Scouting...

who is actually in charge of this, for us? Appreciating that we are cash strapped, and how expensive Sydney is, I still wonder why we haven’t gone after more English players, or even union…? Had some success in the past, has this now gone in the too hard basket or is it simply a case of not enough talent even when looking at other codes? Canberra seems to do it well…

Personally i have always thought we should experiment with targeting South African Union players, mainly wingers because they are crazy fast and a very untouched market

@Tiger_heart said in Scouting...:

who is actually in charge of this, for us? Appreciating that we are cash strapped, and how expensive Sydney is, I still wonder why we haven’t gone after more English players, or even union…? Had some success in the past, has this now gone in the too hard basket or is it simply a case of not enough talent even when looking at other codes? Canberra seems to do it well…

Probably because they are not as good as what we have.

is it still this guy?

https://weststigersforum.com/topic/26991/david-warwick-wests-tigers-recruitment-manager

Also it was mentioned somewhere that we now use a ranking system (program0 to identify talent and recruit from that. not sure where I read that though, bit reminded me of Moneyball and what Des used to work out Tolman was the best prop in the world

@TSupps05 said in Scouting...:

Personally i have always thought we should experiment with targeting South African Union players, mainly wingers because they are crazy fast and a very untouched market

We can’t compete with Yawnions $$$$ overseas …they can earn heaps in Italy / Japan .

last edited by happy_tiger

@TSupps05 said in Scouting...:

I dont think you ever saw Len Killeen play he was probably the slowest winger i have seen but a great goal kicker.I cant remember any other S.Africans who have played here though it is possible some have.Admittedly in his days apartheid was still in place and there were no none white players in the springbocks

This forum does all our scouting

I assume it’s a whole group of guys that does it

With Qantas withdrawing their sponsorship of Rugby Australia it will be interesting what effect it has on the code they’ve been struggling big time of late and this could be the nail in the coffin for them big contracts in rugby could be on hold for a long time

We should look at Jamaica…they have a bobsled team

@Geo said in Scouting...:

We should look at Jamaica…they have a bobsled team

And they were former sprinters, so there is our pace.

@the_third said in Scouting...:

is it still this guy?

https://weststigersforum.com/topic/26991/david-warwick-wests-tigers-recruitment-manager

Also it was mentioned somewhere that we now use a ranking system (program0 to identify talent and recruit from that. not sure where I read that though, bit reminded me of Moneyball and what Des used to work out Tolman was the best prop in the world

I think it’s Ronald (Warren) McDonnell again? He’s come back as recruitment manager since he left Doggies.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme