The Backline in 2021

@GNR4LIFE said in The Backline in 2021:

With the addition of Roberts, it’s created a real cluster for spots that will result in 1 or 2 regulars in 2020 missing out on a spot. Assuming everyone is fit. For balance, I think AD definitely has to move to 6. That would ease things somewhat. So that leaves the question of who plays 1.

AJ - Probably a bit too green. Though I do believe he played there at some point coming through the grades

Mbye - Maybe the safest assumption, but by no means the safest option

Roberts - Has played there before I believe, but probably putting a lot on his shoulders right off the bat. And given his off field issues, could do without the pressure

You would think BJ and Jimmy will get first dibs in the centres. And Noffa has one wing sewn up. Which leaves one wing and fullback up for grabs. I feel like AJ gets the wing spot and Mbye plays 1. Which leaves Tommy out in the cold, which I know would make a few of you happy. All of this is under the assumption AD moves to 6. Which if he doesn’t, will only create more of a headache. Also, not taking into account the potential signing of Mansour. And don’t forget Reece Hoffman

Head explodes

What a nice problem to have for a change, players competing for spots.

@ElleryHanley said in The Backline in 2021:

Mbye HAS to be 14.

It will change our whole balance positively if he goes there.

He should be nowhere but 14.

Who would you put at 1? (assuming DL is not here in 2021)

This is who i would pick in the backline for round 1. Hard to know how someone like Roberts will go as he will only be judged on training and we don’t get to see that

1 Mbye
2 Nofa
3 Joey
4 Talau
5 AJ
6 Doueihi
7 Brooks

@GNR4LIFE said in The Backline in 2021:

With the addition of Roberts, it’s created a real cluster for spots that will result in 1 or 2 regulars in 2020 missing out on a spot. Assuming everyone is fit. For balance, I think AD definitely has to move to 6. That would ease things somewhat. So that leaves the question of who plays 1.

AJ - Probably a bit too green. Though I do believe he played there at some point coming through the grades

Mbye - Maybe the safest assumption, but by no means the safest option

Roberts - Has played there before I believe, but probably putting a lot on his shoulders right off the bat. And given his off field issues, could do without the pressure

You would think BJ and Jimmy will get first dibs in the centres. And Noffa has one wing sewn up. Which leaves one wing and fullback up for grabs. I feel like AJ gets the wing spot and Mbye plays 1. Which leaves Tommy out in the cold, which I know would make a few of you happy. All of this is under the assumption AD moves to 6. Which if he doesn’t, will only create more of a headache. Also, not taking into account the potential signing of Mansour. And don’t forget Reece Hoffman

Head explodes

Agree completely it should be those spots, and Tommy probably won’t make the team most of the time. Would Storm really have let us have JAC if we gave Tommy? Mbye will play fullback for 2021

last edited by JayT

Backline picks itself at the moment:

1. Mbye
  2. Nofoauma
  3. Roberts (right side centre)
  4. BJ
  5. AJ
  6. AD
  7. Brooks

Talau gets jersey 14 - utility value as he can play wing at a pinch, centre, 6 or on an edge backrow.

AJ has all the qualities for a good 1 , if the Penrith kids not here AJ is my selection …Mbye offers nothing in that role he will be the 14 for the entire season.

@willow said in The Backline in 2021:

1. Mbye
  2. Nofoauma
  4. BJ
  5. AJ
  6. AD
  7. Brooks

Talau gets jersey 14 - utility value as he can play wing at a pinch, centre, 6 or on an edge backrow.

AJ 1 … Talau 5… Mbye 14 solves a few problems Imo.BJ on late season form will struggle to hold down 4…

last edited by Snake

@Snake said in The Backline in 2021:

1. Mbye
  2. Nofoauma
  4. BJ
  5. AJ
  6. AD
  7. Brooks

AJ 1 … Talau 5… Mbye 14 solves a few problems Imo.BJ on late season form will struggle to hold down 4…

I don’t see Talau as a winger but it will be interesting to see where Madge trains him during the offseason.

1. AJ
  2. Nofoauma
  4. BJ
  5. WK (gonna be a beast … !!)
  6. AD
  7. Brooks

Mbye can be our super-sub off the bench. Start the off season by training these guys in these positions and see how it goes … a good combination of youth, experience, size and speed … !!

Let’s entice Melb now by offering Talau for the Fox … 🙂

last edited by TigerSkins

@ElleryHanley said in The Backline in 2021:

Mbye HAS to be 14.

It will change our whole balance positively if he goes there.

He should be nowhere but 14.

I agree but only if we get a better option at fullback. If not I reckon he has to play 1.

I like that option but the problem is Liddle won’t be able to play 80 minutes per game over the course of the season. We need a hooker or utility hooker on the bench. Mbye is the best option but he is also the best option at fullback.

It’d be great to get that Penrith kid a year early.

No way can Roberts and Leilua can be in the same backline. The mind movies of that backline disaster would be shocking. We need speed so Roberts gets the start.

@Snake said in The Backline in 2021:

AJ has all the qualities for a good 1 , if the Penrith kids not here AJ is my selection …Mbye offers nothing in that role he will be the 14 for the entire season.

Surely you’ve started on the beers early…AJ at 1 hahahaha

We will definitely playing two hookers for start of season

A lot of people are leaving Packer and JRey out …and I can understand their way of thinking,however,Madge seems to think a lot of their in put during training…It wouldnt surprise me if he utilises them early to sort the team out and who plays where…just my thoughts and its good to finally have some young talent on the rise as well as experienced depth…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme