The year of the Tiger 2005

Now that the dust has settled a bit,2005 was the best year for Wests Tigers fans.These are my recollections.
The media put pressure on scott Prince to commit to the tigers for a longer period than 2 years- believing the tigers would be a more successful 2006 side.- his only reply was what about this year-2005 and so right was he.
The team had to play north queensland in the first week and gave them a real touch up.The next assignment was against brisbane in brisbane.Many would argue that the following weeks game against saints was a pivotal moment,but I believe
the brisbane win was the teams watershed moment.
Benji came up with the two biggest plays of the game when he rolled tony carroll onto his back to prevent carroll from scoring.Later,he took an intercept and ran 100 metres to score.

Dean halatau’s fine individual try running from dummy half was a highlight of the teams gusty win against saints.
Supporters were always confident of a grand final win after smashing the cowgirls in the first week of the finals.
when scott prince ran around the cowboys centre to set up fitzhenry we were pretty much home.
The best quote came from tim sheens who remarked- we didnt win because of benji but we wouldnt have won without him.
2005 seems a long time ago.Mind you, 1969 and 1952 were even further back.
so ill savor 2005 and look forward to the next one.- if im still around.

Wests Tigers, memories.

The Brisbane win is very underrated, but the dragons win was easily the most satisfying. It felt like we won the grand final that night

I think versing Parra in the grand final would have been interesting, iirc they had the wood on us that year

And…watching penrith this year, it has a 05 tigers feeling about it. Came from absolutely nowhere

last edited by Speed2burn

@eyewondertwo said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

Now that the dust has settled a bit,2005 was the best year for Wests Tigers fans.These are my recollections.
The media put pressure on scott Prince to commit to the tigers for a longer period than 2 years- believing the tigers would be a more successful 2006 side.- his only reply was what about this year-2005 and so right was he.
The team had to play north queensland in the first week and gave them a real touch up.The next assignment was against brisbane in brisbane.Many would argue that the following weeks game against saints was a pivotal moment,but I believe
Benji came up with the two biggest plays of the game when he rolled tony carroll onto his back to prevent carroll from scoring.Later,he took an intercept and ran 100 metres to score.

Dean halatau’s fine individual try running from dummy half was a highlight of the teams gusty win against saints.
Supporters were always confident of a grand final win after smashing the cowgirls in the first week of the finals.
when scott prince ran around the cowboys centre to set up fitzhenry we were pretty much home.
The best quote came from tim sheens who remarked- we didnt win because of benji but we wouldnt have won without him.

Pretty sure the Broncos game was in Sydney not Brisbane

oops,it was in sydney and it was darren smith not tony carroll.

So long ago now, I wish we had something more recent to celebrate.

@tiger05premier said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

@eyewondertwo said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

Pretty sure the Broncos game was in Sydney not Brisbane

They were all. In Sydney… Lucky enough to go. To. All

15byears ago yesterday

@innsaneink said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

15byears ago yesterday

Hope you weren’t trying to say 15 beers ago …any serious WT’s fan should be bordering on being an alcoholic

@innsaneink said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

15byears ago yesterday

Wests Tigers learnt how to play,
They’ve been going in and out of style,
But they’re guaranteed to raise the smile,
So may I introduce to you,
The team you’ve known for all these years,…

I think we should focus on Tigers 2021. Been dining out on 05 for far too long

@Tiger_Steve said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

So true Steve

One of this clubs biggest problems …they’ve never moved on and a lot of fans are the same

@happy_tiger said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

So true Steve

One of this clubs biggest problems …they’ve never moved on and a lot of fans are the same

100% mate

Tigers 2021 looks bleak though. Gotta hold onto the good memories too and never forget.

@happy_tiger said in The year of the Tiger 2005:

So true Steve

I actually think the whole Rugby League world is stuck in 05 when it comes to the Tigers.

It drives me crazy every time when commentators default to “well we know the flamboyant, free flowing, attacking brand of football the Tigers like to play…”. Im screaming at the TV “NOT FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS!!!”

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme