The Papenhuyzen decision...

QUOTE: The same player who former Tigers head of football Kelly Egan believed was “too injury prone” to keep at the club.

This is the first time I have read where anyone with inside information has actually stated the reason Papenhuyzen was not a priority… (Chaamas, as most know, gets his info direct from the club).

The man responsible was Kelly Egan, who I always thought was absolutely useless, confirming my feelings. The same Kelly Egan who oversaw our “development” players program where basically no one has developed into a consistent NRL player.

Same Kelly Egan who upgraded and advocated Dylan Smith as a future Tigers long term FB. Same Dylan Smith who looked lost at state cup level, never played a minute of NRL, and was just let go…

Did Egan leave us with anything solid at all? I can only think of Thomas Mikkaele to show for his multiple years with us…hardly a golden period of recruitment and retention.

last edited by ElleryHanley

Leave this stuff for the lament thread. I don’t know how many times we have to go over the past.

Egan is gone, so is Paps, let’s move on.

Cool story but it doesnt take into consideration that at the time he left Tedesco was still our Fullback.

I think you answered your own question…he’s gone…

Now what

last edited by Geo

Madden, McIntyre, talau maybe

@Tiger5150 said in The Papenhuyzen decision...:

Cool story but it doesnt take into consideration that at the time he left Tedesco was still our Fullback.

I agree it is so easy to be Monday morning quarterback!

@weststigerman said in The Papenhuyzen decision...:

Leave this stuff for the lament thread. I don’t know how many times we have to go over the past.

Egan is gone, so is Paps, let’s move on.

Yes, but there are reasons why we are where we are…

And reasons why it will take a few years to recover.

Things like this provide explanation as to what Madge has had to deal with. He has had Dylan Smith there for two, completely wasted, years as our dev fullback…

Which is relevant as we have all hammered him for having so many issues finding one.

@InBenjiWeTrust said in The Papenhuyzen decision...:

Not really…people like you and I are ‘fans’ and entitled to be Monday’s experts (a great song BTW)

But others like Egan are paid big money to get these things right…watch film…know what they are doing. He took Dylan Smith from Cronulla’s system I believe and banked three years of dev money on a kid who played ZERO mins of NRL before being cut. We tried multiple FBs, yet never once considered Smith for a run. That is a massive error of judgement and one we will pay for a long time. Compounded massively by missing out on what we had.

Again, it all is relevant as it helps explain ‘why’ we are where we are and ‘what challenges’ Madge has been left burdened with…

@ElleryHanley said in The Papenhuyzen decision...:

Not really…people like you and I are ‘fans’ and entitled to be Monday’s experts (a great song BTW)

But others like Egan are paid big money to get these things right…watch film…know what they are doing. He took Dylan Smith from Cronulla’s system I believe and banked three years of dev money on a kid who played ZERO mins of NRL before being cut. We tried multiple FBs, yet never once considered Smith for a run. That is a massive error of judgement and one we will pay for a long time. Compounded massively by missing out on what we had.

Again, it all is relevant as it helps explain ‘why’ we are where we are and ‘what challenges’ Madge has been left burdened with…

At the time he left, Papenhuyzen development was blocked by Tedesco. It is ridiculous to suggest that the Tigers (or Egan) chose to develop Dylan Smith over Papenhuyzen. Paps left because at the time his progress was blocked by the best fullback in the world.

You’ve been watching to much NFL and or American programs.

@Geo said in The Papenhuyzen decision...:

I think you answered your own question…he’s gone…

Now what

He is gone…but the legacy remains.

This all, in a roundabout way, answers my own question of a few weeks back about Madge. He has been left with a substantial mess. Bigger than I knew about…and one that will take years to recover from. Most people see Reynolds / Packer / Mbye has the legacy he got left with…but it is a lot deeper with multiple really poor dev programs. Kane Bradley…Dylan Smith…just terrible decisions.

It helps justify extending Madge IMO. Let him, at the very least, have a dev cycle of his own players…

@ElleryHanley said in The Papenhuyzen decision...:

At the time he left, Papenhuyzen development was blocked by Tedesco. It is ridiculous to suggest that the Tigers (or Egan) chose to develop Dylan Smith over Papenhuyzen. Paps left because at the time his progress was blocked by the best fullback in the world.

Every man and his dog knew Tedesco was gone. Minichello was shouting it. He had already left once. This is what a recruitment manager does mate, he sees what is likely to happen and plans. Saying ‘we had Tedesco’ is naive IMO.

The kid went to a Storm team that had the GOAT there ‘and’ three other really highly rated FB prospects. He was as blocked there as anywhere…

My answer to all of this is would he be the player he is if he stayed at the Tigers ? … well No ! He made the right choice for himself end of story.

last edited by Snake

I met him once. He seemed like a bit of a typical sports coach kinda guy. Like a chew gum, wisecracking college football coach type. Was a bit weird tbh lol.

last edited by facepalmer

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme