Season 2020 review

Hmmmmmmm

Well beautiful people of the forum another year goes by and with it, our bid to be better.

The quick summary is we were poor, real poor. I’m a mad madge supporter and most of the time an optimist, but this year has to be determined as a failure. Very little in the way of positives and as per usual a whole lot of questions. A defensive coach who leads his squad to a horrific defensive record has to spell troubles in paradise. Now you could say that that trouble is justified but it still stinks.

Anyway I’m going to go into depth below on players who did well, players that underachieved, and where it all went so wrong.

Whole team review

Attack

The team finished 7th (440) in points scored 22 per game, which on paper looks like a decent improvement to past years. The difference this year was we, bad teams, to the sword which you could argue inflated our stats. The worrying point is here is we scored 4 tries a game which ranks 6th. As we all know our constant Achilles heel is goal kicking.
We used 3 different kickers this year Benji (73%), Moses (64%), ad (66%). not one averaged about 74% with Benji being our best at 73. The only 2 kickers who performed worse and is a regular was ponga.

Offensive production.
We came 13th in run meters averaging a 1378 a game which is roughly 300 less a game then first place Penrith. This is probably the scariest stat for me personally as i thought going into this year our forwards would be a strength. It’s actually dire reading with only 1, that’s right 1, forward averaging over 100m a game.
Another crazy stat was we only had 4 forwards average 10 or more runs a game. The truth is we need to be really proud of the likes of noffo , AD, Tommy, and Kep as they all ran on average 10 or more runs a game and all averaged over 100m.
For a smallish team we busted alot of tackles placing us 6th overall. These tackle bust came primarily came from nofo (5), BJ (3), and ad (3). While ill cop some flack for this Joey produced way more tackle busts than any other tiger per run. It was criminal how little we used him.
Offloads are another area we achieved well ranking at 6th. Again Bj was our biggest distributor followed by nofo and lucy.
Another super negative stat was tackles in the opps 20. We ranked 15th with only the broncos getting into the opp 20 less.

Defensive production.
As a team, we averaged 321 tackles a game the 5th most in the comp, and missed a whooping 27.6 tpg which placed us in 4th . So that needs to rectified for us to be anything moving forward. A surprising stat was we were 15th in offloads against which is nut because it felt like para through 420 in the last game.
We conceded 1456 meters a game which gives us a differential of about -100m a game. we also conceded 4.9 (5th) line breaks a game .
One thing that hurt me to read because it has been a narrative for tigers fans for so long is that we received 4.4 penalties a game which is 14th and we were penalised 5.1(8th) times a game. so bad but nor horrible.

So in summary we have some real issues in the engine room and it’s possible we don’t know how to tackle.

Ill do an individual player review later if people are interested.

Thanks some interesting stats, and I agree on BJ, he adds something to the team

Awesome work Hodgo, great work!! Look forward to player review

@hodgo said in Season 2020 review:

Hmmmmmmm

Well beautiful people of the forum another year goes by and with it, our bid to be better.

The quick summary is we were poor, real poor. I’m a mad madge supporter and most of the time an optimist, but this year has to be determined as a failure. Very little in the way of positives and as per usual a whole lot of questions. A defensive coach who leads his squad to a horrific defensive record has to spell troubles in paradise. Now you could say that that trouble is justified but it still stinks.

Anyway I’m going to go into depth below on players who did well, players that underachieved, and where it all went so wrong.

Whole team review

Attack

The team finished 7th (440) in points scored 22 per game, which on paper looks like a decent improvement to past years. The difference this year was we, bad teams, to the sword which you could argue inflated our stats. The worrying point is here is we scored 4 tries a game which ranks 6th. As we all know our constant Achilles heel is goal kicking.
We used 3 different kickers this year Benji (73%), Moses (64%), ad (66%). not one averaged about 74% with Benji being our best at 73. The only 2 kickers who performed worse and is a regular was ponga.

Offensive production.
We came 13th in run meters averaging a 1378 a game which is roughly 300 less a game then first place Penrith. This is probably the scariest stat for me personally as i thought going into this year our forwards would be a strength. It’s actually dire reading with only 1, that’s right 1, forward averaging over 100m a game.
Another crazy stat was we only had 4 forwards average 10 or more runs a game. The truth is we need to be really proud of the likes of noffo , AD, Tommy, and Kep as they all ran on average 10 or more runs a game and all averaged over 100m.
For a smallish team we busted alot of tackles placing us 6th overall. These tackle bust came primarily came from nofo (5), BJ (3), and ad (3). While ill cop some flack for this Joey produced way more tackle busts than any other tiger per run. It was criminal how little we used him.
Offloads are another area we achieved well ranking at 6th. Again Bj was our biggest distributor followed by nofo and lucy.
Another super negative stat was tackles in the opps 20. We ranked 15th with only the broncos getting into the opp 20 less.

Defensive production.
As a team, we averaged 321 tackles a game the 5th most in the comp, and missed a whooping 27.6 tpg which placed us in 4th . So that needs to rectified for us to be anything moving forward. A surprising stat was we were 15th in offloads against which is nut because it felt like para through 420 in the last game.
We conceded 1456 meters a game which gives us a differential of about -100m a game. we also conceded 4.9 (5th) line breaks a game .
One thing that hurt me to read because it has been a narrative for tigers fans for so long is that we received 4.4 penalties a game which is 14th and we were penalised 5.1(8th) times a game. so bad but nor horrible.

So in summary we have some real issues in the engine room and it’s possible we don’t know how to tackle.

Thanks for the summary,

A couple of things. First an observation. Would you say our scoring strike rate was high comparatively given we finished 6th in tries but ranked 15th in opportunities in the red zone?

For mine this highlights a big potential impact to the rule changes of refs giving an additional set as opposed to a penalty.

We’ve historically been a team that struggles to get out of its own end.

In past years we would have luck with a penalty awarded for overworking the ruck or offside etc.

This year I noticed a team would happily concede a set restart on our first tackle given that they did not feel threatened by giving us more possession in our own half.
I think we proved that, that tactic worked out well against us.

The meters conceded, where did that rank us comparatively to the remaining 15 sides?

@needaname 9th mate and agree totally with the 6 again against the penalty. Lay on us get your d ready then pummel us work against us well.

@needaname 9th mate and agree totally with the 6 again against the penalty. Lay on us get your d ready then pummel us work against us well.

Thanks.

So that, coupled with the high score rate in the red zone really highlights the area we need to work on over the off-season is the tough meters in the middle of the field.
Pretty much adds weight to the reason our first major signing is James Tamou and we have decided not to resign forwards like Eisenhuth and Elijah Taylor. (Taylor works for the Tough meters but I’d imagine his salary and his position in the squad would of made it hard to justify him being resigned. (Eiso I believe has been let go to make way for more youth, ‘most likely Stefano’s roster spot)

Fifth most tackles in the comp is the major issue. Means we aren’t holding possession, aren’t completing sets and our halves aren’t finding us repeat sets.

You’re never going to win if you’re tackling all day and that’s what we’ve done all year long.

last edited by JoshColeman99

The only thing I will say and yes a great review mate thank you,is that the stats concerning BJ are spot on ,he can be a weapon next year because he wasnt getting the ball enough,Im not getting in an argument here,but when JR was beside Brooks in those few games he gave the ball some air which got out to BJ and he did good work with it in hand at times…the key will be to use BJ as much as possible for the hard runs and offloads,hopefully Madge gets rid of the brainsnaps,and he does much better with him next year…

@JoshColeman99 said in Season 2020 review:

Fifth most tackles in the comp is the major issue. Means we aren’t holding possession, aren’t completing sets and our halves aren’t finding us repeat sets.

You’re never going to win if you’re tackling all day and that’s what we’ve done all year long.

What the team has to learn is toughen up from the start,conceding 20+ points to nil and having to grind and scrape back isnt going to get us anywhere soon…they did well to beat an average Manly,nearly toppled Souths…they have to get the defense right over the offseason and also work out the players that will be in their spots consistently instead of chopping and changing,closing out games will be high on the agenda I presume…they have plenty to work on but Madge will get it right I hope…

Agree with everything.
We weren’t good enough and our forwards let us down … again.

We’ll have another good off season too.

Looking forward to the first six games next year as always.

Thanks for this summary hodgo. It confirms what I have believed for some time. That is, that our problems begin and end with our pack. We were unable regularly to get out of our own end and we were unable to contain opponents’ momentum up the middle. The ease with which, for example, Manly and the Storm were able to roll up our middle was alarming.

When we did get some decent field position we were able to score tries.

We need to substantially upgrade our pack. Tamou is a start, but it is not enough.

I look forward to your individual player review.

My question is why do our fowards not get the ball!
They all cant have 15 carries if the ball doesn’t get passed to them.
In a game a few weeks.ago. One player had over 20 support runs.
Yet only made about 50m from 5 runs
I don’t understand why!

Is there a stat for most sin binning? I think we might have ranked 1 there.

Hmmmmmmm

Whole team review

Attack

Offensive production.

Defensive production.

Thanks for the info. Can you please provide the details on the top three players who missed tackles.?

last edited by pawsandclaws1

Young BLORE showed what he is going to add, please sign him past 2021, he will be available this November, also young Kepoa is a great addition, has talent. It looks like Douhei will go to 6, and showed good signs, need to fill the No 1, and another big mobile forward, liked how Garner was running great lines, then things will look a lot brighter 🙂

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme