters - Lets be honest. He tries hard, but he’s not up to it. If Madden is going to be stuck behind him, then that isn’t saying much for the kid.

Tommy - Honestly don’t know about him as if I’ve never seen him play 5/8. But i think it highly unlikely he starts the year in the halves.

last edited by GNR4LIFE

I reckon Doueihi will be shifted to 6… if not for Benji’s Magical Mystery Tour farewell he would be there now…

Madden to actually get some development should Canterbury Cup return in 2021…

Whole pre season he should be groomed as our main playmaker imo

@Speed2burn said in Jock Madden:

I’d like to agree but we need options. What if he comes in and can’t tackle ? He should get an opportunity and then it’s up to him.

@Earl said in Jock Madden:

I’d like to agree but we need options. What if he comes in and can’t tackle ? He should get an opportunity and then it’s up to him.

He is a poor defender just like Benji however he has youth on his side and under the right coaching he could learn it same as Brooks has learnt to tackle

What have we got to lose? Miss out on the finals again? Preferably I’d like to chase an experienced halfback but there just isnt anything on the market

I’m not stating that we have options. I think we have to give him a go. The problem is that if he doesn’t have the talent he won’t help us out. We need to accept that lots of players will be given a chance and won’t take it.

I also think the coaching idea doesn’t make any sense. I’m sure if this forum put a team together under Bellany we wouldn’t win a game.

We have Reynolds,Brooks, Mbye and maybe Talau and Douiehi as well as Madden. Hopefully two of them prove themselves to be quality NRL halves. If not we just have to look to buy players to fill the roles. If those purchases are juniors or established stars it just depends on what is available and what represents good value for money.

I’ve only seem his highlights reel and he looked like an alright half, going from footage maybe not a star but could play NRL. Can someone who has watched him play full games please tell me about him so i can get more excited? =D I don’t know much about him. In any case sure, put him in the squad. Still think we need to shed more halves though.

He’s about Brooksies size when he first cam into grade. Will definitely need a backrower helping in defence.
But his kicking game is real crafty. Can organise and is well suited to the General type role rather than flashy playmaker.
More of a Cronk type player in the way he approaches the game.

Will need time to get his body right and adjust to the speed of 1st grade. Could be anything

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme