This Forum Endorses #KeepBenji

Every one of us remembers where we where when it was confirmed that benji would be making his debut. I was in year 10 at high school.

I supported a team that was very poor.

17 years later the game has long since changed, benji did the most changing!. He inspired, he excited, he enraged and he empowered.

I don’t have anything powerful or influencual that could make people make decisions. But what I do have is a website that I started in 2004, in a dark time when we - as a club - had nothing. But Benji changed everything.

I don’t need to post about how benji changed rugby league. What I want to tell you is how he changed me. He gave me confidence, he gave me inspiration. I wanted to “be benji” when I played rugby.

The hardest things I’ve ever had to do was come out to my parents. Going to Leichhardt to cheer on Benji and the boys was something that helped me and my parents bond. Benji was the “thing” that helped us relate and bond.

Benji changed us, he changed US as a whole. Every one of us suddenly had faith in the crap clubs that we followed. Now we had a chance…

That’s my story but We know there are so many more. Stories about young girls and boys doing sidesteps or people cheering loudly on the sideline, our stories are all different but Benji remains a constant.

He’s time is too soon and it’s not yet!

It is not right that someone who changed the game so much is left adrift like this.

If you want him to play again, let him.
If he is going to play again, it should only EVER be in a WESTS TIGERS jersey. No other, nothing else.

I encourage you all to tweet, post and email as much as you can to keep Benji, to keep our hero, to keep the person who we love.

last edited by Geo

I can’t endorse keeping Benji. I’m grateful for all the awesome memories that Benji has left us with, but in my opinion, it is time for the club to move forward. Splashy plays and highlight reels are great, but this club needs to start building a winning culture, and Benji hasn’t had consistent success since his glory years of 2008-2012. So many players these days want to emulate Tom Brady and delay their retirement, but the sad reality is that there are only a few truly great athletes that are able to sustain success as they age. My final advice to Benji - think not what you have done for the Tigers, but what the Tigers have done for you. Thanks and goodluck.

last edited by steve-o

Disagree with keeping Benji. He has done a lot for this club on and off the field and deserves everyone’s respect. However it needs to be remembered in all of this the club aren’t trying to move him on they are just not renewing the contract of a 35 year old. One thing he hasn’t earned is the right to tell the club when he wants to retire. If he wants to end his career as a tiger now is his opportunity. He wish him all the best no matter what he does but I endorse the club moving forward.

Nah …he’s had more than enough time in the limelight…
Time to move on …bye bye Benj

Benji Marshall is a great Wests Tigers memory. He would be wise to leave it at that.

So if he’s 50 and still wants play, we must support him and his decision. Benjis a legend, but his time is up.

Times up. It happens.

@Kul said in Our Forum Endorses #KeepBenji:

Every one of us remembers where we where when it was confirmed that benji would be making his debut. I was in year 10 at high school.

I supported a team that was very poor.

17 years later the game has long since changed, benji did the most changing!. He inspired, he excited, he enraged and he empowered.

I don’t have anything powerful or influencual that could make people make decisions. But what I do have is a website that I started in 2004, in a dark time when we - as a club - had nothing. But Benji changed everything.

I don’t need to post about how benji changed rugby league. What I want to tell you is how he changed me. He gave me confidence, he gave me inspiration. I wanted to “be benji” when I played rugby.

The hardest things I’ve ever had to do was come out to my parents. Going to Leichhardt to cheer on Benji and the boys was something that helped me and my parents bond. Benji was the “thing” that helped us relate and bond.

Benji changed us, he changed US as a whole. Every one of us suddenly had faith in the shit clubs that we followed. Now we had a chance…

That’s my story but We know there are so many more. Stories about young girls and boys doing sidesteps or people cheering loudly on the sideline, our stories are all different but Benji remains a constant.

He’s time is too soon and it’s not yet!

It is not right that someone who changed the game so much is left adrift like this.

If you want him to play again, let him.
If he is going to play again, it should only EVER be in a WESTS TIGERS jersey. No other, nothing else.

I encourage you all to tweet, post and email as much as you can to keep Benji, to keep our hero, to keep the person who we love.

It’s a very nice sentiment and I mean that truly. Benji has done a lot for the club. I am too young to remember ‘05’, but by the sound, without him we don’t win the premiership or even get close. He has been an integral part of all the tigers finals appearances and revolutionised the way the game is played, an inspiration to many kids growing up.

However, a lot of the OP focuses on emotion and the past. Not a bad thing, but as a team that hasn’t made the finals in 9 years (not Benjis fault) I think we need to start moving forward. He will be 36 by next preseason, and it’s all good and well to re-sign him but what if his form drops more then it has from 2019-2020? Drop him/bench him and get savaged by the media…again…potential derailment of a season which should be focused on building the games of Blore/McIntyre/AJ etc in the hope we can be threatening in 2022.

Again, I mean no disrespect to you @Kul or Benji, but if I’m being honest with myself if I isolate Benjis 2020 form (bar the rest of his career) particularly his defence, it’s just not enough for me. If it’s the same player performance wise and his name is NOT Benji Marshall you could only justify re-signing on the basis of it being depth but we all know that it won’t work to relegate him without a potential derailment of our building phase which shapes nicely if we get some of the poms signings.

last edited by Geo

With all respect Kul i completely disagree,his last 2 seasons have been poor to diabolical and it will only deteriorate even further if he stays.Let us all remember him for his early days till 2012 and not the rubbish he has given us since he returned.This supporter can not and will not endorse Benji staying. In fact i am not evn happy about enduring him for 2 more games but i have no choice.
Benji is like the sausage that has been on the BBQ plate for 3 hours well and truly overcooked and no takers

Yeh na.Thanks for the memories Benji hope you have a great retirement . Tommy Raudonakis is another hero of mine he retired graciously like I hope you do.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful of the emotional investment many of you have for Benji. I too have argued with mates over the years about his value to the team, but it depends on which week you’re talking about. Madge handed Benji a golden opportunity to go out as a WT, same as he did with his long time team mate Robbie Farah and Chris Lawrence. I can only see one of them not returning that respect in kind by accepting the good will. Benji was told a long time ago that WT weren’t prepared to give him another playing contract in 2021.
Benji should accept the situation and help the club in other ways. His disloyalty is beginning to be a little irritating. I agree with Farah on the issue, in that Benji should be grateful and stop burning his bridges.

last edited by twentyforty

It’s hard…

When he runs the ball and creates opportunities there is no better player to watch…offensively he ran our game against souths, but came up with that kick

When players run at him and he has to make a tackle I hold my breath…

@OzLuke said in Our Forum Endorses #KeepBenji:

It’s hard…

When he runs the ball and creates opportunities there is no better player to watch…offensively he ran our game against souths, but came up with that kick

When players run at him and he has to make a tackle I hold my breath…

But didn’t that same sort of kick get a try against Many?

Bur I do agree, it’s time For him to retire.

The kick against manly didnt come on the 2nd tackle with an overlap outside him and Nof only just managed to chase it down with a few inches to spare.There is not anyone on the planet who could have chased down the kick on thursday.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme