Record vs. Bottom 8 teams vs. Top 8

Interesting reading.

We have a 6-2 record vs. bottom 8 sides with losses to Gold Coast and NZ.

We have a 1-8 record vs. teams in the top 8 only having beaten Cronulla.

We end the season with three straight top 5 teams. Meaning we end up playing top 8 sides 12 times to 8 bottom 8 sides.

Sharks are 9-2 vs. Bottom 8 having lost to us and to Dragons. They are 0-6 vs top 8. They end the year with another bottom 8 game and 2 top 8 games. They’ll have played top 8 sides 8 times to 12 bottom 8 sides.

last edited by facepalmer

@facepalmer said in Record vs. Bottom 8 teams vs. Top 8:

Interesting reading.

We have a 6-2 record vs. bottom 8 sides with losses to Gold Coast and NZ.

We have a 1-8 record vs. teams in the top 8 only having beaten Cronulla.

We end the season with three straight top 5 teams. Meaning we end up playing top 8 sides 12 times to 8 bottom 8 sides.

Sharks are 9-2 vs. Bottom 8 having lost to us and to Dragons. They are 0-6 vs top 8.

Cronulla weren’t in the 8 when we beat them …they were 0-2

I am referring to the top 8 as it stands.

last edited by facepalmer

Basically I am making a very easy case that we’re a better team than them and got heavily dudded by the Covid draw lol.

Also of note, Souths have only beaten current top 8 sides twice this year, the Sharks and Parra. Their other 8 wins against bottom 8 sides.

I reckon we’ll beat them this week.

Interesting stats. Suggests the draw has quite a lot to do with standings. Lets see how both teams go in the next 3 rounds, but perspective is always a good thing.

We’ve had the hardest draw the last 2 years

We finally got some luck this year with what was rated the second easiest draw

Then COVID hit, they rearranged it and gave us the hardest draw

Yep, we’re cursed

@Rowdy12 said in Record vs. Bottom 8 teams vs. Top 8:

We’ve had the hardest draw the last 2 years

We finally got some luck this year with what was rated the second easiest draw

Then COVID hit, they rearranged it and gave us the hardest draw

Yep, we’re cursed

It’s a stitch up frankly. I see no rhyme or reason for the draw to have been so heavily modified.

But that said the top 6 are streets ahead of the pack. We’re much more close to Souths/Cronulla than we are to the rest at the bottom but the points don’t reflect that because of the dodgy draw.

The stats are slightly skewed though because if you’re in the top 8, you can only play 7 other top 8 teams, whereas teams outside play 8 top 8 teams.

It was similar with Brisbane last year, I’m pretty sure they only beat 1 top 8 team (sharks?) although more rounds obviously

This Cronulla team is possibly the worst finals bound team though…top 8 really does reward mediocrity

last edited by Speed2burn

We can whinge about draws forever but until there is a proper home and away system it will never be fair. This can only be done by a conference system, a longer season or reduced number of teams. The NRL keeps ranting on about the fairest competition in the world - what a joke - and yet no one in the media ever calls them out.

Can I ask though , what was our split ratio prior to Covid ? Does anyone know , considering outside of the broncosAnd manly it’s essentially the same 8 as last year . Everyone was expecting Newcastle and Souths to be there . That’s my issue. Our draw from memory prior to Covid was a tough middle and a lot of easier games finishing the season . But anyway , we have to play what’s in front of us now

We ended up with a tough draw especially the run home however although we have won against the bottom 8 teams a lot of those wins have been unconvincing. Off the top of my head performances v manly, v bulldogs, 2nd half v convoys all show we are where we belong.

not sure on this Souths game. if you asked me in late June I would’ve said we’re a better side than them but now I don’t think we’re close. if our defence is as bad as it was against Manly we’ll get lapped.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme