The Way Coaches Carry Themselves

This topic may or may not interest readers but I thought I’d put it out there.
The manner in which coaches speak to the media, particularly after games provides some stark contrasts. I was watching the sports highlights package on Fox this morning and I saw Justin Holbrook and Adam O’Brien speak. I thought Holbrook was really easy to listen to. Composed, intelligent and with a sense of humour. And before people say, it’s easy after a win, I will add that I have seen him front the media in the same composed, amiable manner after heavy losses earlier in the season! O’Brien doesn’t have the greatest voice but what he has to say is honest, realistic and positive.
I wonder if the two coaches’, particularly Holbrook’s personality are significant factors in their team’s recent success.
Compare Madge and he seems reticent and colourless. Don’t get me wrong, I like Maguire and I think he’s the right man for the job, but I don’t think he’s the most interesting coach to listen to.
Obviously, it comes down to personal taste but I find Robinson and Desi to be two of the better ones while Bennet is a dead bore!

It’s hard to listen to Madge in the press because he basically says the same crap every week, however our team delivers the same crap most weeks so what can he say.

@Tcat said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

It’s hard to listen to Madge in the press because he basically says the same crap every week, however our team delivers the same crap most weeks so what can he say.

He us only telling the truth

McGregor I thought was ok early days. Once the knives come out after a honeymoon period he will become more cautious about what is said as he can be crucified for it. It is also a platform to start an agenda or defer focus ala Bennett.
The difference between coaches is pretty much in the delivery imo not necessarily what’s said

Well Ivan is hesitant & slow of speech and Bennett is a colourless bore as you say, but both their teams are going pretty well, so no I don’t really think a coach’s personality when fronting the media has much to do with the success of a team.

@Spud_Murphy said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

Well Ivan is hesitant & slow of speech and Bennett is a colourless bore as you say, but both their teams are going pretty well, so no I don’t really think a coach’s personality when fronting the media has much to do with the success of a team.

What they say to the cameras and reporters gallery and what they say behind closed doors are probably vastly different anyway. How they interview after a win or a loss bears little on how they get the team ready to play IMO.

Toovey was the best for pressers…

I don’t think Madge is interested in feeding the media. That’s why he just trots the same stuff out every week. “I have great belief in this group etc etc”. I get the feeling that he just wants to get it out of the way and if he didn’t have to do a press conference then he probably wouldn’t.

I don’t give it any credence and I don’t think it reflects what he would actually be saying to the players.

@stevied said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

The manner in which coaches speak to the media, particularly after games provides some stark contrasts. I was watching the sports highlights package on Fox this morning and I saw Justin Holbrook and Adam O’Brien speak. I thought Holbrook was really easy to listen to. Composed, intelligent and with a sense of humour. And before people say, it’s easy after a win, I will add that I have seen him front the media in the same composed, amiable manner after heavy losses earlier in the season! O’Brien doesn’t have the greatest voice but what he has to say is honest, realistic and positive.
I wonder if the two coaches’, particularly Holbrook’s personality are significant factors in their team’s recent success.
Compare Madge and he seems reticent and colourless. Don’t get me wrong, I like Maguire and I think he’s the right man for the job, but I don’t think he’s the most interesting coach to listen to.
Obviously, it comes down to personal taste but I find Robinson and Desi to be two of the better ones while Bennet is a dead bore!
Holbrook was a class act when he was interviewed on 360 straight after he got the Titans job, he seemed like a really good fella. Good luck to him, he makes a refreshing change from some of the other muppets. Cannot stand the arrogant way Bennett says ‘ok’ after every statement he makes like his opinion is the only thing that matters. Kent does it all the time on 360 and Gus does it as well.

@TheDaBoss said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

@Tcat said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

He us only telling the truth

And the truth hurts

IMHO, Newcs are the worst team for being hot and cold this year. Not the sign of a great coach.

This post is deleted!

@Masterton said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

IMHO, Newcs are the worst team for being hot and cold this year. Not the sign of a great coach.

Not sure if it is a coach failing but you are dead right about the Knights’ inconsistency.

@Fade-To-Black said in The Way Coaches Carry Themselves:

Holbrook was a class act when he was interviewed on 360 straight after he got the Titans job, he seemed like a really good fella. Good luck to him, he makes a refreshing change from some of the other muppets. Cannot stand the arrogant way Bennett says ‘ok’ after every statement he makes like his opinion is the only thing that matters. Kent does it all the time on 360 and Gus does it as well.

Completely agree with your summation Fade! Holbrook seems like a class above at this early stage.

Dessie is funny to listen too. I think he gets this ‘serious, not serious’ bit right. By that, you need to keep players focused on their tasks not relaxed, not panic’d under pressure. I.e. You are a forward, you tackle the person in front of you. When you run focus on if you are passing, is there a gap yes/no… Not “hey we really need to win this match so it’s all down to you”…leading to the forward throwing a match winning pass to the wet grass tackle 2.

Bennett sees the Media bit as a distraction and I think he is very wary of it.

Ricky and Belliache are so up tight. You see their passion and you see their panic. You get how Ricky can get Canberra to the finals and you get how Ricky caused Cronulla to get the wooden spoon in 2009 (he had a lot of bad luck with Ben Ross, Greg Bird, etc).

You need that emotional investment and you need a pressure release. I remember Kevin Walters was assistant coach at Melbourne. His job seemed to be the pressure release valve when Bellamy pushed the players too far.

Overall that is why we need a coaching director and a plan for the role. I like the Storm’s quote when Brody Croft went into halfback over Cooper Cronk “brody has some strengths and some weaknesses, we need to work with those strengths and adapt”. Likewise with coaching. McGuire has a stack of strengths. He sets the right work tone, the attitude is good but clearly needs help with a defensive coach. It’s not is X coach good or bad it’s does X coach bring what we need to the table and if something is missing how to we make this up.

We have needed a hard coach for a long while. Jason t had no idea how to do this right. McGuire is a tougher taskmaster. Lets look around and get a good defensive coach onboard (Dallas Johnson on tackling technique I have always thought would be good for the role, otherwise someone who can pinpoint who’s out of place and train them where they need to be on the defensive line).

Anyway lets see if we can come 9’th in 2021. Go Tigers!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme