Joe Ofahengaue Next ??

@Droppy said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

JA is on $360K. If Broncos chip in $100 to $140K, we get JO for $40 k at worst. He has more potential then JA IMO.
We should never deal with Tyran Smith again as he is the cause of this drama (manager of Adam Founa Blake as well).AFB on $950K at Warriors. That’s the reason JA saw chance for big dollars at Manly. If deal with JO falls through, we should ensure he is not granted a release unless a player of equal value is released to the Tigers.

I think that “banning” an agent is fraught with danger as it could cost you a key player. I remember Politis banned Tedesco’s manager until of course he wanted Tedesco. I do however think its a good policy to have a strong mix of agents representation through the club. That is supposedly part of the problem at Broncos is one agent has the majority of players plus the last coach.

Having said that Tyran Smith doesnt have many players on his books and Aloiai is probably the best so there would be little risk in making that statement.

Something I thought of with the potential signing of Joey O. I think he would be the lone Tongan in the camp in a squad dripping with Samoans. Hope it doesnt disrupt any harmony.

@Sully said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

We should jump at the option of JO coming to us for $400k - $450k for next year and we can up the amount in 2022. He is the missing piece whereby we have someone who can bend the line, I think Musgrove will be better as he had the foot injury last year and ran hard when he was able to play and could compliment him when he is given a breather.

I hope we see Nofo has signed this week as he is a priority for us for culture along with the fact he had a great year last year and if BJ comes back in good condition he will have a great year again. We also have options with JTJ to assist in long range try’s which we did not have this year and possibly stop them with his pace.

I have hope again we are going to do well and if we work on the defence in the preseason the 8 should be a real possibility in 2021

I would like to get Laurie and Sironen for next season as they would make us even stronger and add additional excitement for the year.

Great being positive but really who have we picked up?
The Spine is really our most important concern now and we have deficiencies there.
Hooker - Lost Harry Grant
Halfback - Brooks (Been with us for years never played finals)
5/8 - Maybe AD - Untested might also have to play F/Back???
Fullback - Mybe/AD still a position that’s missing.

Roberts - On low coin and has personal issues - Raw speed if can get back to prior form still a centre
Laurie - Fullback great but maybe not till 2022 if we get earlier would be a big positive for us.
Joe O - Discussions but low on form might be an astute signing.

Now i have nil issues with recent signing but to think these players will immediately add to our Squad in making the 8 one has to question. We cannot attract a marquee player…

@Tigerbuck63 said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

We should jump at the option of JO coming to us for $400k - $450k for next year and we can up the amount in 2022. He is the missing piece whereby we have someone who can bend the line, I think Musgrove will be better as he had the foot injury last year and ran hard when he was able to play and could compliment him when he is given a breather.

I hope we see Nofo has signed this week as he is a priority for us for culture along with the fact he had a great year last year and if BJ comes back in good condition he will have a great year again. We also have options with JTJ to assist in long range try’s which we did not have this year and possibly stop them with his pace.

I have hope again we are going to do well and if we work on the defence in the preseason the 8 should be a real possibility in 2021

I would like to get Laurie and Sironen for next season as they would make us even stronger and add additional excitement for the year.

The Spine is really our most important concern now and we have deficiencies there.

Roberts - On low coin and has personal issues - Raw speed if can get back to prior form still a centre
Laurie - Fullback great but maybe not till 2022 if we get earlier would be a big positive for us.

Now i have nil issues with recent signing but to think these players will immediately add to our Squad in making the 8 one has to question. We cannot attract a marquee player…

That’s fair, but hey theres so many question marks I’m still excited about watching the team play next year.

if we are going to make the 8, Liddle and Brooks are the two most important factors in whether or not we can do so. Liddle fills the hole that Harry left, which is a pretty big one at that, and Brooks has no excuses this year. if those 2 are our best players next year we’ll go a long way towards breaking that drought.

Marquee players effects are a bit of a myth tbh. Some say Grant is that, we had him and still finished well outside the 8.

Those players are great when you’re in the window and need that cherry on top to make the difference. But if you’re a team like us they make bugger all difference.

Need the core of your squad to be developed from within instead of bought. Then once competitive you can add the missing pieces via marquee signings…

@Gazlord95 said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

That’s fair, but hey theres so many question marks I’m still excited about watching the team play next year.

Yeah its like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get, my motto is always as long as competitive and close to the 8 - Real expectations in 2022/23.

@Aesopian said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

Marquee players effects are a bit of a myth tbh. Some say Grant is that, we had him and still finished well outside the 8.

Those players are great when you’re in the window and need that cherry on top to make the difference. But if you’re a team like us they make bugger all difference.

Need the core of your squad to be developed from within instead of bought. Then once competitive you can add the missing pieces via marquee signings…

Good point but an X factor is always a great option on the right Coin. Interesting to note with some much video review analysis nowadays the weakest link on the team will always be targeted.
Trick is to have all players confident and playing to the best of there abilities.

We will see how these new recruits survive the preseason and if we field a fit and healthy squad to pick our 17 from…the biggest key to our success will be the consistent,strong,defensive performances with winning results that lead us into the finals race in 2021…

IF WE GET RID OF THE OLD ADAGE"" we should have won that game""we heard it before,beat quality teams just to turn around the next weeks and get beaten by the bottom teams…if Madge can get these guys to put together consistently good strong performances week to week then we will be on our way to the 8 in a successful manner…I hope this will be the year we prove that we are an NRL top team and club…

What marquee is available right now ??? And how many players In Today’s game actually qualify as marquee ? Because JAC isn’t one as much as we all want to talk ourselves into paying. Winger 700k because it’s JAC? Perspective here . Morgan at NQ is on a mil a year . Even Angus Chrichton has only just recently earned something like the money he is being paid . We don’t need a marquee , we need a decent football team . And every single player bought is a direct upgrade on the one that preceeds them . And I’m sorry but Harry wasn’t that great at the end of the year playing dummy half . The game everyone remembers he was moved to lock . When all the magic went down , with Jacob Liddle playing dummy half . He’s a good footballer , but he’s not light years ahead of Jacob . Not yet anyway .
Your point about Mbye is valid . Doueihi doesn’t push around the footy enough for me at 1 . But he is safe as houses.
We are a better football team than last year .

@Tiger5150 said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

@Droppy said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

JA is on $360K. If Broncos chip in $100 to $140K, we get JO for $40 k at worst. He has more potential then JA IMO.
We should never deal with Tyran Smith again as he is the cause of this drama (manager of Adam Founa Blake as well).AFB on $950K at Warriors. That’s the reason JA saw chance for big dollars at Manly. If deal with JO falls through, we should ensure he is not granted a release unless a player of equal value is released to the Tigers.

I think that “banning” an agent is fraught with danger as it could cost you a key player. I remember Politis banned Tedesco’s manager until of course he wanted Tedesco. I do however think its a good policy to have a strong mix of agents representation through the club. That is supposedly part of the problem at Broncos is one agent has the majority of players plus the last coach.

Having said that Tyran Smith doesnt have many players on his books and Aloiai is probably the best so there would be little risk in making that statement.

I think you have forgotten AFB the bloke who started the musical chairs

I’m happy with the signings thus far but our defence was a major concern this year . The only improvement in our defensive issues I see so far is Benji going. I don’t see any defensive improvement so far with these new signings . However I remain positive cause that’s just what a West’s supporter has to do .

@Strongee said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

What marquee is available right now ??? And how many players In Today’s game actually qualify as marquee ? Because JAC isn’t one as much as we all want to talk ourselves into paying. Winger 700k because it’s JAC? Perspective here . Morgan at NQ is on a mil a year . Even Angus Chrichton has only just recently earned something like the money he is being paid . We don’t need a marquee , we need a decent football team . And every single player bought is a direct upgrade on the one that preceeds them . And I’m sorry but Harry wasn’t that great at the end of the year playing dummy half . The game everyone remembers he was moved to lock . When all the magic went down , with Jacob Liddle playing dummy half . He’s a good footballer , but he’s not light years ahead of Jacob . Not yet anyway .
Your point about Mbye is valid . Doueihi doesn’t push around the footy enough for me at 1 . But he is safe as houses.

@Strongee said in Joe Ofahengaue Next ??:

There really are not many TBH, but i was happy offering JAC a contract if he really wanted to transition to F/Back but doubted that was really ever going to happen.

Well next season we all hope so but in reality i can’t see us doing any better until we off load our Marquee signing and retain players currently that perform next season and out of contract.

Been a ex agrade coach , when putting a team together my 1st thought always was I need a forward pack that will hold there own at the very least . After that a need a 1/2 back who can lead the team around the park and implement my game plan . Followed by a good fullback who can talk and organise the defence line , other than that sometimes u have to make do with what u have , so let’s face it we don’t have the 1st thing on my list , a dominant pack , so until Madge can get a mongrel pack we ain’t going anywhere .

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme