Keep Garner

I think the club is crazy if they let Garner go.
Sure he has had some poor defensive lapses and his lateral defense needs work but he’s shown enough in all other areas to suggest he has along NRL career ahead of him.
His front on defense is good and can put a heavy hit on with his shoulder. He runs good lines and has a knack of finding the try line. Plays big minutes too.

He just needs to work on his lateral defense which hasn’t helped being outside Marshall and inside BJ. There isn’t much cohesion between them in defense.

Luke’s defensive issues can be fixed in 1 off season. He is NRL level just needs a bit of polish. I’ve heard many ex NRL players single him out as one of our best prospects.

I think he’s still under 50 NRL games, although 25 years old.
He will only get better. We have to stop giving guys their debuts only to give them the flick a year or two later just as they are around that 50-75 games mark because they aren’t considered a complete player at 50 games. We need to be a bit more patient with these types of players.
I know we will regret it when he’s carving up at another club.

This will be Ben Teo all over again imo. We discarded him because he had some lateral defense issues and within no time he was a grandfinal winner and international. We all seen his potential but, me included, were too impatient.

If losing Garner gave us a Schuster or similar, then fair enough, but to let Garner go just to free up some salary cap space just stinks of short term opportunity without looking at the long game. The Wests Tigers are the worst in the NRL at letting good players go after we have nurtured them. Please WT, dont make the same mistake with Luke Garner.

Just to add, McIntyre is no direct replacement for Garner imo, not yet anyway.
Please don’t say he is better than Luke. Only time will tell that. You cant accurately compare them at present.
Yes Sam looks good and has surprised most of us, but he hasn’t been tested like Garner has as yet.
Sams only played a handful of games with short minutes and usually a week off in between.
I’m sure he has some flaws too that will be exposed if he was a starter playing 80 minutes week in week out.
He’s a keeper too but if the club thinks they can offload Garner and replace him with Sam, then its 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards.

I’ll happily swap Garner for Schuster.

I’m also happy to let garner go just to free up space.

@Toowoomba_Tiger said in Keep Garner:

He’s a keeper too but if the club thinks they can offload Garner and replace him with Sam, then its 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards.

Wouldnt we be one step ahead in that situation?

yes, as opposed to 2 steps forward

WT wouldn’t be letting Garner go if there wasn’t a plan in place to replace him with someone better. Madge’s job is to continually strengthen positions in first grade and its slow progress however the lineup is more dynamic now than 12-24 months ago. Post 1 November, I imagine the forum will be in full swing with a significant turnover of players at the end of 2021 and a buying frenzy for season '22.

@Toowoomba_Tiger said in Keep Garner:

yes, as opposed to 2 steps forward

Baby steps…

Looking at the squad we would want have a direct replacement (internal or external) if we let him go. .

Probably a shoot out between Garner, Huth and Mcintyre for a spot. Packer, MCK, garner (or other) show the gap between our best players and replacements. Utikamanu is an unknown quantity in this regard, Miakele is marginal on current for (was he injured?)

Next year: 12 forwards, inc 1 hookers in the squad with the FG team having 6 starters (inc hooker) and 3-4 on the bench for 9/10 each week Seems to be a decent number based on other NRL Squads

Ive left out Walters and Reynolds as I see them as utilities, but the reality is they will probably take a bench spot most games and cover hooker for us as it’s only Liddle in the squad. Fingers cross he over his run of injuries.

On the books:
Props (and probably Twal at lock)
Aloiai, Miakele, Musgrove, Packer, Tamou, Utikamanu, Twal

Second Row
LL, Blore, MCK, Garner

Hooker
Liddle (Simpkin still development)

Gone:
Lawrence, McIntyre, Seyfarth, Eisenhuth, Clark, McQueen, Taylor, Grant

@PabloX said in Keep Garner:

I’ll happily swap Garner for Schuster.

I’m also happy to let garner go just to free up space.

100% agree to that. That would be a great swap.
I’m afraid that may be for “Just dreaming“ basket.

I’d rather we let MCK go, but I haven’t seen Garner improve his defence and it’s not clear whether he ever will at WT. We need a second row replacement if we do let him go.

@the_third said in Keep Garner:

Looking at the squad we would want have a direct replacement (internal or external) if we let him go. .

Probably a shoot out between Garner, Huth and Mcintyre for a spot. Packer, MCK, garner (or other) show the gap between our best players and replacements. Utikamanu is an unknown quantity in this regard, Miakele is marginal on current for (was he injured?)

Next year: 12 forwards, inc 1 hookers in the squad with the FG team having 6 starters (inc hooker) and 3-4 on the bench for 9/10 each week Seems to be a decent number based on other NRL Squads

Ive left out Walters and Reynolds as I see them as utilities, but the reality is they will probably take a bench spot most games and cover hooker for us as it’s only Liddle in the squad. Fingers cross he over his run of injuries.

On the books:

Second Row
LL, Blore, MCK, Garner

Hooker

Gone:

I’m a fan of the breakdown. Think Simpkin is nrl squad next year however https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/08/21/wests-tigers-sign-young-queensland-duo/

@weststigerman said in Keep Garner:

I’d rather we let MCK go, but I haven’t seen Garner improve his defence and it’s not clear whether he ever will at WT. We need a second row replacement if we do let him go.

Agree, MCK offers very little other then a few errors

I would rather let MCK go too but nobody wants him manly want Garner, if we can somehow get schuster then that is outstanding

If we let Garner go without a comparable replacement in return, then we have learnt nothing from our past sins…Tevita Tatola, Curtis Sironen, Nathan Brown, Ryan Matterson all let go while under contract and look where they are now…stars for their new club…same will happen with Garner as he develops.

@Shooter-Mcgavin said in Keep Garner:

@the_third said in Keep Garner:

On the books:

Second Row
LL, Blore, MCK, Garner

Hooker

Gone:

I’m a fan of the breakdown. Think Simpkin is nrl squad next year however https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/08/21/wests-tigers-sign-young-queensland-duo/

I knew I missed something - thanks. Give me some relief that Reynolds won’t go anywhere near a hooker next year

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme